Alien Anthology - Is It Worth It?

Started by WheresMahGum, Dec 10, 2010, 06:34:48 PM

Author
Alien Anthology - Is It Worth It? (Read 14,586 times)

MrLee

MrLee

^ I dont think the Predator blu-ray looks Waxy though, a few of the people that dislike the Predator Blu-ray use this as an argument. It just looks sharper to me, doesnt look like wax.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: MrLee on Dec 26, 2010, 01:05:45 PM
Personally i found it very disappointing, "Aliens" doesn't look anywhere near as good as i was expecting it too the way James Cameron said he had personally remastered it. Compare it to the Predator Blu-Ray, which is razor sharp and clean looking, im very disappointed that "Aliens" is still real grainy.

JC intentionally shot Aliens like that. The same as Terminator. That was his style at the time. Aliens will always be grainy.

it's like the Blu Ray of Speilberg's War of the Worlds. grainiest blu ray ever, but only because speilberg filmed it grainy on purpose.

Corporal Hicks

And it is still a lot cleaner than the previous releases and there's plenty of detail in it.

MrLee

MrLee

If the grain is intentional i dont mind then, i just thought it ended up grainy because it was a dark film, which is why i thought it was a poor job if Cameron hadnt removed the grain. But if it was supposed to be there i dont mind.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: MrLee on Dec 27, 2010, 11:44:51 PMIt just looks sharper to me, doesnt look like wax.
I'm not sure how removing grain makes something sharper.  Smoother maybe, but whatever.

QuoteI dont think the Predator blu-ray looks Waxy though, a few of the people that dislike the Predator Blu-ray use this as an argument.
It's not as though they are just making it up though.  It's great for people who like the way it looks now, but there's no denying that Fox smudged the hell out of (chunks of) the film.

MrLee

MrLee

i can see your point, but its a tough call.

On one hand we have very nice sharp Jungle scenes, and the film fitting perfectly into the HD format. But we also have the loss of finer texture detail that you pointed out.

I dunno. But spotless skin aside. I think the overall quality of image, sound, and extras make the latest Predator Blu-ray pretty cool.

I DO understand your point though.

MrLee

MrLee

Perhaps they could have done a Planet Terror styled release.

Where they let you select to have a version without the grain removed, or a version with grain removed.

(both respective versions, of course, remastered to fit 1080)

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: MrLee on Dec 28, 2010, 01:00:48 PM

And I, yours.   I agree that the later sections of the film look largely improved over the example posted.  The further into the film you go, the less 'removal smoothing' is apparent.  (With a few exceptions)

If it was closer in quality and consistency to the Aliens remastering, I would be a lot happier.   

I daresay though, if the first Blu release of Predator had not been so balls-to-the-wall noisy, people might have been less quick to embrace a troubled re-release.  Maybe.  :)

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Dec 28, 2010, 01:15:53 PM
Quote from: MrLee on Dec 28, 2010, 01:00:48 PM

And I, yours.   I agree that the later sections of the film look largely improved over the example posted.  The further into the film you go, the less 'removal smoothing' is apparent.  (With a few exceptions)

If it was closer in quality and consistency to the Aliens remastering, I would be a lot happier.   

I daresay though, if the first Blu release of Predator had not been so balls-to-the-wall noisy, people might have been less quick to embrace a troubled re-release.  Maybe.  :)

i didnt get the first blu-ray release cause i heard it was a cheap upscaled port...i cant stand those cheap jobs.

They did that to the Escape From New York Blu-ray :(((((((, which i unfortunately bought not knowing it hadnt had the same treatment "The Fog" and "The Thing" had had.

Im sorry Kurt Russell, im so sorry!

Purebreedalien

QuoteAlien Anthology - Is It Worth It?

The Alien Anthology is certainly worth it, if you get enough cash be sure to pick it up. :)

Vulhala

Vulhala

It's only £30. Bargain.

Shadow

Shadow

just bought my set, got the facehugger-box version. havn't watched them yet but i'm soon to have a marathon with all the films :). but considering all the content, four films (my fave films aswell) and loads of extras on blu-ray, it's not a high price.

Xeno Killer 2179

Yes, completely worth it.

I had all 4 movies on vhs, and I didn't see much of a difference on dvd. Blu ray was by far the biggest improvement. The color, especially in aliens is so much better.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Is the Anthology worth it?
Certainly, definitely, immensely.
The definitive Alien saga set.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed