What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,227 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

You're talking about The Witcher, the first ever short story about Geralt written by Sapkowski and published in Polish science fiction and fantasy magazine Fantastyka in 1986. Sapkowski wrote it for a contest held by the magazine and won third place. At that time he wasn't even bother about writing anything else about Geralt.

Season of Storms is good but so-called saga (Sapkowski doesn't like to call it that way) is way better.

The Old One

The Old One

Oh, that's interesting I didn't know that.
I recently bought all the rest of them, and plan on reading through them all before replaying The Witcher 2 and 3. 

Ingwar

Ingwar

Word witcher doesn't exist in Polish dictionary. It's neologism. Sapkowski created it from wiedźma (female witch) as male equivalent of witch in Polish language isn't wiedźmin but czarnoksiężnik or czarownik (based upon verb czarować which means to cast spell, to hex). Polish word czar means spell.

So basically, wiedźmin (witcher) is male equivalent of wiedźma (female witch). He just made it masculine. By the way, Sapkowski prefers wiedzmin to be called hexer. I prefer witcher.

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2010/04/12/the-witcher-first-impression/

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 15, 2019, 07:41:04 PM
I recently bought all the rest of them, and plan on reading through them all before replaying The Witcher 2 and 3.

Enjoy reading. It's a long journey but it's worth it!

The Old One

The Old One

Hexer is good, but I indeed prefer Witcher.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Reading the Colonial Marine Tech Manual again. Previously have only skimmed it.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't find it invigorating but it's a neat collection of trivia.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Almost Human by Sylvain Neuvel

The final book of the excellent Themis Files trilogy

Wweyland

Wweyland

Also finished all the Predator novels for my list of best Predator books.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Surprised to see Concrete Jungle so high on the list. I honestly struggled to finish that one.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 20, 2019, 08:25:30 AM
Surprised to see Concrete Jungle so high on the list. I honestly struggled to finish that one.
Yeah, it's not great, not terrible. But still a classic and probably the best from the "original trilogy".

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I really didn't get on with the early Predator novels. Found the writing totally lacklustre, but thinking back I read them off the back of marathoning the entire Bantam Aliens series, so maybe I was just a bit burned out by generally-not-all-that-inspired film tie-in novels. I should probably give them another go at some point.

Also, Predator novelisation but no Predator 2? :P

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 20, 2019, 08:53:31 AM
I really didn't get on with the early Predator novels. Found the writing totally lacklustre, but thinking back I read them off the back of marathoning the entire Bantam Aliens series, so maybe I was just a bit burned out by generally-not-all-that-inspired film tie-in novels. I should probably give them another go at some point.

Also, Predator novelisation but no Predator 2? :P
Predator novelization is more interesting and did not want to include both. I do mention it though!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Fair. It is pretty whack. Suffered for me though because it felt as though everything that was different made the story objectively worse. It's a neat curio but I didn't think it was an especially good book.

Second was a far better read in every regard, I thought.

Huggs

Huggs

The life-changing magic of tidying up: The Japanese art of decluttering and organizing

Wweyland

Wweyland

Been reading Alien and Predator stuff for 1,5 years nonstop and am actually almost finished and kind of fed up as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed