What are you listening to right now?

Started by Harry72, Dec 13, 2006, 10:32:39 AM

Author
What are you listening to right now? (Read 1,637,207 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The first studio album released by Genesis in 5 years after Invisible Touch in 1987 and the tour that followed. The band decided to take a break after the tour to focus on solo projects and Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford didn't expect Phil Collins to come back as his solo career was such a success. So it came as a surprise when he did and this is the epic album we got in return. Its a CD that features a mix of all the styles that they had brought to bare since Duke in 1980. A great mix of Prog and Pop and as always since the early 80's the band wrote all the songs together. So Like I've said before you cant blame Phil for all the Lyrics and poppiness. A lot of that was actually Mike lol

Starting off with the instant classic that is No Son of Mine is perfect. Its Mama vibe in its slow build works on so many levels. Jesus He Knows Me is just brilliant and the video just works. The first true epic of the album Driving the Last Spike, just ebbs and flows as it should and shows the skills of Banks on keyboards. I Can't Dance originally started off as a more bluesy number from Mike, but with the added keyboard effects, it just takes it up a notch, and everyone does the walk when they hear it. Dreaming While You Sleep is one of the most underrated tracks of the Collins fronted years, telling the tale of a Hit and Run from the drivers perspective. Its just pure mood and then lets rip near the end. Shame that the Wilson fronted version didnt do it live. It needs to be done by Genesis covers bands. Tell Me Why is a staple from around these years about whole world problems. Its a great song, but becomes mid because of the songs around it. Way of the World is the other underrated track from the album and my second favourite after Dreaming While You Sleep. Since I Lost You isnt about a broken relationship like most people think, its actually a song about Eric Clapton's son Connor, who tragically fell to his death from a New York apartment in 1991. Collins played it to Clapton and it went onto the album with his blessing. The final track is the sublime and serene Fading Lights, its the longest track on the album and considering this turned out to be Collins last studio album with the band is very prophetic.

I know some people think this album is quite lacklustre, but i think its perfect Genesis. And its perfect growth after the 80's. They couldnt do Invisible Touch 2 really. Enjoy this album if you get the chance

Russ

Russ

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Nov 02, 2016, 02:29:11 AM
Quote from: Russ on Oct 31, 2016, 11:26:18 AM
I recently stumbled up on "Atrium Carceri" - which I've learned is called Dark Ambient Music. It may as well have been written for the Alienverse...
Ahhh, the realm of Dark Ambient. Seems like you have a decent starting point, I am here should you have any questions. I HIGHLY suggest raison d'ĂȘtre above and before all others. Easily the most trance inducing, sub conscious opening music ever to have been introduced to my conscious being. Absolutely brilliant, flawless, meticulously merciless work by the legendary Peter Andersson of Sweden. He has plenty of other projects as well, all vastly different but all grand as well.

If you would like a frightening Alien themed album, check out Nostromo by Sleep Research Facility...

Thanks so much FF - I really did just stumble upon it... its great stuff.

I'll be checking out those you suggested... right now! Brilliant stuff!

HuDaFuK

The Eternal Idol by Black Sabbath

There must be something wrong with me, because my two favourite Sabbath albums feature neither Ozzy nor Dio on vocals :laugh:

While I rate their subsequent album Headless Cross higher than Tony Martin's debut with the band, this is still a great collection of rock songs. Opener "The Shining" is up there with the greatest songs Sabbath have ever done.

KiramidHead

I'm beginning to appreciate this even more than Take on Me.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 02, 2016, 11:43:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TfV92vVINY

I'm beginning to appreciate this even more than Take on Me.
I have the Hunting High and Low special 2CD edition (has Take On Me and TSASOT, amidst other great tracks) and it is really worth getting. Has all the demos and alternate takes on CD2, really cool to see how all the songs became what they did.

Quote from: Russ on Nov 02, 2016, 06:01:52 PM
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Nov 02, 2016, 02:29:11 AM
Quote from: Russ on Oct 31, 2016, 11:26:18 AM
I recently stumbled up on "Atrium Carceri" - which I've learned is called Dark Ambient Music. It may as well have been written for the Alienverse...
Ahhh, the realm of Dark Ambient. Seems like you have a decent starting point, I am here should you have any questions. I HIGHLY suggest raison d'ĂȘtre above and before all others. Easily the most trance inducing, sub conscious opening music ever to have been introduced to my conscious being. Absolutely brilliant, flawless, meticulously merciless work by the legendary Peter Andersson of Sweden. He has plenty of other projects as well, all vastly different but all grand as well.

If you would like a frightening Alien themed album, check out Nostromo by Sleep Research Facility...

Thanks so much FF - I really did just stumble upon it... its great stuff.

I'll be checking out those you suggested... right now! Brilliant stuff!
You're welcome! I have plenty of other suggestions, but you can jump around and find great groups/albums out there. Oh, before I forget:

https://raison-detre.info

There are free, yes FREE listenings to almost all of his music here. Of course, you really should just buy the music and support him, as he does everything on his web shop by himself and creates the audio genius you experience. ;) I have all the original Cold Meat Industry CD releases, I remember getting them on Halloween in 2005, talk about great music to get on Halloween :laugh: I know some of them are worth a lot of money, but they are obviously not leaving my collection.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 02, 2016, 07:01:18 PM
The Eternal Idol by Black Sabbath

http://en.metalship.org/archives/albums/album548.jpg

There must be something wrong with me, because my two favourite Sabbath albums feature neither Ozzy nor Dio on vocals :laugh:

While I rate their subsequent album Headless Cross higher than Tony Martin's debut with the band, this is still a great collection of rock songs. Opener "The Shining" is up there with the greatest songs Sabbath have ever done.

Also for me i actually prefer the Ray Gillan vocals of some of these songs. Its a shame the Martin era doesnt get more respect from Sabbath fans

The Seventh solo album by Sting and its his most experimental, using elements of R&B (rhyme and beats in this case) and some diverse guests (although that aspect does carry over from 1999's Brand New Day). Its also the last studio album to feature the work of Producer/Musician Kipper. While i enjoyed his work, i felt that the drum programming aspect removed something from the music as some of the best moments on this album feature real drums as played by Manu Katche and Vinnie Coliauta. The featured/backing vocals of Joy Rose are something to behold, especially on the later tour where she took all the duet vocals. Its very surprising that we havent heard much from her since.

Album opener Inside is an emotional tour de force, that builds until its final coda as Sting almost starts rapping the final phrases. Second track and first single Send Your Love features an adaption of the opening quatrain of William Blake's Auguries of Innocence poem, but to me its also filler on the album. Its a good song, but to me it doesnt quite gel with the rest of the album. Whenever I Say Your Name follows next and its a beautiful duet with Mary J. Blige, i was very surprised how well their voices harmonise and flow through each other, it should have been a much bigger hit. Surprised it hasnt been covered by some pop act. Dead Man's Rope is next and is more acoustic based, its very serene and fits well following the previous duet, also has a nice reference to Walking In Your Footsteps. Never Coming Home is probably the biggest experiment on the album and actually the only one where the drum programming works. Its the perfect tale of a woman leaving her man in a heartbreaking move for emotional freedom. Its told from three points of view, which Sting takes by himself. I would love to hear this done with three vocalists, but atm i will take this brilliant version. Stolen Car (Take Me Dancing) is next and is the only one really that has had multiple proper versions, (The album version, The single version and the duet version with Mylene Farmer from 2015(I'm not counting all the various remixes here)). It was also the third and final single from the album. Forget about the Future is actually quite a funny take on realtionships and the little battles in between. This War is the most Rock song on the album (and something he wouldnt return to till this years 57th and 9th). Railing against stupid politicians and warmongers and money men. The Book of My Life features the sitar of Anouska Shankar, and you could picture it being performed around a fire as the narrator looks back on his life, its a perfectly written tale. The Final official track is the title track Sacred Love is a song about when Sex and Love are combined to a perfect relationship, where both arent mutually exclusive or the way to get one or the other, both combined keepin a relationship alive.

Now when this album was released, in each territory, there were a variety of bonus tracks and because of that, for this little review, I've decided to leave them be. This would be Sting's last album of original material for nearly a decade but least we had this album to tide us over till then

Ingwar

Ingwar

Waiting for new Metallica album and listening to Atlas, Rise! Its sounds like a tribute to Iron Maiden 8)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 03, 2016, 11:39:11 AMAlso for me i actually prefer the Ray Gillan vocals of some of these songs.

The deluxe edition is on my wishlist :)

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 03, 2016, 02:47:28 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 03, 2016, 11:39:11 AMAlso for me i actually prefer the Ray Gillan vocals of some of these songs.

The deluxe edition is on my wishlist :)

You'll like it i think :)

KiramidHead

I'm listening to songs specified in scripts now. :laugh:

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Debut album by the American Pop/Folk/Rock group, released in 1993. So diverse, but the band mixes everything so well, it created a winning formula. The album is mostly written by lead singer Adam Duritz, with co-writes here and there from other members of the band and people outside.

It takes a lot of balls to open and album with Ten seconds of silence before the Guitar refrain of Round Here starts. This continues throughout the whole song but is either overlapped by or lifted up by the band as the song goes on. Omaha is so folky, with its use of Accordion, Hammond Organ and Mandolin. Its interesting that the album is fronted by these two tracks, its shows the band is sure of their abilities. Next up is first single and the fantastic pop rock of Mr Jones, its the song that just grabbed everyone and pulled them into the bands orbit. Anna Begins is just a serene song and shows of Duritz's storytelling skills to a tee. Rain King surprises me everytime, its just a great song and its always as if I'm hearing it for the first time. Ghost Train just seems to be a howl from Duritz, with the band holding him up it seems. Raining in Balitmore is the perfect piano ballad and like Anna Begins is perfect storytelling. Final track Murder of One is the best way to end the album, its full of ebuillent joy after the up and down rollercoater of the album before. It just leaves you with hope

This album and Hard Candy are the two albums by the band i would recommend

KiramidHead

Damn, I actually kind of love both scores.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Eleventh studio album by the Prog Giants and actually the most commercial and pop orientated at that point in their career. That's mainly because, this project was originally started under the Cinema moniker as YES had disbanded after the 1981 tour for Drama. So at this point YES didnt actually exist as far as insiders knew. By the end of the recording and mixing four members of various line-ups of YES were in the band, so after twisting the arm of Trevor Rabin (who's project it originally was), it became the latest YES album. Featuring Chris Squire (RIP) on Bass, Original Keyboardist Tony Kaye, Trevor Rabin on Guitar, Alan White on Drums and Jon Anderson (who was brought in during the mixing stages, to redo Rabin's vocals) On Vocals.

Owner of a Lonely Heart opens the album, is a stone cold classic straight off the bat. Its also the way to open an album with the first single as it brings people in. Its a beautiful song, with a darker than expected video. Hold On and It Can Happen follow next and are both good songs, but for parts they are a bit samey and very much early 80's, so they dont quite stand the test of time for me, but also its a case of some bands worst songs are better than some's best, which is the case here. Although It Can Happen, does have a great Acappela opening. The two minute Instrumental Cinema (named so that there was a link to the original project), is actually the opening of a 20 minute track called Time, which as far as I'm aware hasnt appeared anywhere else, although i could be wrong there. City of Love is the darkest track on the album and actually really saves the second half of the album for me, based around Rabin's trip to New York a couple of years earlier, where a Taxi driver, took him to the wrong part of the City as the thugs and such were coming out. The album ends with the 7 and a half minute Hearts the only track that all five members are credited with writing. ts a good way to end the album for me. Not a classic, but its good.

Now this isnt the best YES album out there but, if you need something to dip your toes into the bands history, this is as good a place to start as any :)

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

^ Ironically, this was the starting album of Yes for me LOL . I immediately got Fragile and Close To The Edge next, need less to say it was night and day different sounding albums. I actually really like this one, despite the lack of Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman. Indeed it is 110% 80s sounding all the way thru, and it does have a good varying sound. I have not heard anything about the (full) track of Time as well, imagine that it will see the light all in time :P I have the extended edition on CD, it has Leave It "A Capella" version (which is amaze btw) and a previously unreleased track It's Over to name a few. Also, I am surprised you didn't mention Changes, def. a little repetitive chord wise, but a good song anyways.

Currently listening to the ET soundtrack (as I watch the movie for the zillionth time, a film I will NEVER tire of).

KiramidHead

One of the best MCU scores, up there with Cap 1's.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed