Why are you an Alien fan?

Started by Roby, Mar 03, 2019, 09:38:45 PM

Author
Why are you an Alien fan? (Read 1,254 times)

Roby

Roby

I'm curious what aspects of Alien everyone is drawn to? What makes you especially excited about the films and what are you looking for in any new series or movies?

For me, it's the characters and dynamics between the crew members that I love the most. Also I love the exploration of new environments (whether it be the Nostromo or the destroyed colony in Aliens). The grit and grime of production design is awesome too!

As the franchise continues, what do you find is most important to hang on to?

It's something I've been thinking of as I get excited (and nervous) for a potential series. 

Kradan

Kradan

I'm consider myself as an artist so for me DESIGN of creature and enviroment is on the first place, i guess, when characters and narrative are on the second.

And now with prequels came out i prefer to see great ideas and concepts rather than great character's development.

Roby

Roby

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 03, 2019, 09:42:44 PM
I'm consider myself as an artist so for me DESIGN of creature and enviroment is on the first place, i guess, when characters and narrative are on the second.

And now with prequels came out i prefer to see great ideas and concepts rather than great character's development.

Yes, the design is definitely key! Alien wouldn't be what it is without the specific creature and production design.

TheSailingRabbit

My honest answer can be summed up in one name, and one name only:

Drake.

Not even joking. Finding Drake among Mark Rolston's filmography led me to the franchise as a whole.

Not the creatures or the art and design. Just the grumpy blond wielding a big-ass smartgun. That's why I'm here.

The Old One

The Old One

Ridley Scott's Direction, Ron Cobb and HR Giger's art.

Stitch

Stitch

I like scifi and horror. Alien is the perfect mix. I'm also interested in art, so Giger's design intrigues me.

I'm also a fan of the EU, because I enjoy interconnected stories and how they expand on the originals.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I had already seen it on VHS prior to 1986 so I was already pumped when Aliens hit theaters.  I saw it on opening day at a shopping mall theater in San Diego.

In order to recapture the magic, I saw Alien 3 in the same theater on opening day in 1992.  It didn't work out quite as I'd hoped.

I can't be sure why I'm a fan of this property and more than I am about Star Wars.  There's just so much to like about it.  Or, at least, there was...

Huggs

Huggs

Everything. The creature, the environments, the universe.

It's all so dark and nihilistic and sexy. Far more unforgiving than others dare to be.

It is wholly unique, like a strange and fevered dream. And down we go into the depths of Hell, with Ripley (a beautiful woman) as both Dante and our Virgil.

This darkness is alluring. I cannot help but love it.

Oasis Nadrama

Oasis Nadrama

I originally fell in love with the facehugger scene in the Foster novelization and with the Kenner toys. Then I read the book. Then I had to see the movie. I was just a kid.

Now I'm attracted by countless things in this universe, but mostly it's the retrofoture + biomechanical aesthetics and industrial/bureaucratic nightmare thematics which fascinate me, along with some really dirty biological concepts.

Also the way the organic horror answers the existential questions in Prometheus always gets me.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

At what point did it first disappoint you?

The Old One

The Old One

Resurrection myself.

Oasis Nadrama

Oasis Nadrama

Same. Saw the movie in theaters, I was 12 years old and so happy because I was exactly the right age to see it (it was forbidden to -12 years old kid) and I was such an Alien fan already and so happy to have the luck to finally see an Alien movie in theaters, and my grandfather took me to see it and well it was so bad.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

The entirety of Aliens.
It was the first the series I saw when I was younger, I burned out my VHS copy of the directors cut.

rafaelgg

rafaelgg

I fall in love with "Alien" since I watched the first film os spanish tv on 1980´s the only way I could see it because my father never bothered buying a VHS video player (He never has been very interested on movies) and we didn´t have one till I grew up, earned money and bought a Panasonic one.
  its unique iconography an production design, its state of the art cinematography, the perfect creation of an opresive suspensefull and chilling atmosphere....all that fascinated me.
  And about the entire quadrology; I admire the producer´s boldness about searching young new talent director as Cameron, Fincher, and Jeunet and letting them to put his personal touch on the saga (Even in the case of "Alien 3" and the Fincher´s problems with the studio you can still see the director personality in the finished film), It can be considered an unique case of "auteurs blockbusters franchise".

The Old One

The Old One

"Auteurs blockbusters franchise." Indeed. <3

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed