What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,230 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

Would be great as long as they dont get caught up in endless fan service like Bug Hunt did.

Stitch

Stitch

I'm making my way through the original Aliens comic novel adaptations (in original print form, not the new omnibuses). Currently up to Genocide. They're as good as I remember.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Also received Aliens: Dead Orbit from the post office today. It's a lot shorter than imagined but looks great!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It doesn't break any molds with story-telling but it's damn fun story telling. Very good series.

I finished Expanse Book 1 at the weekend! Really enjoyed it! Eager to read more but trying to hold off buying any more of the series so I can try and get through more of my pile. I received the new Halo book at the weekend too and made a start on that. Enjoying it so far.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1st edition, 1st print hardcover)

First time reading the novel byCrichton. All I can say is "wow". So much different from one of my favorite all time films, and just wow. The Trex was a real sob in this book, and the raptors were great. The dilphosaurs were also much different (yet similar) than the film and the death of Nedry is far more gruesome here. Now I can see where some of my JP dreams come into play, maybe it's a alternate universe where we get Cameron instead of Spielberg and I swear some of the scenes in the book are former dream scenes. Weird eh? What a great book, onto The Lost World!

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jul 03, 2018, 03:03:48 AM
a great book, onto The Lost World!

Talk about a book that was different from the movie. It's been a few years, but I remember it was a completely different experience.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Lost World is... okay. It very much feels like a paycheck book from Crichton, and rather clumsily tries to follow both the movie and the book at the same time. Malcolm's resurrection is particularly silly. :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've only read the original JP but I remember it being brutal! And Hammond being an absolute dick. I loved it.

Local Trouble

Wweyland

Wweyland

Did Muldoon survive and use a bazooka on the raptors? Might have been one of my dreams.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Wweyland on Jul 03, 2018, 05:11:07 PM
Did Muldoon survive and use a bazooka on the raptors? Might have been one of my dreams.

He did. Gennaro got to be a badass, too.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

I enjoyed both JP and Lost World and I'm considering re-reading them as I'm currently reading "The Great Zoo of China" by Mathew Reilly which is basically Jurassic Park with dragons. It's a bit over the top sometimes but action packed and entertaining nonetheless.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 03, 2018, 08:04:00 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Jul 03, 2018, 05:11:07 PM

He did. Gennaro got to be a badass, too.
Spoiler
The guy survived a juvenile Trex and a raptor attack, he's so different from the movie version. I love how Grant flips on him at the end and Muldoon threatens him if he doesn't go into the raptor nest.
[close]

Wweyland

Wweyland

That sounds cool but the Clever Girl scene is really memorable and makes the raptors better villains

Necronom IV

Necronom IV

Presently, another careful study of the original Necronomicon making my own notes. They have begun to figure in my dreams again.

I think I am going to order a copy of H.R. Giger's ''Alien Diaries'' (Tagebuecher -- although a translation is provided, if you have a spare few hours a week, I suggest you buy an old pre-1950s accidence-and-syntax grammar, not a ''reform'' grammar or reading-grammar of any sort, still less a modern textbook (from my own experience the romantic or infantile-acquisition model, learning a language through examples rather than brute rote work, never worked with a single classmate of mine),  and devote yourself to learning German: you will need to learn every paradigm by heart, something I did while at school by reciting them to my neighbour's dog!) from Edition Patrick Frey. It only recently came to my attention.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed