What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,221 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 12, 2021, 11:26:33 PM
Rasen follows the book up to a point. Loop basically rewrites the rules of the series, I'm trying not to give away too much.
What the absolute f**k did I just read? I liked Ring, thought Spiral was even better, but Loop, instead of following the trend, just kinda shits the bed.

About halfway through, it made me feel like the previous two books were pointless, and then it starts getting all philosophical, and then... Wow. Just... I don't even know. It's just kinda stupid.

I bought Birthday, because I enjoyed the first two so much, and now I don't know if I even want to read it.

Considering the film series has made movies based on every book except this one, (possibly for a good reason, although I haven't read the last 3 books, obviously) I'm wondering whether it would have been better just to skip it entirely.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Stitch on Jan 25, 2021, 11:15:01 AM
Rasen follows the book up to a point. Loop basically rewrites the rules of the series, I'm trying not to give away too much.
What the absolute f**k did I just read? I liked Ring, thought Spiral was even better, but Loop, instead of following the trend, just kinda shits the bed.

About halfway through, it made me feel like the previous two books were pointless, and then it starts getting all philosophical, and then... Wow. Just... I don't even know. It's just kinda stupid.

I bought Birthday, because I enjoyed the first two so much, and now I don't know if I even want to read it.

Considering the film series has made movies based on every book except this one, (possibly for a good reason, although I haven't read the last 3 books, obviously) I'm wondering whether it would have been better just to skip it entirely.

The only real reason they never adapted Loop was because the Spiral movie was a major bomb in Japan, and they basically rebooted the series with Ringu 2 and pretended Rasen never happened. I'd recommend reading Birthday all the same, only one of the three stories is directly tied to Loop. One takes place during Spiral, the other is a prequel story that Ring 0 is based on.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 25, 2021, 08:57:48 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Jan 25, 2021, 11:15:01 AM

The only real reason they never adapted Loop was because the Spiral movie was a major bomb in Japan, and they basically rebooted the series with Ringu 2 and pretended Rasen never happened. I'd recommend reading Birthday all the same, only one of the three stories is directly tied to Loop. One takes place during Spiral, the other is a prequel story that Ring 0 is based on.
Ironically, despite Ring 2 being a replacement sequel, the following movies don't go on from that continuity. Sadako 3D & Sadako 3D 2 follow Rasen and are supposed to be adaptations of S, the 5th book. Although Sadako (2019), is theoretically a follow on from Ring 2, and is supposedly in adaptation of Tide, the 6th.

Tide hasn't been translated to English, and however much I like Birthday will decide if I read S.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Star Wars: The Truce At Bakura

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

The Troop by Nick Cutter...

.... If you don't like worms, bugs, gore or some animal cruelty, steer hard left and clear!

This was a well written and played out book. The news reports, magazine articles and interviews with military and scientists papered in throughout the book was a huge plus. It carried the story along and helped fill in gaps regarding how this "infection" was being handled.

I liked the basic setup of people being isolated on a small island due to a infectious individual who shows up during a camping trip and completely spirals down from there. And being able to focus on 4-5 characters was nice as you want to know how these kids go about thinking and doing the things they do.

I can also say that this was a pretty intense book at times. There is detailed explanations of how this altered "worm" affects ones mind and body, usually ending in gory fashion.

The book reminded me slightly of the kids from Lord of the Flies and the gross out factor of the movie Cabin Fever. Nonetheless, it was a great read!

Huggs

Huggs

The house on garibaldi street

Ingwar

Ingwar

Corpus Chrome, Inc. by S. Craig Zahler. It's his fourth book I'm reading and as always I'm not disappointed.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 05, 2021, 08:33:58 PM
Corpus Chrome, Inc. by S. Craig Zahler. It's his fourth book I'm reading and as always I'm not disappointed.

It's arguably his most ambitious book.

Ingwar

Ingwar

My favourite so far is Wraiths of the Broken Land, unfinished Ridley Scott's project (I hope I'm wrong).

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Wraiths and Congregation are my favorites. Not that Corpus, Hug, or Ganson Street were bad.

Ingwar

Ingwar

My second favourite is Hug but Congregation is also great. Haven't read Mean Business yet. There is also The Slanted Gutter, the newest one.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yeah I've had that one on my to read list for ages but it slipped my mind as of late.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Deleuze/Guattari: Anti-Oedipus

Pretty out there from time to time but compelling.

Huggs

Huggs

The Road

Stitch

Stitch

Blade Runner 3: Replicant Night

A sequel to Blade Runner 2, obv.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed