What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,215 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Drood by Dan Simmons

So far I'm getting that Dickens was kind of a prick.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Little Star by John Lindqvist....

.... This was an interesting book as it starts out amazing and by the time you reach the end, you feel like you've read three different books and wish the author would've stuck with the first half.

The first two hundred pages or so, I was pretty engaged to the story. I really like the atmosphere and character development of Lennart, Leila, Jerry and ultimately Theres.

But what derailed it, for me, was the introduction to the next main character, Teressa. Now, I really like how the author went in to such detail of her story and how we end up where we do with her, but it was very hard for me to really care all that much.

I wanted to know more about what was going on with Theres, how she ended up in the forest, why she is the way she is, etc. That was why I continued and finished this book and was definitely dissatisfied. I feel like the book turned into a YA novel and about 450 pages into it, I was ready to be done.

I enjoyed the writing style and for those first 200 or so pages. There was some interesting things after the first half of the book that were fine, but sifting through 300+ more pages to get through them was not worth it.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Feb 06, 2021, 03:32:45 PM

.... This was an interesting book as it starts out amazing and by the time you reach the end, you feel like you've read three different books and wish the author would've stuck with the first half.

The first two hundred pages or so, I was pretty engaged to the story. I really like the atmosphere and character development of Lennart, Leila, Jerry and ultimately Theres.

But what derailed it, for me, was the introduction to the next main character, Teressa. Now, I really like how the author went in to such detail of her story and how we end up where we do with her, but it was very hard for me to really care all that much.

I wanted to know more about what was going on with Theres, how she ended up in the forest, why she is the way she is, etc. That was why I continued and finished this book and was definitely dissatisfied. I feel like the book turned into a YA novel and about 450 pages into it, I was ready to be done.

I enjoyed the writing style and for those first 200 or so pages. There was some interesting things after the first half of the book that were fine, but sifting through 300+ more pages to get through them was not worth it.

Thank you for the honesty, I hate getting started into a read; only to find that it wasn't worth the time.

I have a few favorite authors and was really excited for a new book from one, and I couldn't even finish the first 5 chapters.  Predictable and boring, what a real disappointment.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Feb 08, 2021, 12:42:32 PM
Quote from: Gentleman Death on Feb 06, 2021, 03:32:45 PM

Thank you for the honesty, I hate getting started into a read; only to find that it wasn't worth the time.

I have a few favorite authors and was really excited for a new book from one, and I couldn't even finish the first 5 chapters.  Predictable and boring, what a real disappointment.

...Yeah, it's a shame because it started out with such a bang and I really don't mind reading such extensive books. But the payoff was pretty weak. But I do like his writing style and still want to check out Handling the Undead...

The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum....

...I knew what I was getting into before I started this book, I'd read some reviews and grasped what was ahead of me which was good, as this book isn't intended for a 'enjoyable' read. Almost like watching one of those series you see on TV about despicable crimes except this time, your mind creates the images from the authors description of the events and wonders.

I'm glad that the sole focus of the book wasn't on what happened to Meg and her sister, Susan. But incorporates a first hand narrative from the boy next door, David. It was interesting to read his thinking at the beginning of these girls getting abused as he puts himself in the curious and victim blaming category. Luckily he does start realizing that things aren't right and try's to fix things. Although there were times I found it hard that he'd sit, watch and wanted to see where it went...but who knows.

I think if the book didn't incorporate more of his first hand account and some of the history with neighbors then this could've been a straight up Hostel type of book.

This is a different type of book as it's not about monsters, the supernatural, aliens or some unspeakable force from the grave, but real life people doing real life horrible things to a young girl for no reason other than to see what happens next...Not for the faint of heart.

kwisatz

kwisatz

The Forever War

rIdLeYs nExT fIlM jajaja

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Cool read.

Quote from: kwisatz on Feb 13, 2021, 12:49:07 AM
rIdLeYs nExT fIlM jajaja

The man is a national treasure  8)

"I will tell you why – it's all the things you just said and the fact that I had these epic Monopoly battles with my family when I was young" ~ Ridley Scott

https://twitter.com/CinemaBlend/status/5639504997

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

The Fishermen by John Langlan...

...What an odd book this was, in a good way though. I knew little to nothing going into this book which was probably a good thing, however, I would also like to let anyone else who decides to read this know that the first part of this book is kinda hard to get through. It's slow...and honestly, the main character of Abe is boring. But once you get past that first 60 pages or so, the story jumps out at you.

It was nice to read a book that seems to have placed itself into several genres that the author was able to wrap into one. Now, it can be disjointed at time, but it's still very much worth the read.

Parts horror, folklore, cosmic horror, you don't know how to classify this book which makes it pretty cool. You'll want to go fishing in search of odd fisherman tales of magic, leviathans and nymphs, but want to stay away for the same reason. I promise you'll never look at casting a rod and wonder what's at the end of the line the same again.

Ingwar

Ingwar

First Person Singular, a collection of eight stories by Haruki Murakami.

Kradan

Kradan

Das Kapital

Kradan

Kradan

Yes. We must know our enemy\s strengths and weaknesses

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

It's a 26 year old book. Well-worn as you can see. Reading it again for the first time in a decade.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 14, 2021, 06:45:07 PM

Better read Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty. It's more contemporary.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Still working on Drood, but things have gotten f**king nuts these past few chapters.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 16, 2021, 10:47:17 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 14, 2021, 06:45:07 PM

Better read Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty. It's more contemporary.

I'll read it as soon as our wise and can-do-no-wrong censorship approves it

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed