Why did Kane's death seem so much more painful than other chestbursters?

Started by Vakarian, Sep 04, 2011, 08:41:14 PM

Author
Why did Kane's death seem so much more painful than other chestbursters? (Read 5,304 times)

Vakarian

If I was to say it would maybe be because the chestburster scene in Alien was meant to shock the 70's audience into something they had never seen before and spent more time on it. Or it could have been that John Hurt was simply a better actor.

Divpax

Both I'd say. Every other film went for a sort of silent chest pain (3 not counting because it came from an animal.)

SM

The shock value is much less in subsequent burstings because we know what's coming.

Vakarian

I know the shock value Isnt better in later films, it's just that Kanes death just seemed to be so much more agonizing and longer

Snowdog

It's almost the same thing as werewolf transformations in most movies. In Being Human UK you hear George scream because of the pain when he is transforming. You really feel sad for the guy at a moment like that. But in most movies it is just a flash and bam ! there is the werewolf.

SM

QuoteI know the shock value Isnt better in later films, it's just that Kanes death just seemed to be so much more agonizing and longer

They could get away with it in the first film because it's the main set piece for the entire film.  If they went down the same route with the longer bit of thrashing around and stuff, in later films the audience would just be saying 'Get on with it'.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2011, 11:17:46 PM
The shock value is much less in subsequent burstings because we know what's coming.

I dunno. A L I E N  was famous for that scene even before it was released. It's notoriety went way ahead of it.

My feeling is that it is the way in which it is set up; it's has a sense of suspense and even if you were new to the film you would still get the feeling that all isn't as well as it first appeared when Kane recovered from his coma. The subtle heartbeat playing throughout the last supper scene adds a subliminal feeling of unease so when John Hurt starts looking scared, like he's choking, it really plays to a lot of shared responses.

There's no music, no moody lighting - its all played out as if real, and to add to that there's genuine shock amongst the other actors, not just to the actual burst but to the absolute agony that John Hurt is portraying. I'm not surprised they got so wound up in the moment.

Other chestbursting scenes happen either to characters in which no vested empathy has been established (Aliens), or are played out as a themic juxtaposition or in a serene way (Alien3). Or in A:R as an effects heavy scene played out almost for laughs. By effects heavy, I mean the camera appearing to swept down the victims throat to view the chestburster diminishes the reality of human fear in favour of a visual trick. To then go OTT with a combined chestburst/headburst is practically a juvenile parody.

Bat Chain Puller

Because he's a great actor.

They don't call him John Hurt for nuthin'.

SM

samoht

We knew what was coming in the later ones and the later ones were also shit compared to the first one.

Stalker

The colonist who was chest bursted in Aliens didn't seem to be enjoying herself...

SM

It wasn't anywhere near as drawn out at the same time.

Some Mothers Do Have Em!

She had been cocooned though, so perhaps she was considerably weaker already. And given the fact she was cocooned I imagine that also inhibited her ability to carry on like Kane did as her movement was so restricted.

SM

That and Cameron knows we'd already seen this before, and his kicker isn't something popping out of someone's chest like it was in Alien.  It follows a couple of minutes later.

Marr

It was the first and at the time it was shocking........probably quite tame by todays "standards"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed