What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,222 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Finished Blood Of Elves, onto Time Of Contempt, not sure if I rate them as highly as The Last Wish so far.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Tender is the Flesh by Agustina Bazterrica (5/5)

This is a gut punch of a book and easily the best I've read this year, maybe even clinches my top 3 of all time.

Imagine all animals are wiped out in earth due to virus, and replaced by humans who are born and raised to be slaughtered like cattle. That's this book. Definitely not for the squeamish.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 26, 2021, 01:04:06 AM
Finished Blood Of Elves, onto Time Of Contempt, not sure if I rate them as highly as The Last Wish so far.

Just wait for Baptism of Fire which is my favourite.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Between two Fires by Christopher Buehlman (4/5)

This was such an unexpected find, and read! It's completely different from any that I've personally read. I tend to stay away from medieval type of books, it's usually because of historic, religious or most of them have magic which is not my thing.....but I guess you could categorize this as horror and it's amazing.

If there's more books that could incorporate horror and monsters and actually seem believable ( here's looking at you Witcher) than sign me up because this book killed it. Now, it is religious based, but it doesn't drown you in the subject like so many others of the genre can.

My only complaint would be that I didn't feel really connected to the main characters. With a book this size and scope, I thought it could've contained more personal touches with the main characters.

Other than that, I can honestly say I'll be reading this book again in the near future. I can't say that about 3/4s of the books I read. Well done!

Stitch

Stitch

Finished S by Koji Suzuki. After the weird disappointment of Loop, this was much more interesting, although it did feel like it was leading to a larger story that never happened. Maybe it's continued in the next book, Tide, but that hasn't been translated into English yet.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yeah I'm still waiting on Tide. Definitely read the Birthday collection if you can get it, one of the stories sheds light on events that happen after Loop.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 19, 2021, 10:16:11 PM
Yeah I'm still waiting on Tide. Definitely read the Birthday collection if you can get it, one of the stories sheds light on events that happen after Loop.
Finished Birthday a while back. I can't quite recall, but I thought the story that connected with Loop was contradictory to the events of S, so it makes me wonder what's supposed to be canonical.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Stitch on Jul 19, 2021, 11:02:57 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 19, 2021, 10:16:11 PM
Finished Birthday a while back. I can't quite recall, but I thought the story that connected with Loop was contradictory to the events of S, so it makes me wonder what's supposed to be canonical.

Sounds like Suzuki is finally doing what the movies did years ago: contradict all over the place. :laugh:

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Aliens vs Predator: Prey.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Earthworm Gods by Brian Keene (4/5)

I went in thinking this was a 'creature feature' type of book as it was recommended under a similar title. I gotta say that there's so much more going on with this book then just worms. In fact, there really only 2/3 of the book.

This book has an almost mythos quality going for it as there's worms, mermaids, cults, huge fish, etc. I mean, I seriously thought it was only going to be about worms and was very happy that it wasn't.

You truly get invested in these characters which is a huge part in this kind of book. A lot of authors struggle with focusing on one or the other but Keene does a great job in visualizing these 'things' and hoping that characters don't die.

I was so surprised by how much I liked this book that I instantly bought the second and will continue the story!

Do yourself a favor and ignore the title of the book and give this a read because it really is a treat!

Ingwar

Ingwar

The Fellowship of the Ring

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman (3/5)

I'm not much into vampire books but with how Buehlman writes and tells a story, he turns a genre that's been done to death (get it?) into a fresh tale of vampires in the dirty landscape of 1978 NYC.

The first half was a little rough to get through as the narration jumps back and forth but once it finds its footing, delivers an enjoyable dark read.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Children of the Night by Dan Simmons

Part vampire story, part overview of how f**ked up post-Ceausescu Romania was.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 28, 2021, 10:55:17 PM
Children of the Night by Dan Simmons

Part vampire story, part overview of how f**ked up post-Ceausescu Romania was.

I hate to admit but I've never read any of his books. I know of his writings, but never actually picked any up. I'm constantly reading about recommendations of his work.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Catching up on some old Star Wars books, namely X-Wing: Wraith Squadron.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed