The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 237,734 times)

happypred

Are there tentative release dates?

HuDaFuK

Not that I know of. The ad in the last novel just said "coming soon".

As I said, the reprint of Resurrection due in a couple of months might have more info.

Corporal Hicks

Last I asked Tim he said end of the year.

Ultramorph

Via Tim Lebbon's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/timlebbon/status/562310802443882496
Quote@timlebbon: PREDATOR-INCURSION novel delivered! #predator @TitanBooks

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Been a loooooong time since I've read any of these novels (read the Perry trilogy, DNA War, and AVP Prey a while back, and that's it).

The concept of this "trilogy" has me somewhat intrigued, though. Not sure if I see myself reading it, but I'd be curious to know what it's about.

happypred

I hope this doesn't turn out to be like Forever Midnight

Corporal Hicks

I don't want it to feature any culture for the Predators. I want something akin to South China Sea.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 04, 2015, 10:33:23 AM
I don't want it to feature any culture for the Predators. I want something akin to South China Sea.

This. As much as I love the Yautja aspect, I'd really rather they leave it alone so they don't muck it up.. like they did with the Hish.

happypred

I'm fine with predator culture...if it's done well. I understand that some fans want the franchise to retain a shroud of mystery around the predators...but if this franchise is ever to grow, I believe addressing predator culture is a must. It doesn't have to be too in-depth...just well-done and tantalising

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Feb 05, 2015, 03:56:07 AM
I believe addressing predator culture is a must.

The thing is Predator culture has been addressed. Covered over quite fair deal in the original Alien vs. Predator novels with the Yautja concept. We already know what their society is like, similar to Native American tribes and that they have a spiritual aspect to them and view the hunt as a large part of their culture. And if you accept the Yautja concept, and by a farther extention-- the NECA aspects of the Yautja concept (which.. is askewed in many ways) then why address Predator culture when it's already been expanded upon-- assuming of course they go with the Yautja concept?

All of that above of course assuming people take the Yautja concept as a legitimate thing.. which a lot of people on this forum, don't seem to really do.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 04, 2015, 11:51:41 PM
This. As much as I love the Yautja aspect, I'd really rather they leave it alone so they don't muck it up.. like they did with the Hish.

I remember enjoying the more reasonable Flesh and Blood version of the Hish. I think I might give that book a re-read soon - and the book actually.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 05, 2015, 08:44:16 AM
I remember enjoying the more reasonable Flesh and Blood version of the Hish. I think I might give that book a re-read soon - and the book actually.

I have had certain problems with the Hish and I didn't even read the books but rather asked around and listened to what fans had told me. Based on what I've been told, I highly doubt I would've liked them then and doubt I would've liked it now.

I didn't like the idea that they were more conquerors and slavers more than Hunters, didn't really like how they had made them a hermaphrodite species, and there were other ideas which were dumb.. Like.. Predator Kids playing "Mortal Kombat" with two mind controlled humans and forcing them to kill each other as entertainment, or Predator parents essentially setting their newborns on fire to see which ones lived who were worthy to live.

I will admit, it would've been... interesting.. I think that's the appropriate word (not saying good or bad) had Shirley continued with another book and retconned the Hish being a cousin species to the Yautja. That would've made a certain film entry in the Predator franchise easier for me to swallow (would've given fans room to say the mainstream Predators were the Yautja and the Super Predators were the Hish) but that's neither here nor there now.

Having that said Hicks, again I agree with you in that I don't want to see a portrayal of a culture here. Predator culture's been explored enough once in a span of three books. And the other two books could be looked at as an AU (I recall Perry saying they were an AU and Shirley suggesting they weren't in the same universe).

Predator culture's been explored enough.. Leave it alone.

Corporal Hicks

It was basically Forever Midnight that did all that. The Flesh and Blood interpretation was more in line with my view of the Predators in that it was all about the hunt and the thrill of the hunt - none of all that honor angle that I dislike so much in the Yautja. It had none of - that I can remember - those ridiculous ideas from Forever Midnight other than they were still called Hish.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 05, 2015, 09:31:33 AM
It was basically Forever Midnight that did all that. The Flesh and Blood interpretation was more in line with my view of the Predators in that it was all about the hunt and the thrill of the hunt - none of all that honor angle that I dislike so much in the Yautja. It had none of - that I can remember - those ridiculous ideas from Forever Midnight other than they were still called Hish.

I liked the Yautja concept because of the whole honor angle and I like the idea of heroic monsters. Go ahead, point and laugh at me but I grew up with a lot of anti-heroes and I think what started it was Terminator 2: Judgement Day where the Terminator was turned into a good guy. With the case of the Yautja, they were still presented as amoral Hunters who only hunted to prove themselves but they were presented as more than just blood thirsty monsters (which a lot gore hounds here seem to like) but they also had a spiritual culture and varying view points. They had a martial way of life but a code of ethics which most abided by, some abiding more tightly than others.

Now a book I have been meaning to read is of course South China Sea. I've heard a lot of good things about that book which found middle ground which Predator and Yautja fans alike seemed to really enjoy. It downplays the honor concept but it doesn't make the Predator just another Jason Voorhees archetype monster antagonist either.

Corporal Hicks

Where as I dislike the honorable Yautja as it served to humanize them and make them more relate-able to readers as they did indeed serve as anti-heroes. It doesn't sit well with me. There is nothing honorable about the way they are portrayed in the films - cloaking so the prey can't see you, using advanced long range weaponry, the ability to see in multiple spectrums, etc.  Removing their honor doesn't make them Jason Vorhees because they never had honor in the first place and people still love Predator.

South China Sea made them badass hunters again. It was about the challenge. I don't remember there being anything in there about honor. But I digress and don't intend to turn this into a Yautja argument.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed