Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 284,144 times)

SiL

SiL

Saying "Don't waste your money on an idea you don't think you'll like" is hardly condescending.

ArcticHuntress

I'll give these new comics a try when they come out. Can always stop reading if it all turns sour.

SM

SM

Quote from: CainsSon on Oct 24, 2013, 08:06:08 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 22, 2013, 09:48:32 PM
QuoteThis is awful news. This, you realize, means we will have some sort of ancient civilization of man as visited by Engineers and Predators at once crap. I am very apprehensive.

So don't buy them then.

But if I don't buy them, and come on here VOICING MY OPINION and ideas on a communal fan forum, you might have one less person posting on here, and then however would you maintain your rarely insightful but always transparent, predictable condescending persona? What would happen then? Will I get blocked? Will you just respond with some other condescending brow beating? I can't wait to eat crow. - Edge of my seat!

This is an Alien Vrs Predator forum - maybe try and take yourself just a PINCH less seriously. Also instead of knocking everything everyone else say, try contributing / sharing some exciting ideas yourself. 

PRJ_since1990

Anyways, back on topic...

A long time ago, I remember watching a fan-made short film, all CGI and looked similar to that old Transformers show Beast Wars. The premise was an explanation to the conflict between the different creatures. In a nut shell, Predators were battling Engineers on a full-out war. The Engineers, in turn, created the Aliens (Xenos) as a means to defeat the Predators. As it turned out, according to one fan's perspective, the Engineers were all but wiped out (coinciding with Aliens: Earth War story arc) and the Xeno infestation became a wide-spread problem. The Predators respected the Alien species as a worthy prey, gathering specimens when able and using them for hunts (like the AvP movie/graphic novels).

This was well before the BSP's were a thing, as well as Prometheus. I still think it's a cool prospect.

TorsoInvader

I am going to be very weary of these reboots. :-\

We know what happened the last time they tried to reboot the comic series.Kinda sorta Hicks,Newt , random android Ripley and another planet with a jockey ship that is clearly LV426.

Plus trying to retcon  poopmetheus into it is not going to end well.

Rambo

Rambo

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Oct 26, 2013, 01:11:44 AM

A long time ago, I remember watching a fan-made short film, all CGI and looked similar to that old Transformers show Beast Wars. The premise was an explanation to the conflict between the different creatures. In a nut shell, Predators were battling Engineers on a full-out war. The Engineers, in turn, created the Aliens (Xenos) as a means to defeat the Predators. As it turned out, according to one fan's perspective, the Engineers were all but wiped out (coinciding with Aliens: Earth War story arc) and the Xeno infestation became a wide-spread problem. The Predators respected the Alien species as a worthy prey, gathering specimens when able and using them for hunts (like the AvP movie/graphic novels).

This was well before the BSP's were a thing, as well as Prometheus. I still think it's a cool prospect.

Do you have a link for that? Sounds like a crazy concept, but I do like and respect the attempts to tie it all together.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: SSj_Rambo on Oct 26, 2013, 08:54:45 PM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Oct 26, 2013, 01:11:44 AM

Do you have a link for that? Sounds like a crazy concept, but I do like and respect the attempts to tie it all together.
I just tried a quick search on Youtube, but the video may have been removed and won't show up in search parameters. I will dig deeper later because I hope to find it...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: PanCoreUnit on Oct 26, 2013, 03:48:49 PM
Plus trying to retcon  poopmetheus into it is not going to end well.

What was wrong with Prometheus?

Conversely, you could ask me the same about PREDATORS. Ha ha ha ha!  :laugh:

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

There's nothing to suggest it's going to end badly.  It might, might not.

And Ripley was a never a robot in the comics.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 29, 2013, 01:31:12 AM
And Ripley was a never a robot in the comics.

Are you referring to the originals or the re-writes? Because I thought she was turned into a synthetic in the re-writes.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Only the novelisation.  The comic rewrite never addresses Ripley's continued existance after Alien3.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 29, 2013, 01:38:11 AM
Only the novelisation.  The comic rewrite never addresses Ripley's continued existance after Alien3.

Okay, I don't have the comic re-writes... I have the original comics which were to follow up with Aliens. Was Ripley changed to a different character altogether or simply you know.. erased off panel and everything had to be redrawn or.. whatever?

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

No, it's a simple case of 'You aren't supposed to ask that question'.  Unfortunately simply excising the sequence where Ripley goes back to the Derelict and changing most of the names doesn't work.  There's references in dialogue to relationships between the characters that existed in Aliens - but don't now (mind you there's some howlers in the original script too).  Hicks and Newt are still referred to as such on at least one occasion each, and a reference to Wilks ship as Sulaco hasn't been changed.

I can almost picture Mike Richardson burying his face in his hands and saying - 'that'll have to do' and releasing it.

StrangeShape

Im not happy about the idea of there being a reboot because it then "resets" canon in comic books, then again, it was shaky as it was anyway. But Im a huge fan of Book I and II and hate to see it being discarded in, lets call it, "comic book" canon. At the same time Im curious about the new story and happy the series goes back into print

SM

SM

Book 1 and Book 2 can't fit with the film continuity anyway - and they haven't for 17 years.  Doesn't stop them being good comics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed