Should they make a game like Aliens after Isolation?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 29, 2014, 03:04:50 PM

Author
Should they make a game like Aliens after Isolation? (Read 6,375 times)

DwayneHicks

What I was trying to say earlier in the thread  originally it would be cool having  Dwayne Hicks and Ellen Ripley, or even a different character in an Alien Isolation type game or  even a Dead Space type of game. 

Xenomorphine

Unless it's something with an extraordinarily good squad-based system (with decent AI to match), the only way to differentiate it from becoming yet another 'Doom' clone with 'Alien' set design is to allow an Alien single-player campaign (or even just exclusively that). Otherwise, it's just another human-running-around-with-guns thing and those have essentially been ten a penny for decades. Even if the presentation of 'Colonial Marines' had been polished up, it would have still been left with that problem (which would have meant it was effectively going up against the 'Call Of Duty' and 'Halo' games).

'Isolation' has defined itself by going down the alternative route of making you helpless. Not sure that can really be sustained for terribly long before the novelty wears off, though. Most people purchase these things because they want to feel empowered, not play as a victim. And you'll notice even that title has apparently realised it needs to force you to face off against synthetics and such, to spice events up.

szkoki

so why not CA bringing its own (hopefully loveable) characters from Isolation to another story, to another game(slightly action based one) like the movies did ? AVP & AVP2 were great action-horror games. so yeah it can be done or could be done even better

OpenMaw

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 08, 2014, 12:33:36 AM
'Isolation' has defined itself by going down the alternative route of making you helpless. Not sure that can really be sustained for terribly long before the novelty wears off, though. Most people purchase these things because they want to feel empowered, not play as a victim. And you'll notice even that title has apparently realised it needs to force you to face off against synthetics and such, to spice events up.

These kind of games have a really strong following these days thanks to Amnesia and Outlast. The best part of the other encounters is not that they force you to engage them, no no, it's at least from what we've heard, much more dynamic and that things won't always play the same twice.

Honestly if Monolith circa FEAR could get their hands on the Aliens license and do a straight up ALIENS game with that same kind of unrelenting tone, and those same kind of atmospheric scares, getting in your head, you could do a really good action-horror game in the Alien universe without turning into just another Doom clone.

The big issue for most modern game developers is they seem to have forgotten how to do things without taking control from the player. Which for a horror game is effectively committing suicide. Nothing bothered me more in Doom 3, for example, than the cinematic cutscenes that took control away, and did a little camera move to show me things, instead of just letting me stumble into a situation naturally and shitting myself as a result.

Vrastal

I want an Aliens sim like game.. customize your alien run around in third/ first person, find hosts, build a take over a colony. things like that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed