What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,218 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I did read your review back when you posted it :)

Just wondered what Wweyland's own take on it was.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Alright. I'll shut my damn mouth.  :-X

Stitch

Stitch

The AR bits keep freezing in my phone, and so the interactive elements get stuck. It's a bit hit or miss as to whether you'll be able to complete the minigames. HTC U11 has no problems with power so it's gotta be the app itself. Kinda nullifies the selling point of the book, despite the rest of the content being pretty good.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 09, 2018, 10:55:33 AM
I never did pick that up.

Worth it?
It is similar to the Weyland-Yutani report, in a sense that it is very pretty, the pages are well designed and some of the information is very similar.
There are a lot of factual errors and it even contradicts itself with the dates - says that Aliens occurred in 2178 is some places, mislabels the Sulaco, etc. It takes a lot of material from the Colonial Marines video game for some reason but ignores some other EU sources. For example, some Alien types and weapons are from the game.

Haven't tried the VR stuff yet but I heard it looks very nice, I guess that is fun for 15 minutes perhaps.
I picked it up because I want to read all the EU stuff and it wasn't expensive, about 15 pounds at Amazon.
I think the book is a good representation of the state of the series canon - nobody really knows what is canon, you choose what you like, have fun with it and hope nobody complains.

The Old One

The Old One

Ugh.

I thought it was awful and a representation of things in the EU being taken far too seriously,
literally ACM is a joke for instance.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Does that mean you didn't buy it?

The Old One

The Old One

One copy, passed around between friends. I didn't buy it myself.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 09, 2018, 11:17:24 AMAlright. I'll shut my damn mouth.  :-X

:P

No offence intended, it's always helpful to get a second opinion!

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 09, 2018, 04:38:30 PMIt takes a lot of material from the Colonial Marines video game for some reason but ignores some other EU sources. For example, some Alien types and weapons are from the game.

I wonder if the game was still considered a big part of the canon when they started to put the book into production.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 10, 2018, 08:06:21 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 09, 2018, 11:17:24 AMAlright. I'll shut my damn mouth.  :-X

I was playing.  :P

SiL

SiL

"You Play the Girl", a series of essays about the depiction of women across various media. As depressing as it is informative.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 10, 2018, 08:06:21 AM

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 09, 2018, 04:38:30 PMIt takes a lot of material from the Colonial Marines video game for some reason but ignores some other EU sources. For example, some Alien types and weapons are from the game.

I wonder if the game was still considered a big part of the canon when they started to put the book into production.
That is likely.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Various Anti-Federalist writings, primarily Brutus and Agrippa

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Nth Doctor, by Jean-Marc and Randy Lofficier

An interesting look at the different attempts at a Doctor Who movie from 1987 to 1996. The authors do have an annoying tendency to be a bit fanboy-ish, though, like insisting on referring to a villain original to a script as The Master for incredibly weak reasons.

Hudson

Hudson

About halfway through the novelization of "The Predator." It is a very special book so far.

Quote from: Stitch on Sep 06, 2018, 12:46:40 AM
I'm actually part way through AvP: Prey, from Wayyyy back when. I got the Augmented Reality Survival Guide for my birthday, and David's Drawings arrived earlier today, but I'm going on holiday Friday, so figured I'd read them then.

Month delay in responding to this, but what are your thoughts on re-reading Prey? I read it again in the spring after years, and I loved it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed