Why Noomi Rapace was cast as the lead in Prometheus?

Started by PierreVW, Jul 29, 2017, 12:37:11 AM

Author
Why Noomi Rapace was cast as the lead in Prometheus? (Read 8,035 times)

SM

Precisement.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 08, 2017, 02:50:00 AM
Next, question, what should Shaw have sounded like? I thought she was... you know what, I don't have the foggiest clue what she is supposed to be in the movie.

Her character was written as English, but she could've been anything.  It just would've been better if it was a consistent anything.

whiterabbit

That sounds oddly American, no wonder I didn't notice it. :P

P-Rock

I didn't like Noomi much as the main character. 'I choose to believe bla bla'. I was glad David killed her in Covenant. Also, why not have a male lead again the next movie, eh Ridley?

Paranoid Android

That's a silly line of dialogue, but it's not really something you can blame Noomi Rapace on. She didn't write the script.

P-Rock

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 27, 2017, 10:02:16 AM
That's a silly line of dialogue, but it's not really something you can blame Noomi Rapace on. She didn't write the script.

I know, but I didn't like her character anyway. So her not being in Covenant is a good thing for me.

426Buddy

I like noomi but i didnt like shaw as a character. Still i wish The Crossing was apart of the film.

Scorpio

I like her, as she is a very optimistic character which makes her death all the more sad.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 27, 2017, 10:02:16 AM

This is true, she was given some pretty rum dialogue but at the same time I thought some of her delivery was pretty cringey.

'I choose to believe' was a good example but for me the worst was the 'I cant create' bit. It just makes me shudder every time I watch it.

I thought Noomi was most effective in the latter stages of the film. All of her lines regarding saving earth etc, particularly to Janek, are delivered really well.

Scorpio

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Sep 14, 2017, 09:04:48 AM

This is true, she was given some pretty rum dialogue but at the same time I thought some of her delivery was pretty cringey.

'I choose to believe' was a good example but for me the worst was the 'I cant create' bit. It just makes me shudder every time I watch it.

English is not her native language, dude.  You can have actors that can deliver lines, but can't act for sh*t.  Noomi is brilliant in the surgery scene, not many actresses of her generation could have pulled that off.

SM

What does her native language have to do with anything?

Scorpio

On her ability to deliver lines in english.

SM

How is that an excuse?  If she couldn't act in English she shouldn't have been cast.

Scorpio

It's not an excuse, it's a reality.  Like how a midget actor can not play someone who is 7 feet tall.

Language has many nuances that only a native speaker can properly master.  Doesn't mean that she can't do english roles, though. 

It's just that she won't be terribly convincing delivering dialogue, if she's playing an english woman, yet her native language is not english.

But that point did not bother me, however pointing that out is a flaw is not the fault of the actress.

Jonesy1974

I'm not convinced its down to her native language though. I thought she was very wooden in the more emotional scenes, which gave me the impression she isn't a particularly strong actress.

I've seen her in other films and felt the same way but admittedly they were also English speaking roles.

But if it was down to bad casting then ultimately its a flaw in the film for me personally because her performance bothers me.

Scorpio

Watch The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the Swedish version).  She's amazing in that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed