What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,259 times)

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Finished Doctor Sleep and Gibson's Alien 3 Graphic Novel.

Followed up watching DS movie after reading the book and though I liked the movie on its own, the book was far better. I kind of wished I would've watched the movie first and then read the book.

I'm not really into reading comics or graphic novels so the Alien 3 book was kind of all over the place and a little hard to follow. I did like it although I'd rather have read it in novel form.

Started reading Earth Hive and will follow the book series from there.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Apr 21, 2020, 02:05:30 AM
I'm not really into reading comics or graphic novels so the Alien 3 book was kind of all over the place and a little hard to follow. I did like it although I'd rather have read it in novel form.

Have you tried reading the script itself?

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

I have not, although I did a search and found the draft online. That's on my list to read after I'm done with a Earth Hive.

Janek

Janek

Just started Alien: Prototype, its promising.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I finished Cibola Burn last night. I love the Expanse books. I'm entertained pretty greatly by both the show and the books equally.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Finished off A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe last night, and I enjoyed it very much. As with The Cold Forge the characters were all wonderfully written and developed!

Was planning on reading some Alien next, but I couldn't resist South China Sea any longer. Only a chapter in but even so it's fired a pretty awesome opening salvo.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Finished Earth Hive and for my first read of an Alien book, I really enjoyed it. I liked the whole messiah thing which led to earths demise. And I kind of wished they'd expand on that. It would've been interesting to see what happened to people when the outbreak happened, although I know that wasn't the main story of the book.

Characters were pretty interesting and I'm digging Billies and Wilks relationship. Not sure how I feel about the whole android thing with Billie.

Started Nightmare Asylum and I can already tell the pace is different.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Valdor: Birth of the Imperium

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Apr 22, 2020, 06:11:48 PM
Finished Earth Hive and for my first read of an Alien book, I really enjoyed it. I liked the whole messiah thing which led to earths demise. And I kind of wished they'd expand on that. It would've been interesting to see what happened to people when the outbreak happened, although I know that wasn't the main story of the book.

Characters were pretty interesting and I'm digging Billies and Wilks relationship. Not sure how I feel about the whole android thing with Billie.

Started Nightmare Asylum and I can already tell the pace is different.

You mean the relationship she has with Bueller (sp?)?

I really enjoyed that particular trilogy in novel form (I also have difficulties with graphic novels) and I think it has a lot to do with Steve Perry's writing. He seems like such an oddball, but his work never feels boring to me. I'd love to check out Shadows of the Empire at some point!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The whole android Marines sub-plot in that felt really tacked-on and illogical.

If you're (presumably) sending android soldiers because there's a high probability everyone's going to be killed and you don't want to risk actual human lives, why not just tell them they're androids? There's nothing to gain by programming them to think they're human.

It felt like little more than a really forced attempt to get an Alien-style robot plot twist in there, but unlike Alien, where Ash made sense, in Earth Hive it doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Glad I'm not the only one where that seemed to have been thrown in there. The relationship makes no sense and as of right now, doesn't do much for the overall story being continued in Asylum.

I understand wanting to include androids in the book as they were a big part in the movies, but maybe it could've been handled better.

Other than that the book was well done!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I thought it worked fine in the comic, but I've not read the novelization.

Huggs

Huggs

The Things - By Peter Watts

Always a fun read.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 24, 2020, 03:16:17 AM
The Things - By Peter Watts

Always a fun read.

Have you checked out the full version of "Who Goes There?" recently published as Frozen Hell? I guess it was a longer manuscript discovered within the past few years. It has 2 or 3 more chapters tacked on to the front. I thought it was a fun read.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 23, 2020, 03:01:35 PM
The whole android Marines sub-plot in that felt really tacked-on and illogical.

If you're (presumably) sending android soldiers because there's a high probability everyone's going to be killed and you don't want to risk actual human lives, why not just tell them they're androids? There's nothing to gain by programming them to think they're human.

It felt like little more than a really forced attempt to get an Alien-style robot plot twist in there, but unlike Alien, where Ash made sense, in Earth Hive it doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

I'm pretty sure they knew they were androids, but androids who were supposed to blend in with the human population.  Its been a long time since I read the trilogy, but I'm fairly certain it is mentioned in the novels that they knew.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed