Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 735,058 times)

SM

SM

No. It could not have been achieved by a guy in a suit.

QuoteAbysmal compared with the runner in Alien 3 leaping out of the hot lead in the furnace to climb up after Ripley.

:laugh:

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Mar 29, 2024, 09:12:49 PMThe underwater sequence where the xenos look like they are straight out of a SEGA Saturn game? Could have been achieved with a guy in a suit (as per AvP2 swimming pool) - considering that had a guy in a suit underwater anyway for parts of that sequence, it made no sense to me.
You try swimming gracefully in 30kg of waterlogged rubber. They did as much as they could without drowning anybody (which meant doing less than they planned, as the suits were taking water and threatening to drown the performers).

AvPR had like two quick shots of a guy being pulled on a wire and that was it.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I actually think the underwater sequence was pretty well done and holds up alright.

At the time it looked really impressive.

The other shots don't look great and never really did but arent a big deal compared to the films other issues.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Even then Ron Perlman almost drowned I hear.

SM

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 29, 2024, 09:21:34 PMI actually think the underwater sequence was pretty well done and holds up alright.

At the time it looked really impressive.

The other shots don't look great and never really did but arent a big deal compared to the films other issues.

The best one was the Alien crawling into the lifeboat.

SiL

SiL

The Alien surging through the water to try to bite someone's foot is a cool shot, 90s CGI and all.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The Alien going up the ladder does look awful but, you are on crack, if you think changing the director or his choices might have saved that film.

It is the only thing making the script somewhat palatable.

SiL

SiL

Changing the director might have meant changing some of the ideas in the script, though.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Mar 29, 2024, 08:47:16 PMAlien Resurrection is one of those movies where it had all the elements to make a good movie, but was executed by a Director who was f**king clueless around how to handle an Alien movie.

If I could take the sets and aesthetic and keep it, but remove every Alien in the movie and redo them with decent designs, strip back the excessive KY jelly, remove every alien sound effect and replace them with something that sounds like a Xenomorph, replace half of the cast, use one of the infinitely cooler earlier newborn designs, completely redo the opening title sequence, cut back all the "jokes", replace the cgi ships with practical models, and redo the soundtrack with something that sounds like it belongs in the original trilogy... there's a good movie  hidden in there somewhere... I actually enjoyed reading an earlier draft of the script and picturing it differently that what we got.

Counter argument: the director salvaged a terrible script and made something at least interesting out of Whedon's trash fire.

solace97

solace97

Counter counter argument. A fourth Alien film following the continuation of Ripley should have never even been considered, following the fact that they specifically said they had killed her off in Alien 3 in agreement with Sigourney weaver to put her story to rest.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah which's why a film that feels like bizarro world's the only real viable avenue with that premise.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: solace97 on Mar 29, 2024, 09:32:43 PMCounter counter argument. A fourth Alien film following the continuation of Ripley should have never even been considered, following the fact that they specifically said they had killed her off in Alien 3 in agreement with Sigourney weaver to put her story to rest.

I agree with you, but they did it anyway, and Jeunet turns what could have been utter doghsit into an interesting and beautiful mess.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

But what about the egg on Sulaco?! >:(

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Regarding the cgi; I think there was some misunderstanding, I wasn't suggesting replace *all* the cgi with a guy in a suit; I'm saying (particularly in the case of the Alien films) sometimes less is more... there are indeed some cool shots as some of you have mentioned (the underwater bite was indeed cool) but I really, *really* think that whole scene needed tighter editing; there seems to be this necessity to show the alien in full; the whole reason the earlier movies work is we see shapes and movement in the darkness and our mind fills in the rest; in example - an awesome shot in 'Aliens' is the xeno leaping into the elevator with Ripley and Hicks, it works because we have this fast split-second shot of this huge thing almost tumbling through the door from the ceiling. If that scene had been in Alien resurrection, there would have 100% been a point of view shot from the elevator of a shit cgi full-
body glistening brown xeno running up the corridor towards them, followed by a mega camera zoom from the other side of the corridor to focus in on the characters expressions before it jumped in 😂 it's that kind of crap that needs to go... the underwater scene doesn't need that slow shot of two swimming xenos at all; instead Jona's scream could have cut straight to the fast moving near-miss bite and would have had more impact (and less focus on the 32-bit graphics xeno teeth 🤣) just as we didn't need the crap climbing xeno; there was a nice shot of it jumping out of the water, from there fast cut to it grabbing Christie's ankle straight from the leap, and then immediately to the nice practical close up of its face as it bares teeth.

I swear, when I have more time once my dissertation is submitted this year, I'll attempt a fan-edit to better demonstrate what I mean.. I believe there is an alright movie hidden amongst what we got, and it mostly requires leaving more on the cutting room floor... nearest example I could give in the original trilogy would be Alien 3 theatrical vs Assemblh... when Clemens is attacked, the theatrical cut 100% made the right choice to leave that awful-looking bite out..it's only a split second, but it looks cheaper for having it... I feel the same way about a lot of the cgi shots in resurrection. They aren't needed, but some snippets would really work nicely. 😊

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 29, 2024, 09:25:42 PMThe Alien going up the ladder does look awful but, you are on crack, if you think changing the director or his choices might have saved that film.

It is the only thing making the script somewhat palatable.

Definitely couldn't be saved... it's a shitfest whichever way you butter it up, but I do think it can be a shitfest that can be brought more in line with some better choices. 😅

(BTW, unrelated but when you get a chance, check your PMs - I sent over a link last night that I think you and @cancerblack may enjoy 😁👍)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed