Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Started by Chris!(($$))!, Mar 04, 2015, 02:36:00 AM

Retcon, Reboot, Sequel: Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Yes.
39 (50%)
No.
32 (41%)
Cameo/Supporting Characters at the most.
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author
Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP? (Read 12,168 times)

Jarac

Quote from: Murfy426 on Mar 09, 2015, 02:07:42 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 09, 2015, 02:00:34 PM
Quote from: Murfy426 on Mar 09, 2015, 01:57:36 PM
As supporting characters ripley and hicks would be great to have back but after Michael Biehn's vocal performance in colonial marines I have my doubts, hicks sounded like a shadow of his former self
That is because Michael could not be bothered, he felt there was no passion in the game, he knew how bad it was.
If only he saw the sense to tweet "Hey everyone im not in gearbox studios recording voiceover for colonial marines the game sucks for the love of god wait a couple months till the game drops to £5 that way the heartache will be easier" ah if only if only

Pretty sure he wanted to, but that would have led to a broken contract and I'm sure he didn't want to deal with that crap.

NetworkATTH

What would the point of this sequel be, if they didn't have Ripley and Hicks, when what the selling point of even making it is that.

Vrastal

I would have loved a new cast, setting and characters.Finding the aliens somewhere else on a distant planet where theres a colony but it isnt some rock that you have to teraform

Gilfryd

If they bother bringing them back why go with cameos? Make them the damn main characters or not at all.

This will devolve into a ramble but bear with me -
Spoiler
I don't have a problem with the idea of Hicks, Newt, etc. being killed off. Alien 3 just did it in the worst way possible. In the opening credits? Come on. It's just the first example of Alien 3 going so far out of its way to be grim and 'nihilistic' that it becomes obnoxious, made even worse by the film's clusterf**k of a production.

I mean imagine if Ripley had been killed off at the start of Aliens. You know her hospital nightmare? What if they tried to really pass off an Alien coming out of nowhere, offing our established character, and having a repeat of the first film with a single Alien onboard a space station. That's what 3 largely feels like to me. Aliens expands on Alien so nicely in how it segues from Scott's vision of that world (the opening) to Cameron's (the first shot of the Sulaco). 3 doesn't do that at all, it's such a massive step backwards and a missed opportunity on Fincher and Fox's part. Not that it isn't an action film or that certain characters were killed, just in how it went about all that. The only thing story wise that really works for me is how Ripley became one with the Alien and sacrificed herself. The rest is an overwhelmingly grim disappointment. /rambleover
[close]

Jarac

Quote from: Nazrel on Mar 09, 2015, 06:39:05 PM
I would have loved a new cast, setting and characters.Finding the aliens somewhere else on a distant planet where theres a colony but it isnt some rock that you have to teraform

Exactly. Out the Shadows was a pretty good book. But it had one glaring issue: Ripley was in it and she didn't need to be! They shoe-horned her in for no good reason! The characters were already original and likable. The story/premise was already good. I'm fine with Ripley, Hicks and Newt returning for the new movie, but we need new stories that don't shove Ripley in all of the time (like a lot of the comics).

NickisSmart

Option 1, New characters. The problem with having new characters is making them as interesting/awesome as the old characters. A lot of the times, this is a fluke that happens by blind luck, which is never a good thing to be told when making a gamble. Also, killing off old, beloved characters isn't always a good idea, as it can polarize fans.

Option 2, Old Characters, New Actors. The problem with keeping old characters but recasting them is they'll use the wrong actors/cast actors who look, sound and act nothing like the original actors did. It's bound to happen. Just look at the guy they cast for Kyle Reese in the upcoming Terminator flick. Just not right. Or the oracle actor switch in the third Matrix (unfortunately necessary in that case, but still quite jarring and unsuccessful).

Option 3, Old characters, Old Actors. The problem with keeping the old characters and original actors is that they're, well, old. It limits what you can do with the story provided the make-up department and digital effects crew aren't willing to make the cast younger. Which is a lot harder to do than make a young person look old. It's doable, but honestly the voice is still going to sound old (while I enjoyed the DLC for Alien: Isolation, Yaphett Koto sounds positively ancient) unless you have a voice actor do the voice effects, and then there isn't much point in having the original actor to begin with. You might as well go back to option 2.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 09, 2015, 10:10:38 PMExactly. Out the Shadows was a pretty good book. But it had one glaring issue: Ripley was in it and she didn't need to be! They shoe-horned her in for no good reason! The characters were already original and likable. The story/premise was already good.

Yeah, this.

I thought the book would've been infinitely better if Ripley had just stayed in hypersleep on the shuttle, but Ash had actually got more involved in screwing the other survivors. Ash's survival was a great idea that was completely underutilised in the end.

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 10, 2015, 08:29:11 AM
Quote from: Jarac on Mar 09, 2015, 10:10:38 PMExactly. Out the Shadows was a pretty good book. But it had one glaring issue: Ripley was in it and she didn't need to be! They shoe-horned her in for no good reason! The characters were already original and likable. The story/premise was already good.

Yeah, this.

I thought the book would've been infinitely better if Ripley had just stayed in hypersleep on the shuttle, but Ash had actually got more involved in screwing the other survivors. Ash's survival was a great idea that was completely underutilised in the end.

Ash was too much as well, his characterization was messed up and over the top, not too mention illogical for a robot who now only be a set of programs or code (which means there should be no emotions or emotional behavior but alas he is a stalker obsessed with Ripley), I didn't like him in it.

oduodu

oduodu

Maybe the people at hadleys hope did get messages back about the  outbreak. Who's to say it just got ignored by WY deliberately ??

OP

I voted for the retcon with hix noot ellen. But I think in my heart of hearts RIP is the best way to go. Prometheus started a new arc I alien 5 should start its own.....

Glad about the movie being made but if it doesn't pull in new fans perhaps prometheus will justify itself. Who knows.

I fear alien 5 flopping and alien 3 justifying the route it took.

Hope not but ......

Like hudson said: that be a switch !!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: oduodu on Mar 15, 2015, 05:36:17 PMMaybe the people at hadleys hope did get messages back about the  outbreak. Who's to say it just got ignored by WY deliberately ??

Why would they send the message directly to W-Y at not colonial administration? A distress call would likely go out on a general frequency so as many people as possible could hear it and react.

Feeds On Minds

a retcon is extremely divisive right out the gate; especially at a time when everyone is already constantly bitching about all the remakes/reboots/rehashes.  A NEW story with NEW characters is something EVERYONE could easily get behind.  I strongly feel this is the worst way to etch your name into the Alien series.  Directors that have damaged the series in the past, have made permanent enemies out of Alien fans; personally I will NEVER watch another film from that hack Paul Anderson or The Brothers Strause.  All I can say is...tread carefully Blomkamp.

oduodu

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 16, 2015, 08:32:57 AM
Quote from: oduodu on Mar 15, 2015, 05:36:17 PMMaybe the people at hadleys hope did get messages back about the  outbreak. Who's to say it just got ignored by WY deliberately ??

Why would they send the message directly to W-Y at not colonial administration? A distress call would likely go out on a general frequency so as many people as possible could hear it and react.
Tht a very good point.

I just sometimes wonder why russ jordan getting facehugged was never reported to WY.

acheronbeing

Why can't they just ignore the joke that A:R was and continue after alien3 is beyond me. Well, in fact the explanation should be just as easy as to think this director is just one more of those shameful "Aliens" hardcore scrubs that made the entire fanbase look that bad with their cries at anything alien3 related when such film was released.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on Mar 17, 2015, 01:40:07 AMA NEW story with NEW characters is something EVERYONE could easily get behind.

This is one of the reasons the idea of a retcon rankles me. There's plenty of other things they could do without retconning stuff. There's just no need to write off existing films.

Quote from: oduodu on Mar 17, 2015, 03:07:25 AMTht a very good point.

I just sometimes wonder why russ jordan getting facehugged was never reported to WY.

I was really hoping the recent book River of Pain, about the fall of Hadley's Hope, would offer up some kind of explanation for why no distress call was apparently sent, but sadly it didn't.

windebieste

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on Mar 17, 2015, 01:40:07 AM
a retcon is extremely divisive right out the gate; especially at a time when everyone is already constantly bitching about all the remakes/reboots/rehashes.  A NEW story with NEW characters is something EVERYONE could easily get behind.  I strongly feel this is the worst way to etch your name into the Alien series.  Directors that have damaged the series in the past, have made permanent enemies out of Alien fans; personally I will NEVER watch another film from that hack Paul Anderson or The Brothers Strause.  All I can say is...tread carefully Blomkamp.

^ This.  I Absolutely, 100% agree with every word written here.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed