What was a bigger disappointment: Prometheus, or Aliens: Colonial Marines?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Feb 16, 2013, 07:42:13 PM

So...?

Prometheus
24 (31.2%)
Aliens: Colonial Marines
53 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author
What was a bigger disappointment: Prometheus, or Aliens: Colonial Marines? (Read 5,196 times)

JCGAuthor

JCGAuthor

Quote from: demonbane on Mar 15, 2013, 02:55:02 AM
I don't understand all the hate Prometheus has gathered... up to point where people think AVP-R is even tolerable...
The only flaw of the movie for me was the captain just accepting Shaw's words and his crew getting excited about kamikaze attack. That was WTF moment for me. Kinda not smooth enough to take seriously. Other than that, I don't see how that movie even hurts Alien. Riddly said it just has a loose end. Not concrete.

Well, they were watching the juggernaut lift off the ground, and since they had just seen (on remote video feed, we can assume) the Engineer lay down the smack on Weyland and everyone else...I think that steered the characters' decisions. Remember that Janek had talked about this earlier with Shaw, after seeing what had happened to Fifield and Charlie.

Plus, Janek has seen what happens when you let a contagion run amok--in London, once.

Samus007

Aliens: CM by a long shot.

Terx2

Quote from: JCGAuthor on Mar 15, 2013, 04:28:26 PM
Quote from: demonbane on Mar 15, 2013, 02:55:02 AM
I don't understand all the hate Prometheus has gathered... up to point where people think AVP-R is even tolerable...
The only flaw of the movie for me was the captain just accepting Shaw's words and his crew getting excited about kamikaze attack. That was WTF moment for me. Kinda not smooth enough to take seriously. Other than that, I don't see how that movie even hurts Alien. Riddly said it just has a loose end. Not concrete.

Well, they were watching the juggernaut lift off the ground, and since they had just seen (on remote video feed, we can assume) the Engineer lay down the smack on Weyland and everyone else...I think that steered the characters' decisions. Remember that Janek had talked about this earlier with Shaw, after seeing what had happened to Fifield and Charlie.

Plus, Janek has seen what happens when you let a contagion run amok--in London, once.

Well said JCGAuthor :)

Quote from: Samus007 on Mar 15, 2013, 04:41:49 PM
Aliens: CM by a long shot.

About the size of Nabrasca ;)

nerdcricket

Colonial Marines because it wasn't fun.

Prometheus had flaws but it was entertaining from beginning to end.

Topgun1983

I think both were good. Prometheus was a stunning film visually and a better film then people state. Let's remind ourselves it wasnt made for just "us" fans.

The film had to get new viewers interested, and in my opinion it worked, i know of people who saw it and wanted to see Alien. Thus creating potential fans.

I hope A:CM does the same and helps make the Alien films fall into new viewers hands.

demonbane

Quote from: Topgun1983 on Mar 29, 2013, 07:50:53 PM
I think both were good. Prometheus was a stunning film visually and a better film then people state. Let's remind ourselves it wasnt made for just "us" fans.

The film had to get new viewers interested, and in my opinion it worked, i know of people who saw it and wanted to see Alien. Thus creating potential fans.

I hope A:CM does the same and helps make the Alien films fall into new viewers hands.
Do you seriously try to defend A: CM storyline? I seriously lost half faith in humanity...

ArmyGuyDan

Colonial Marines was a slap in the face, especially with the plot, Hicks didn't die on Fury 161

Gilfryd

Whether Colonial Marines was good or not it's still a video game and has nowhere the amount of impact a movie would... people have waited since 1979 to find out what the Alien really is and Prometheus dropped the ball imensely by not deciding what the hell it wanted to be. An Alien prequel or a new sci-fi/horror film.

predxeno

I disliked Prometheus the most; A:CM mp actually became addictive for me.

Dark Blade Hunter

Dark Blade Hunter

As a fan of Alien I didn't find prometheus  a good prequel, as a fan of Aliens I didnt find aliens colonial marines a good sequel, just my opinion.

HappyAlien

Many non hard-core Alien people actually liked Prometheus. My two friends who know Alien and Aliens but are not huge fans like me actually enjoyed Prometheus due to not having so many expectations like me. It also got some good reviews.

ACM on the other hand was a terrible glitchy game which i had been waiting for for six years, yet looked like something that had been made in a rush like six months. At least Prometheus was nice to look at (the deacon could have been better). Prometheus had good visuals compared to other films released in 2012 while ACM looked like a 2005 game.

Can't believe ACM still has a whole section on this forum dedicated to it. It was really bad there were about 300 games released in the past year that were better, one of the worst shooters ever! We just all bought it cause it was set in the Aliens universe.

predxeno

Quote from: HappyAlien on Apr 29, 2013, 03:03:37 AM
Can't believe ACM still has a whole section on this forum dedicated to it. It was really bad there were about 300 games released in the past year that were better, one of the worst shooters ever! We just all bought it cause it was set in the Aliens universe.

This pretty much describes Prometheus as well.

SM

How?

Prometheus came in at 18th in worldwide grosses, and got markedly better reviews than A:CM.  Neither was there 'the worst ever' anything Prometheus.

predxeno

Well, I was under the impression that most fans on this site saw the movie simply cause it was tied to the Alien universe; personally, I wouldn't have given it a second glance if it wasn't.  Also, I got the distinct impression that this film was designed more for the casual viewer rather than for the hardcore Alien fan; that was why it no longer was a direct Alien prequel, right?

SM

It wasn't a direct Alien prequel 'cos that's what Riddles wanted.  Probably freed him up a bit.  If Gearbox hadn't done a direct sequel to Aliens, they might not have f**ked up the story so badly.

And you have to appeal to casual viewers; the Alien fanbase isn't big enough to warrant a film that doesn't.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed