What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,250 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I confess to not having read the comic, but I distinctly remember Bueller being shocked when he discovers his true nature in the novel.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

In the book Bueller (Mitch) meant to tell Billie he was an Android but of course, shit went down and she only discovered it when he was attacked by an Alien on the Aliens home planet.

I really didn't mind the Android introduction but it was the "love" story that seemed pushed with Billie, that I think could've dealt without.

I finished Nightmare Asylum and started The Female War. I'm still not sure how I feel about Asylum. It's not bad but felt slowed down compared to Earth Hive, where there was multiple things happening in the book. Asylum was one continued story, which isn't bad.

I know in Resurrection they had mentioned wanting to "train" the aliens and in Asylum, Spears did that. I know the book was before the movie came out so it was interesting to read how Spears went about doing that.

Stitch

Stitch

My copy of Gears of War Bloodlines has arrived, so I will be starting that shortly. I'm currently in the middle of the HP Lovecraft collection on audio book, Frankenstein on another audio book, and Drafts of Dracula, which is a transcription of Bram Stoker's notes which formed the basis of Dracula, showing how the book evolved and what ideas were dropped before publishing. It's very interesting.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Uninvited by Paul Cornell

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Paris in the Twentieth Century by Jules Verne

An interesting attempt to forecast the future, with a surprising amount of accuracy in places, but it's ultimately a bit thin story wise and the main character is kind of an idiot.

Hug Chickenpenny: The Panegyric of an Anomalous Child by S. Craig Zahler

Just got started on this one but it's quite good so far, and very different from Zahler's usual material.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Gonna be starting on Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer soon.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 07, 2020, 07:29:08 PM
Gonna be starting on Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer soon.

Let me know what you think. I adore the movie and I want to check the books out.

Stitch

Stitch

Finished Gears of War: Bloodlines, and now onto the Halloween 2018 novelisation

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Finished Annihilation. Overall it's very, very different from the movie, but still an interesting read in its own right. Garland basically reshaped the narrative completely, and I can see why. It's a very vague, almost dreamlike narrative, exclusively told as a journal kept by the Biologist. There isn't as much going on, as well, with only two or three locations within a small portion of Area X being focused on. I'm curious to see how the trilogy plays out now, at any rate.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 09, 2020, 06:54:38 PM
Finished Annihilation. Overall it's very, very different from the movie, but still an interesting read in its own right. Garland basically reshaped the narrative completely, and I can see why. It's a very vague, almost dreamlike narrative, exclusively told as a journal kept by the Biologist. There isn't as much going on, as well, with only two or three locations within a small portion of Area X being focused on. I'm curious to see how the trilogy plays out now, at any rate.

It's one of the most surreal books I have ever read.

Salem's Lot

It is my favourite book of all time.  I read it once a year

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Authority by Jeff VanderMeer

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel on this one. There's a fair amount of interesting stuff here, a couple of very creepy scenes, some interesting background on Area X, and really well done bit near the end once shit really starts hitting the fan. But it's also a bit slow and a little repetitive, with endless space allotted to Control clashing with the Assistant Director and musing on his mommy issues. And there's one really annoying part later on where Control uses a computer program where he has to push CTRL over and over again, and VanderMeer insists on hammering in the irony of Control pushing CTRL to the point where I wanted to throw the book at the wall. But it ends in a really interesting place and I'm curious to see where Book 3 goes.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Morningstar by Peter Atkins

Debut novel by the Hellraiser 2 & 3 scriptwriter. its an interesting story, but let down by some of its focus

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 14, 2020, 06:49:16 PM

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel on this one. There's a fair amount of interesting stuff here, a couple of very creepy scenes, some interesting background on Area X, and really well done bit near the end once shit really starts hitting the fan. But it's also a bit slow and a little repetitive, with endless space allotted to Control clashing with the Assistant Director and musing on his mommy issues. And there's one really annoying part later on where Control uses a computer program where he has to push CTRL over and over again, and VanderMeer insists on hammering in the irony of Control pushing CTRL to the point where I wanted to throw the book at the wall. But it ends in a really interesting place and I'm curious to see where Book 3 goes.

If you're not into Kafka, Authority might be a tough sell. The good news is Acceptance is much more straightforward in the spirit of the first book. But, as no book does, it still doesn't remotely approach the creep-factor of Annihilation.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Hudson on May 16, 2020, 10:08:31 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on May 14, 2020, 06:49:16 PM

If you're not into Kafka, Authority might be a tough sell. The good news is Acceptance is much more straightforward in the spirit of the first book. But, as no book does, it still doesn't remotely approach the creep-factor of Annihilation.

I like some Kafka.

Huggs

Huggs

Jaws

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed