What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,234 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 17, 2018, 11:27:58 AMAre you reading for the first time?

No, I've read it several times before. Just felt like getting back into the Potterverse. On that note, I also finished The Deathly Hallows, and now I'm sad there's no more.

I'm also a few chapters away from finishing A Game of Thrones. When it was first released over here (Sweden), they split it into two books. I only read the second half before getting into the show, so this is my first time reading the whole thing and in English. All caught up on the rest of the books though.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 19, 2018, 09:12:30 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 17, 2018, 11:27:58 AMAre you reading for the first time?

No, I've read it several times before. Just felt like getting back into the Potterverse. On that note, I also finished The Deathly Hallows, and now I'm sad there's no more.

There's also the script for The Cursed Child!

QuoteI'm also a few chapters away from finishing A Game of Thrones. When it was first released over here (Sweden), they split it into two books. I only read the second half before getting into the show, so this is my first time reading the whole thing and in English. All caught up on the rest of the books though.

Enjoy! I read them through about 5 years back! The first few books were simply stellar!

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 20, 2018, 08:57:07 AMThere's also the script for The Cursed Child!

Yeah, I read that when it was released. Didn't care for it at all, I'm afraid. :-\

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Fair enough.  :-\ I've not read it myself. Have you had a chance to see the play?

Shasvre

Shasvre

I have not. Truth be told, I think I'd like the play even less, given my disagreement with the casting choices.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 19, 2018, 09:12:30 PM

I'm also a few chapters away from finishing A Game of Thrones. When it was first released over here (Sweden), they split it into two books. I only read the second half before getting into the show, so this is my first time reading the whole thing and in English. All caught up on the rest of the books though.

I've honestly never read a Harry Potter book nor seen any of the films. I tried one of the books many, many years ago but never made it past the first twelve pages or so. Not my cup of tea. Probably because I'm not in the same generation that grew-up with those books. Loved The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring as a kid though.

I first read A Game of Thrones (and later A Clash of Kings) just after they were released in the mid 90's. And was like, "damn... it's pretty good, but why is no-one raving about it?"  :laugh:

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteI've honestly never read a Harry Potter book nor seen any of the films. I tried one of the books many, many years ago but never made it past the first twelve pages or so. Not my cup of tea. Probably because I'm not in the same generation that grew-up with those books. Loved The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring as a kid though.

I haven't read all of them or seen all the movies, but I re-read the first couple in the series two years back. Actually very lovely writing at the sentence level, especially for a genre book with a middle-grade target reader. I was pleasantly surprised and a peripheral 'goal' of mine is to eventually get through all these books.

XenoScorcher

XenoScorcher

Currently re-reading the Alien film novelizations 1-4. Prior to that I read The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven and The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven. Two fantastic Sci-Fi novels. Highly recommended!

Shinawi

Shinawi

I'm reading someone's Fire and Fury book. I was kind of disappointed. Anyone who pays attention to the news already knows most of what were mentioned in the book. And the things that Wolff revealed were not that shocking. On the other hand, it seems that he's being unfairly criticized over Nikki Haley. Wolff didn't mention her having an affair with Trump. There seems to have been an innuendo that wasn't about Haley, but I missed it. I'll have to reread the later part of the book.

TheRaven

TheRaven

currently I'm finishing up the novel version of Revenge of the sith - and also the fifth of the dark horse alien comic omnibuses.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Finished Predator: If It Bleeds. Great collection of stories, hard to pick a best one. Starting with Aliens: Bug Hunt.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's not as good over all as If It Bleeds but there's still a few really good ones in there.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Hug Chickenpenny: The Panegyric of an Anomalous Child (2018) by S. Craig Zahler (director of Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99).

Ingwar

Ingwar

A Congregation of Jackals (2010) by S. Craig Zahler.

QuoteIn 1888 Oswell Danford is living a hard but satisfying life as a rancher in Virginia when he receives an unexpected telegram. A wedding invitation should be cause to celebrate but not when it means he'll have to face past deeds that he's deeply ashamed of.

Now he and his brother, along with their ex-compatriot, an inveterate gambler from New York, will have to travel to Montana Territory to settle an old score they'd nearly forgotten. They will join the expectant congregation at the small town church for the marriage of their former brother-in-arms. But while everyone else will be wishing a blissful future for the happy couple, these men will be praying the darkness from their past doesn't devour the entire town. A Congregation of Jackals is an unrelenting tale of betrayal and revenge told with a precise brutality that will leave you breathless and haunted.

While Zahler is not a stranger to the Western genre he brings his own unique twist to the Wild West. He wrote and directed Bone Tomahawk, the breakout Horror/Western crossover film of 2015 and his novel Wraiths of the Broken Land is being adapted for the screen by Ridley Scott and Drew Goddard. Although these three works don't share characters or plotlines he considers them to be something of a thematic trilogy. All three share his fascination with revenge, betrayal and extreme violence in the defense of innocence.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm reading Predator: South China Sea at the minute. Blasting through it. Absolutely love this novel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed