Biohazard(Resident Evil)game series

Started by Dark Blade Hunter, Apr 16, 2013, 02:11:21 PM

Author
Biohazard(Resident Evil)game series (Read 64,351 times)

PredBabe

Silent Hill (1999) was inspired by RE (1996) so I guess we've come full circle.

SiL

SiL

And then the neomorphs looked like generic Silent Hill monsters and now we're in ouroboros territoriy.

PredBabe

Kimarhi

Change of subject but I actually ended up liking Ethan pretty well by the end of this game.

He had a flat arc, but he always stayed true to himself and his values.  He's like the Goku of Resident Evil. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2021, 01:25:38 AM
And then the neomorphs looked like generic Silent Hill monsters and now we're in ouroboros territoriy.

https://youtu.be/ri7mXgNB5ME
16:15 to 20:15

Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 18, 2021, 07:56:54 AM

I once remember someone compared the Neomorph to a Silent Hill monster as if meant to be disparaging, but viewing this it's interesting in that both Alien (Director Ridley Scott specifically) and Ito Masahiro pull from Francis Bacon for their sexually infused nightmare imagery, and ended up each with pointed headed phallic primary antagonists.

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/2015/02/ridley-inspired-by-francis-bacon.html?m=1
http://houseofalexander.wiki/fear-for-the-flesh
That combination of sex and death.

That's what you have when you strip away the elegance and biomechanics of H.R Giger's contribution I think.

Quote from: PredBabe on Jun 08, 2021, 01:16:24 AM
Silent Hill (1999) was inspired by RE (1996) so I guess we've come full circle.

Undeniably but more so created to be a competitor to, redoing the entire plot of Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3's goes beyond being inspired by, if you ask me.

SiL

SiL

Giger's original chestburster design was directly inspired (if not ripped off, let's be honest) from Three Studies. But the neomorph has little in the way of Bacon left in it.

This all feels super off topic though, let's be honest.

BlueMarsalis79

I hear you on that first part but-

I can't agree to disagree more about that last half of your statement honestly, it's as much Francis Bacon as any Silent Hill monster from 2 or 3, only this time the ethos' applied to the titular Alien itself instead.

I am good with franchises being inspired by similar sources and ending up with comparable results, but I do prefer when it's a merging of their own facets with that of whatever's being that particular inspiration, to get back on topic in that way I think Village follows the original Silent Hill plot overly closely but does not do much to subvert or make it their own thing- in my eyes anyway.

Mother Miranda's design's eerily close to that of the original Silent Hill's final boss, whilst her role's very much like Dahlia Gillespie, the actual villain of the story. I see that all over Village.

In fact:
Spoiler
The only reason you have to make all the characters idiots especially Chris "Ethan. No." Redfield's not to give up "the twist" and ultimately to make Ethan Winters journey even closer to that of Harry Mason, it's bizarre, I don't have anything against it but it does leave me asking why though.
[close]

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2021, 10:46:12 AM
This all feels super off topic though, let's be honest.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Three of the four paragraphs I wrote pertain to Village. ???

Also this-

-felt REALLY out of place in it imo.

Everything else felt in some way reasonably connected 
Spoiler
to the Cadou but Heisenbergs abilities.
[close]

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 08, 2021, 03:18:08 AM
Change of subject but I actually ended up liking Ethan pretty well by the end of this game, he had a flat arc, but he always stayed true to himself and his values.  He's like the Goku of Resident Evil.

Spoiler
So trash- I couldn't wait for him to inevitably die, oh how he irritated me so, I felt like I would have enjoyed it a lot more had he had any personality.

"Wha tha helluh!" E.W in memoriam.
[close]

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/resident-evil-village-ethan-winters-worst-hero

This gave me a good laugh.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Too each their own. 

To go after Ethan because his character is naive to the plot is kind of silly when just about ALL the characters have been written like they've never seen a horror movie before.  That's just part of being a character in a horror game.

Also he didn't reattach his fingers because they were swallowed by a Lycan. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

But he's done it before and, his voice acting's also, just awful.

To quote the article:

He sucks all of the tension out of Resident Evil Village like a moldy sponge.

Kimarhi

If a person playing RE village was expecting horror game after EVERY encounter with an enemy ends up with items to craft more ammo or money to buy ammo then I don't know what to tell them.  It is clearly meant to be an action game. 

BlueMarsalis79

I don't think it's particularly good at either.

Apart from that notorious P.T. inspired section.

You know the one.

PredBabe

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 08, 2021, 11:09:04 AM

I am good with franchises being inspired by similar sources and ending up with comparable results, but I do prefer when it's a merging of their own facets with that of whatever's being that particular inspiration, to get back on topic in that way I think Village follows the original Silent Hill plot overly closely but does not do much to subvert or make it their own thing- in my eyes anyway.

As long as you realize this is all subjective.

The plot of SH never really occurred to me while playing through Village, but I see where you're drawing the comparisons. I just think CAPCOM did a good job of making it their own and making this game feel like an RE game.

Heisenberg's abilities felt off for me as well. Kinda like Wesker's Neo abilities. I really loved the look and personality of Heisenberg but I think he was miss-used in this game.

But I also really liked Ethan this time around. It was a vast improvement from RE7 and I thought his voice actor delivered emotions just fine. My thoughts of Mia still haven't changed though, can't stand her. Ethan was too good for her and their chemistry just seems off because of it.

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 08, 2021, 02:48:12 PM
I don't think it's particularly good at either.

Apart from that notorious P.T. inspired section.

You know the one.

If you're going to take random articles/reviews into consideration, then you should consider the high ratings it holds. Enough people seem to like it for what it is.

BlueMarsalis79

We can agree on Heisenberg being misused then. 

As for the player character I think this marks one of the times I might prefer complete silence, when you take a mostly quiet one and suddenly give them much more of a voice in the sequel(s) you hope to get Isaac Clarke, Ethan Winters not so much honestly.

As for the article I said it gave me a good laugh, it's not a breakdown of the entirety of the experience, just a criticism of the protagonist.

https://youtu.be/ed0klLmbiIg

This offers a completely opposite perspective from someone I like, I just can't bring myself to agree with them though, mostly I just think it's overrated because of the franchise and a massive fall in quality from the prior entry.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed