There are lotta posts of female predator concepts on social media!

Started by frasermaxx, Aug 23, 2016, 09:59:02 PM

Author
There are lotta posts of female predator concepts on social media! (Read 21,791 times)

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

You raise some interesting points Scorpio.

I mean, they are already ridiculously humanoid for an alien species. Look at their pectorals, their six (sometimes eight) packs, their biceps, their five fingered hands etc and their incredibly anatomically modern human shape, even Neanderthals had more differences compared to us when it come to body shape (not counting the heads and feet for obvious reasons.) Plus Predators have a chin, humans are the only hominid, the only primate to have a chin! Again, Neanderthals lacked one, Erectus lacked one, Heidelbergensis lacked one, Floresiensis lacked one etc but this totally ALIEN creature has a chin whereas some of our closest extinct relatives lacked one and were more ape like.

I wouldn't be surprised if Predators have a similar skeletal structure to us.

So, good point on the breasts actually being more for sexual selection than actually mammalian traits. I never considered the Peacock feathers analogy. And true, human breasts do seem as if they are sexually selected.

I am not against female Predators having breasts (I liked Steve Perry's take on them, larger, stronger and more aggressive  females with breasts), I don't want them there for the sake of making them "sexy", but for the sake of going "look, a female!" If their males are ludicrously similar to us in so many ways, might as well make the females identifiable as such.

I never understood the "it makes them too human" argument, because they're already a very human-like species. The only differences are the blood, the insides (multiple hearts according to the new books), their longevity, the vision (even their eyes look similar to ours whereas if you look at a goat or a cat's eye, they're quite different.), five fingered hands, walk on their heels rather than digitigrade etc. Even their dreads are positioned in ways similar to human hair, plus they have "facial dreads" almost like growing facial hair. They have very expressive faces just like we do, they're social like we are, they hunt for sport like we do and collect trophies like us... they build cities and pyramids like us... they live in tribes and have various different cultures like we... I could go on forever.

The only things I can see as being truly alien about them are their languages due to the shape of their mouths, they'd have incomprehensible and inimitable languages. And their culture overall could be very alien, plus they have huge brains in their heads (and their heads are big, so a big brain to body ratio) means they'd have more complex brains leading to a more intelligent race than us who would also think very differently as a whole. Trying to cognitively anthropomorphize them by assuming "they share our morals" would be a mistake. But physically? Man, you don't get more anthropomorphic than that, guys!

It'd make for interesting discussions about convergent evolution. It's happened here on Earth (even though everything here's related), so evolutionary pressures and similar paths could've pushed the Predator species towards looking very much like us.

Kaltes

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 15, 2016, 02:53:14 AM
I like Michael Broom's design for Predators (missed opportunity there).  Looks sleek, feminine form, breasts but no nipples (indicating non-mammalian).  Human female breasts actually have nothing to do with babies suckling, anyway, they are a purely sexual characteristic (like a peacock's feathers).

It would be a different kind of evolution.

That's actually a pretty good concept design, I think.

Russ

@the Alien Predator

Basically what you said. I think boobs because its a (obviously) the easiest visual clue and would get around a clunky dialogue scene where the scientist woman says "All the other ones had different markings - this one is smaller. Could be a female?"

Master

Why smaller? Make it bigger, stronger, mean bitch. That would partially explain why Preds try so hard (to impress the lady  :P ).

SiL

The only thing AvP: Deadliest of the Species got right was using what was written in the bible authors were given at Dark Horse at the time: male and female Predators are indistinguishable unless you get real close, at which point you're probably dead.

Russ

Quote from: SiL on Sep 15, 2016, 09:18:21 AM
The only thing AvP: Deadliest of the Species got right was using what was written in the bible authors were given at Dark Horse at the time: male and female Predators are indistinguishable unless you get real close, at which point you're probably dead.

I suppose its kind of moot - What would be the point in having a female predator in a movie that you couldn't tell was female? I mean, the characters could see it was female, the viewers (having seen predator movies would be "oh wow, a lady predator. cool" (or not). But if if they're indistinguishable - then ... why bother I guess?

Quote from: Master on Sep 15, 2016, 08:39:51 AM
Why smaller? Make it bigger, stronger, mean bitch. That would partially explain why Preds try so hard (to impress the lady  :P ).

OK, BIGGER with different markings *lol*.

Master

No dude, I mean really bigger

Cut out boobs, leave femine shapes and were on.

The Alien Predator

Here is a drawing that I like of a female Predator, she lacks boobs but you can see feminine hints here and there. I suppose if they went for an indistinguishable female, then it could serve as a plot twist for scientists to analyse the blood (or even have her captured, remove her clothing and after a "close examination" they realize it's a female  :laugh:)

Xenomania

Quote from: Master on Sep 15, 2016, 08:39:51 AM
Indeed, that's what I suggested earlier too. Hell, maybe the whole Predator society is matriarchal. ;D

Predator_Spirit

:D It's not gonna happen.

Shinawi

In the novels, a female predator is larger and stronger than the male ones.

Kaltes

Quote from: Shinawi on Jan 02, 2017, 07:19:21 PM

In Steve Perry's at least. Jeff VanderMeer's Predators have no sexual dimorphism, Hish-qu-Ten the differences in gender are only seriously noticeable to each other.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Kaltes on Jan 02, 2017, 07:35:56 PM
Quote from: Shinawi on Jan 02, 2017, 07:19:21 PM

In Steve Perry's at least. Jeff VanderMeer's Predators have no sexual dimorphism, Hish-qu-Ten the differences in gender are only seriously noticeable to each other.

Tim Lebbon's Yautja have no sexual dimorphism either. Liliya isn't even sure if Hashori is a female but thinks so anyway as she is "Hashori of the Widow Clan."

Then there's Yaquita, who the characters just 'assume' is a female and still question that themselves.

SiL

AvP: Deadliest of the Species was about the only comic to use Dark Horse's outline that male and female Predators are indistinguishable without gettin' real close.

Scorpio

Quote from: SiL on Jan 02, 2017, 10:34:48 PM
AvP: Deadliest of the Species was about the only comic to use Dark Horse's outline that male and female Predators are indistinguishable without gettin' real close.

That would be boring to make them indistinguishable.  Why even bother.  Just give them boobs, I don't know why so many people here have problems with boobs.  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed