What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,218 times)

Wysps

Wysps

Same.  There definitely is a notable difference between when she writes solo and when she shares the writing with her dad, though I still find Prey an enjoyable read  :) 

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Stephani is less all that is man.

I dont mind Steve but also prefer Stephani.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 08, 2019, 04:48:36 PM
Quote from: FenGiddel on Jun 07, 2019, 11:51:17 PM
Finished "Caliban's War", by James S. A. Corey

I freaking flew through that one! I've got 3 waiting for its turn but I'm currently reading Triumphant, the last of the Genesis Fleet books. Only just started this one.

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 08, 2019, 02:46:23 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 07, 2019, 09:52:15 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 04, 2019, 07:53:33 AM
God damn it! >:(

:laugh:
It was something like 60 EUR though. And it partly fell apart during reading.

I know for a fact the day I'd buy a copy, they'd announce the omnibus and I'd be sitting there with an $80 paperweight.

Take one for the team and freaking buy one then!!!  >:(

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 07, 2019, 09:52:15 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 04, 2019, 07:53:33 AM
God damn it! >:(

:laugh:
It was something like 60 EUR though. And it partly fell apart during reading.

Literally?
I left it in the car during a big heatwave. I think that loosened the glue and pages 1-50 fell out during reading.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That is just f**king harsh. Sorry to hear.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 10, 2019, 07:15:39 AM
Not a big issue, I am almost through the book and enjoying it a lot. Still, I think I loved Turnabout and If It Bleeds more.

Hudson

Hudson

Currently working on The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker. The one where the action of the whole thing takes place while a guy goes up an escalator during his lunch break and investigates his tangential interiority via footnotes and digressions. It's actually way cooler and more readable than it sounds. Also plenty of laugh out loud moments w/r/t verbal interactions in office culture.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jun 08, 2019, 05:19:45 PM
I'm on the last half and its already on my top 5. Not a fan of the books with her dad but her Aliens: Labyrinth novel is my favorite of all. I quite enjoy her writing.

I was planning on getting through the Rage War trilogy next, but I might have to check out Labyrinth first. I think that's the last Perry book I haven't yet read. The graphic novel is one of my favorites for sure, so I've been curious about the book but neglected it even though it's been on my shelf for a while.

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 07, 2019, 01:36:49 PM
Urban fantasy Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko:

Night Watch (1998)
Day Watch (2000)
Twilight Watch (2004)
Last Watch (2006)
New Watch (2013)
Sixth Watch (2014)

I'm finishing Last Watch at the moment. If you're fan of Neil Gaiman then give it a go. Urban fantasy at its best. It's dark, gritty, humorous and epic.

The movies were super cool, but I did not realize there were 6 novels in the series. Damn! I might have to check that out eventually.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2019, 07:00:22 PMI was planning on getting through the Rage War trilogy next, but I might have to check out Labyrinth first. I think that's the last Perry book I haven't yet read.

Honestly the Rage War trilogy are among my favourite AVP EU novels, if only because they made such a big break from the standard format.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 10, 2019, 07:21:19 PM
Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2019, 07:00:22 PMI was planning on getting through the Rage War trilogy next, but I might have to check out Labyrinth first. I think that's the last Perry book I haven't yet read.

Honestly the Rage War trilogy are among my favourite AVP EU novels, if only because they made such a big break from the standard format.

I probably wouldn't be as excited for them if it wasn't Tim Lebbon at the helm, but as I continue to iterate no matter how much people are tired of me saying it, I love Out of the Shadows. Not to mention he's reached kind of an entirely new level of relevancy with the Netflix adaptation of his book.

Glad to hear someone else is a fan of the trilogy. I missed the discussion when it came out but haven't heard much about it since.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2019, 07:00:22 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 07, 2019, 01:36:49 PM
Urban fantasy Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko:

Night Watch (1998)
Day Watch (2000)
Twilight Watch (2004)
Last Watch (2006)
New Watch (2013)
Sixth Watch (2014)

I'm finishing Last Watch at the moment. If you're fan of Neil Gaiman then give it a go. Urban fantasy at its best. It's dark, gritty, humorous and epic.

The movies were super cool, but I did not realize there were 6 novels in the series. Damn! I might have to check that out eventually.

Books are amazing. Way better than movies. No comparison! Just started the fifth one today.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2019, 07:37:54 PM

I probably wouldn't be as excited for them if it wasn't Tim Lebbon at the helm, but as I continue to iterate no matter how much people are tired of me saying it, I love Out of the Shadows. Not to mention he's reached kind of an entirely new level of relevancy with the Netflix adaptation of his book.

Glad to hear someone else is a fan of the trilogy. I missed the discussion when it came out but haven't heard much about it since.

I liked Out of Shadows alright.  Of the NEW EU I probably like it 2nd best of the newly released stuff. 

I liked the first book in Rage War, but thought it lost a lot of steam going into the second one.  I began to get some halo vibes.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 10, 2019, 01:43:38 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 10, 2019, 07:15:39 AM
Not a big issue, I am almost through the book and enjoying it a lot. Still, I think I loved Turnabout and If It Bleeds more.

That's a problem when something is as hyped as this, but so hard to get hold of! Though I 100% think Turnabout and If It Bleeds are fantastic. Along with SCS, all are 10/10s IMHO.

That was something I really loved about the Rage Wars too. I loved how they had a completely different feel to all the other EU. They're or 7 or 8s out of 10 for me, but I did thoroughly enjoy them. I'm wanting to re-read those at some point too.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 11, 2019, 02:28:50 AM
I liked the first book in Rage War, but thought it lost a lot of steam going into the second one.  I began to get some halo vibes.

I can see that. I always thought of them as a sort of soft hard/militaristic sci-fi and the Halo universe is very much in that vein.

And very nearly finished my book! I fly through these Lost Fleet books.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 11, 2019, 02:28:50 AMI liked the first book in Rage War, but thought it lost a lot of steam going into the second one.

The second one did suffer a bit from middle chapter syndrome. The first and last books were much better. But as a whole I thoroughly enjoyed them trying something markedly different with the licence. A very welcome breath of fresh air.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 11, 2019, 02:28:50 AMI began to get some halo vibes.

If anything it's more of a copy of the Mass Effect universe. Drop holes = mass relays, the Rage = the Reapers etc.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Now reading the Predator 2 novelization. I like the Predator POV perspectives and the fact that he analyzed the first Predator's hunt (the ship returned along with the information when the Jungle Hunter was killed).

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I really liked the Predator bits in that. They managed to shed some light on them without over-humanising them.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I enjoyed those parts too. Some really interesting insights. I need to buy myself an actual copy of that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed