What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,218 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Finished Alien: Prototype last night.

The necromorph was interesting, but I didn't care for the fact that it was basically just breathing on people and killing them. Didn't really care for any of the characters either.

I give it a 0.5 out of 5.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Just finished off Wiseguy, by Nicholas Pileggi. I'm pretty amazed by just how closely Scorsese stuck to the facts with Goodfellas. There are sections of the book that are translated word for word to the screen. Even the crazy shit like cooking their own meals in prison really happened. Just about the only crazy bit the movie made up was dangling the one guy over the lion pit.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The Cold Forge

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Really need to finish Doctor Who: Nightshade

The Old One

The Old One

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales.

SM

SM

Recently finished 1984 and Animal Farm again.  I think 1984 is possibly my favourite book ever.

Now reading Voices from S-21.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I think I preferred Animal Farm of the two.

Both amazing, but 1984 was just a little relentlessly bleak for me.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 07, 2020, 10:51:53 AM

Animal Farm also doesn't spend ages giving you an excerpt of a book within the book.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2020, 10:50:42 AM
Recently finished 1984 and Animal Farm again.  I think 1984 is possibly my favourite book ever.

Margaret Atwood thinks the coda's Standard English implies Big Brother's regime fell...

SM

SM

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 07, 2020, 04:29:37 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 07, 2020, 10:51:53 AM

Animal Farm also doesn't spend ages giving you an excerpt of a book within the book.

That was part of what makes it great.  Spend time establishing the world, creating questions in the readers mind how we got here - then telling them.

Quote from: FenGiddel on Feb 07, 2020, 09:05:00 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2020, 10:50:42 AM

Margaret Atwood thinks the coda's Standard English implies Big Brother's regime fell...

Yeah a few people have said that over the years.  I don't really buy it though.  There's no one to challenge the party.  They've created this 'perfect' regime where they control so much that unless someone nuked the entire inner party at once, they can't be removed.

We were going to use the party as model for the USM at one point.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2020, 09:23:12 PMYeah a few people have said that over the years.  I don't really buy it though.  There's no one to challenge the party.

What about the Proles?

SM

SM

There is no hope in the Proles.  I only have love for Big Brother.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Alien 3 unproduced screenplay comic.
Pretty fun read

Huggs

Huggs

The Shootist

We Were Soldiers Once...And Young

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

On We Were Soldier's Once and Young

At one time Hal Moore called for artillery fire in Vietnam from his home town National Guard unit.  One of only two NG battalions to deploy in Vietnam.

Pretty coincidental. 

I know this because I deployed with that NG unit. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed