What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,242 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 16, 2021, 12:53:26 PM
It's a 26 year old book. Well-worn as you can see. Reading it again for the first time in a decade.

Oh I love that cover! My first Aliens novel was an omnibus of the first two books, but a less exciting cover. I don't have it anymore though.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

The cover is what drew me to it. They also had Female War when I picked it up in a Hammicks bookshop in the 90s iirc. I ended up going for this and a copy of AvP Eternal.

Still haven't read any other Perry novels all these years later. Kinda hesitant to tbh since I heard a lot of people who generally have similar opinions on EU stuff to me shitting on his work.  But I still rate these pretty highly for spinoff stories.

Some of that may be due to nostalgia, guess I'll have to see how this latest read goes, only about 40 pages in so far.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Some of his work just feels immature to me. But to be fair, he doesn't have any more pieces on his own and his stuff with his daughter and her solo work is generally good. His Predator novel for DH Press is one of the best.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Isn't Perry&Perry the origin of the Yautja concept?

Stitch

Stitch

Finished Koji Suzuki's Dark Water. Decent anthology of stories. Ostensibly horror, but half of them are more about humanity's reaction to things.

Now on to Blade Runner 4: Eye and Talon.
Supposedly something about Tyrell's owl. Only one chapter in so far.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 17, 2021, 12:13:32 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 16, 2021, 10:47:17 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 14, 2021, 06:45:07 PM
Yes. We must know our enemy\s strengths and weaknesses

Better read Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty. It's more contemporary.

I'll read it as soon as our wise and can-do-no-wrong censorship approves it

Censorship? We are you from?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 17, 2021, 10:25:31 AM
The cover is what drew me to it. They also had Female War when I picked it up in a Hammicks bookshop in the 90s iirc. I ended up going for this and a copy of AvP Eternal.

Still haven't read any other Perry novels all these years later. Kinda hesitant to tbh since I heard a lot of people who generally have similar opinions on EU stuff to me shitting on his work.  But I still rate these pretty highly for spinoff stories.

Some of that may be due to nostalgia, guess I'll have to see how this latest read goes, only about 40 pages in so far.

Last time I read Perry's trilogy was 2-3 years ago. But I remember enjoying it a lot. While I think about it, it's pretty similar to Dark Knight trilogy. Earth Hive is Batman Begins - pretty good, but not perfect. Nightmare Asylum is definetly the best of the three and feels the most like self-contained stand-alone story. I absolutely adore the character of general Spears (Joker stand-in of that story with his own share of madness and unique philosophy lol) and how Perry was able to flesh him out - he feels much more threatening, calculative and "two steps ahead" than he does in the comic. Female War was for me what for the most people was Dark Knight Rises - frustratingly underwhelming in comparision to its predecessor.

Idk, concepts introduced in the third book just do not work for me . The idea of Mother Queen is just so over-the-top and silly for me. And 'cause the whole plot revolved around our heros going to the planet of Aliens to capture her, the plot itself doesn't quite work for me. I understand that Perry had to work with pre-existing material but the novel had its own share of problems. Like the idea of synth Ripley - to this day I'm not sure what's the purpose of it was. And without Keith's artwork already kinda "meh" story becomes just bland and uninspired. Yes, I prefer Female War comic over its novelisation because for me Keith's artwork elevates it quite a bit. IMO his grotesque high-contrast almost abstract in places style suits the story's depressing "universe is absurd" tone quite well, especially when we move to the scenes of destroyed Earth and people trying to survive in post-apocalyptic world overrun by Aliens.

And here lies my main problem with that trilogy. It's such a cool idea of Aliens coming to Earth, of people surving a la Terminator Future War but neither Verheiden or Perry were able to realise its full potential. Earth parts of that trilogy is some of my favourites in whole Alien EU but they're so few and far between, feel so secondary to the main plot it's almost like they're accidental. I think if not set entirely on Earth that story should've focused on it much more because IMO it was its most interesting and novel idea

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 17, 2021, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 17, 2021, 12:13:32 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 16, 2021, 10:47:17 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 14, 2021, 06:45:07 PM
Yes. We must know our enemy\s strengths and weaknesses

Better read Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty. It's more contemporary.

I'll read it as soon as our wise and can-do-no-wrong censorship approves it

Censorship? We are you from?

Dude, chill. It's just the last few days I took on persona of a communitic nuthead who reads Das Kapital as his Bible, blindly trusts his "leaders" and threatens to kidnap people for not accepting ketchup

For fun, of course. I'm from Ukraine, btw

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 17, 2021, 11:36:13 AM
Isn't Perry&Perry the origin of the Yautja concept?

They are. In AvP Prey and War.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 17, 2021, 03:34:15 PM
They are. In AvP Prey and War.

I feel my respect for the author diminishing...

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

By the minute? lol

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

A head full of ghosts by Paul Trembly...

....Easily the most disappointing book I've read in awhile. Had an interesting premise that turned into a rehash of characters, plot and "scares" that have all been done before, and better.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 17, 2021, 02:42:41 PM
I'm from Ukraine, btw

I'm Polish.

Gentleman Death

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 18, 2021, 07:47:28 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 17, 2021, 02:42:41 PM
I'm from Ukraine, btw

I'm Polish.

We have quite a story together, don't we ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed