Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 46,339 times)

Neila

Neila

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 14, 2024, 07:50:42 PMI abhor the entire concept of AvP in any medium besides novels or comics.  Keep your soda away from my wine. >:(

That's absolutely to the point

I can look at AVP 1 but I actually don't count it as part of the canon in any way because it's actually crap.
I see it like a comic and don't give it much meaning.

But the more I think about it today, avp-R was
actually just a cheeky thing...

I was much more bothered by the gamer kids at the time and with AVP2 (the PC game) the forums were full of newbies who had no idea about the franchises and especially saw the Predator like a superhero.
Well, there are those here too from time to time, but they are limited.

PredBabe

PredBabe

I was 13 when I saw AVP in theaters, so I was that targeted age group and did enjoy it despite growing up on all the original Alien/Predator movies before it (I started young and Alien:R was my first Alien/Predator experience in theaters).

Went through a period in my later teens where I would hate on it more for what it did and didn't do. It could have had more focus on horror themes and be more in the same vein as the originals (and The Thing)... Anderson directed Event Horizon before AVP so the potential was there of it being a solid sci-fi/horror flick... Instead, we got a movie with a comic book style that was more of a watered down version to the actual AVP comics it was based on.

I've grown to just enjoy AVP for what it is though and that's partially due to nostalgia and seeing it as a separate entity from the Alien and Predator movies. And, at this point, it's not the worst movie to come out, especially in terms of creature design and story direction. Turns out, things can always get worse.  :laugh:

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: PredBabe on Feb 22, 2024, 12:59:20 PMI was 13 when I saw AVP in theaters, so I was that targeted age group and did enjoy it despite growing up on all the original Alien/Predator movies before it (I started young and Alien:R was my first Alien/Predator experience in theaters).

Went through a period in my later teens where I would hate on it more for what it did and didn't do. It could have had more focus on horror themes and be more in the same vein as the originals (and The Thing)... Anderson directed Event Horizon before AVP so the potential was there of it being a solid sci-fi/horror flick... Instead, we got a movie with a comic book style that was more of a watered down version to the actual AVP comics it was based on.

I've grown to just enjoy AVP for what it is though and that's partially due to nostalgia and seeing it as a separate entity from the Alien and Predator movies. And, at this point, it's not the worst movie to come out, especially in terms of creature design and story direction. Turns out, things can always get worse.  :laugh:

Wait... You saw Resurrection in theaters ? Despite age restriction ? How did you do it ?

In France where I'm from, it was impossible, despite all my childish best efforts  :laugh:   

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 22, 2024, 04:31:04 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Feb 22, 2024, 12:59:20 PMI was 13 when I saw AVP in theaters, so I was that targeted age group and did enjoy it despite growing up on all the original Alien/Predator movies before it (I started young and Alien:R was my first Alien/Predator experience in theaters).

Wait... You saw Resurrection in theaters ? Despite age restriction ? How did you do it ?

In France where I'm from, it was impossible, despite all my childish best efforts  :laugh:   

My mom went with my older brothers and I. :laugh:

I was only 7 so no way I was getting in otherwise.

BigDaddyJohn

Oh ok. Here it's forbidden even with adults.

America, land of the free  ;D

Nightmare Asylum

I was only one year off from being able to get tickets for Predators in 2010 (was 16, and needed to be 17), so my mom came into the theater and took the money from my friends and I, grabbed a few tickets for us, and then just handed them to us so we could go into the theater while she went off to do her own thing. We were not old enough to buy the tickets, but also not young enough to get questioned walking into the theater without a parent, I guess. :laugh:

426Buddy

AR was the first one I got to see in the theater.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

First Alien or Predator movie in theaters for me was AVP. At the time I kinda like it.

SM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 22, 2024, 08:36:08 PMI was only one year off from being able to get tickets for Predators in 2010 (was 16, and needed to be 17), so my mom came into the theater and took the money from my friends and I, grabbed a few tickets for us, and then just handed them to us so we could go into the theater while she went off to do her own thing. We were not old enough to buy the tickets, but also not young enough to get questioned walking into the theater without a parent, I guess. :laugh:

I'm not sure I should've been getting into Aliens in 1986 at the age I was, but having a look at what the rating were back then I think it was more a recommendation than a restriction.

Local Trouble

Me mum took me to see Aliens a month after my eleventh birthday during its opening weekend in San Diego.

Changed me life, it did.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 22, 2024, 09:21:47 PMI'm not sure I should've been getting into Aliens in 1986 at the age I was, but having a look at what the rating were back then I think it was more a recommendation than a restriction.
Anything below MA15+ is a recommendation. Only Resurrection was restricted on release of the original 4, with Alien 3 getting reclassified later

So AvP has the same rating as Alien, Aliens, and Predator, which is a bit weird.

SM

Up till sometime in the early 1980s we had a rating called NRC. Which was a bit odd since I recall there were many films rated 'Not Recommended for Children' which were clearly made for children.

I bought the Aliens soundtrack LP not long after it came out and puzzled over the R rating on the back for a little while before assuming it was for the US.

SiL

I just double checked: R was used in Australia to mean restricted until around the 80s.

From 1970 it was G, NRC, M and R. This became G, PG, M, R18+, then X got added in 80s, then MA15+ in 1993. That explains why Predator 2 was rated R18+ and ALIEN 3 M15+ despite neither of those ratings being appropriate - they were too early for MA, which they both are.

Actually explains a lot of older movies being R18+, AND why every vhs in the early to mid 90s had that ad explaining the rating system on it...

SM

I remember Mad Max was rated R.  When Mad Max 2 ended up on telly most of the violence was cut and there was a bunch of alternate footage used.

There was also of course the very naughty XXX rated movies.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: SM on Feb 22, 2024, 11:52:13 PMWhen Mad Max 2 ended up on telly most of the violence was cut and there was a bunch of alternate footage used.

I own a copy of this version of Mad Max 2 on DVD-R.  Referred to as 'The Lost Version'

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed