Why did Kane's death seem so much more painful than other chestbursters?

Started by Vakarian, Sep 04, 2011, 08:41:14 PM

Author
Why did Kane's death seem so much more painful than other chestbursters? (Read 5,305 times)

Ghostface

Because Ridley knows what he is doing

DiabloGuapo

Quote from: Ghostface on Sep 06, 2011, 09:06:34 AM
Because Ridley knows what he is doing
That and John Hurt is awesome.

StrangeShape

It wasnt more paniful. It was just longer for obvious reasons as others said, for first shock value and first reveal of the process ever. Others from Aliens and ALien 3 were just as violent. In Aliens the woman's chest was beging crashed and punched through very visibly, in Alien 3 the dog had quote a painful experience yelping and barfing as well. Even in AVP I thought it was the most disturbing for me because even tho it was much shorter and had almost no blood, the thing about suffocating and having a hard or painful time catching a breath was something that really affected me and made me catch a deep breath

icedog97

Quote from: StrangeShape on Sep 06, 2011, 10:38:46 PM
It wasnt more paniful. It was just longer for obvious reasons as others said, for first shock value and first reveal of the process ever. Others from Aliens and ALien 3 were just as violent. In Aliens the woman's chest was beging crashed and punched through very visibly, in Alien 3 the dog had quote a painful experience yelping and barfing as well. Even in AVP I thought it was the most disturbing for me because even tho it was much shorter and had almost no blood, the thing about suffocating and having a hard or painful time catching a breath was something that really affected me and made me catch a deep breath

I thought Ripley's "dream sequence" in Aliens was very believable and equally as painful...right up until when it didn't happen.

I also think the chestbursts take on a lesser meaning when they happen to secondary characters.

But it is worth noting that we do become accustomed to it...I don't think the scene in AR would have been like that had it not been for the director (or studio...not sure who wanted that) being intent on adding something new to the event.

SM

The shot down the throat was JPJ I believe.  The rest was Whedon's poetic justice.

predxeno

Something else of interest; none of the other chestburster victims ever vomitted while going through their birthing spasms.

StrangeShape

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 07, 2011, 01:00:48 AM
Something else of interest; none of the other chestburster victims ever vomitted while going through their birthing spasms.

They were probably too convulsed to vomit, plus the chestburster was coming out of the chest near the heart, not near stomach. Plus Adelle did spit blood out in the unrated version of AVP

SM

Could be because most of them had nothing to bring up other than bile.
Also could be the burster blocking the tube where vomit comes from.

Terx2

Maybe he took birth control pills ;D.

Quote from: SM on Sep 07, 2011, 01:18:50 AM

Could be because most of them had nothing to bring up other than bile.
Also could be the burster blocking the tube where vomit comes from.

That seems to make the most sense.

echobbase79

Quote from: samoht on Sep 05, 2011, 03:41:31 AM
We knew what was coming in the later ones and the later ones were also shit compared to the first one.

Yeah, the worst for me was the blond chick in AvP. Or the little kid from AvP R. Those had no impact what so ever. The little kid acted like he had some bad indigestion or something.

Divpax

Allow me to explain:

Aliens - Cameron wanted to tone down the gore, pain got toned down in the process
Alien 3 - Well it's hard to make a dog or a dead ox seem in pain
Resurrection - Well it would hardly fit in such a comedic scene.
AVP - PG-13, need I say more
AVPR - No one could F*cking act.

chupacabras acheronsis

indeed.

gore isn't that necesary. less is more, and good acting could have more than made up for the lack of it. in AvP and AvP:R, no one twiched, screamed, they didn't roll around in pain, they just moaned like they were taking a hard shit. didn't even got red faces. when Kane gave birth you could see way more than that, the pain felt real, like if it was happening.

guess the only way to film a good chest bursting with bad actors is to use tasers...

predxeno

For what it's worth, the chestburster design for AVPR looked weird; I think they were bulkier and there looked to be a ridge dividing the segment of the head that was going to be the dome..

Alien

AVPR

Vitriol

Ripley briefly throws up not long before her alien offspring makes an appearance...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed