Ridley Scott on the Alien connection with Damon lindelof (youtube)

Started by shamash, Apr 18, 2012, 12:07:02 PM

Author
Ridley Scott on the Alien connection with Damon lindelof (youtube) (Read 19,492 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Apr 23, 2012, 04:55:45 AM
Either way, red head or not, Ridley or Cvalda ...
Spoiler
My Body is ready.
Spoiler
So's my wallet.
[close]
[close]

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 23, 2012, 04:57:58 AM
Spoiler
Just for the record, I always thought she was Winona Ryder trolling the boards.
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Bat Chain Puller

Spoiler
[close]

I can't believe I ...
Spoiler
[close]

Cvalda

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Apr 23, 2012, 05:05:16 AM
I can't believe I ...
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Capovin on Apr 23, 2012, 04:28:28 AM
Hmm did I say anywhere it was because of Aliens? No because I don't believe it was. I'm simply stating it's a POSSIBILITY, and there are enough things unexplained to warrant that. The burden of proof is not on me. But your rational of we just "happened" to follow the right path, irks me a little. There's such a massive amount of coincidences to have gotten us to the point we are now. If that doesn't make you scratch your head and ask "why" I don't know what to say. Just luck? It just happens? I'm sorry, not good enough. I guess being inquisitive is just my nature. I know how science hypothesizes our development, you missed the point, why did we "happen" to follow the path, why just us?

Capovin, contingency is an integral feature of Evolution via Natural Selection.  Refer to my previous reply post #111.  There is no goal or ultimate "direction" of Evolution towards developing organisms with greater intelligence, finally resulting in Homo sapiens.  Wind the "tape of Life" back a few million years, and hit "replay", and it is entirely possible (perhaps even probable) that nothing remotely resembling human intelligence and consciousness would have arisen.  The specific contingencies that were required, all along the process, are incalculable.  Although not completely accurate, you could substitute the term "coincidence" for "contingency", here, without seriously affecting the argument.  Alternatively, going back even further, if certain mass extinctions didn't occur, or any number of other contingencies...it is entirely possible that a "human" level of intelligence and consciousness might have arisen millions of years ago, in some other species.

Note that I am speaking exclusively on scientific terms, here.  My personal Catholic beliefs add a much richer and deeper layer of nuance to this picture.  However, religious faith and belief does not have a place in a purely scientific argument.

bioweapon

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 23, 2012, 03:59:20 AM
Quote from: bioweapon on Apr 23, 2012, 01:36:38 AM
so as birds. hell, a dog can do that. that just prove animals have some level of intuition. but eons of animal species appear and vanish without evidence of another species as complex as human.

thereĀ“s no explanation for this yet in this evolution theory.

The bolded statment is a fallacious argument.
The rise of intelligence and consciousness in early homonids does not require any "special" explanation within Evolutionary Theory, versus any other adaptation that conferred a fitnesss/survival advantage for a particular organism, due to changing local conditions.  Human consciousness was not a "goal" of Evolution, and ascribing any special "direction" or outcome for it is ill conceived.

The simple fact is, that increasing intelligence conferred specific, selective advantages in some early primates (who happen to be our direct ancestors), due to the challenges of their particular environment.  Meanwhile, the development of greater intelligence did not confer any special selective advantages for most other primates, due to their unique environments.  Intelligence, as an adaptative solution to the challenge of Natural Selection is no better and no worse than any other adaptation, such as the venom of a pit viper, or the exquisite hydrodynamic shape of a dolphin.

Furthermore, increasing intelligence within our hominid ancestors had to confer a selective advantage, along each and every step of the way.

Interestingly, there is compelling research to suggest convergent (independant) evolution of a degree of cognitive intelligence in completely unrelated species:  Primates (particularly the great apes), Elephants, Cetaceans, Corvids, domestic Dogs, Cephalopods, etc.

The following species have been acknowleged to have passed the MRS (Mirror Response Test), which is a fundamental test for self-awareness / self-recognition, and implies a highly developed degree of cognitive intelligence:  Humans, Chimpanzees, Bonobos, Orangutans, Gorillas, Dolphins, Orcas, Elephants, European Magpies.

Intelligence is not just another way of adaptative recourse. I mean physically, is as beauty as complex as every example you bring.

But, the level of human race intelligence has no parallel. You can say everything was part of evolution, but as far as today there are just hypothesis of how human intelligence evolved. So there is not a fallacy argument. Is not explained yet.

Apart from this, it is impossible to probe (or not) if ET take a hand with DNA.

So the possibility is there.

The possibility is the same as human race itself put life and conditions in another planet and help it evolute. Do you think we could do it? I think yes.

SM

shamash

Spoiler
[close]

And shoplifting from imdb. ;)

OpenMaw

Quote from: bioweapon on Apr 23, 2012, 07:12:27 AM
Intelligence is not just another way of adaptative recourse. I mean physically, is as beauty as complex as every example you bring.

But, the level of human race intelligence has no parallel. You can say everything was part of evolution, but as far as today there are just hypothesis of how human intelligence evolved. So there is not a fallacy argument. Is not explained yet.

Apart from this, it is impossible to probe (or not) if ET take a hand with DNA.

So the possibility is there.

The possibility is the same as human race itself put life and conditions in another planet and help it evolute. Do you think we could do it? I think yes.

We could certainly could try to drop animals that already exist onto another world, or drop some kind of bacteria onto an alien world and let it thrive. We already deal in artificial selection with pets, livestock, etc... That's not the issue with the idea.

The issue with the idea is that it tries to explain things that don't really need another explanation. Like where the pyramids came from, or how we developed speech, or civilization. It totally ignores and rejects all the hard work human beings have put in over the centuries, all the good fortune, and all the people who died trying to learn things from our very beginnings right on through to present day.  I mean, it's quite literally based on bullshit and ignorance.

Did it ever occur to you that our design is the thing that makes us special? Our bodies have naturally evolved. We were the fortunate ones. Why is that hard to understand? One species had to be. It could just as easily be the apes evolving the better brain and the ability to stand up straight while we were locked in cages playing pictionary and drawing with crayons. Which, by the way? There's your answer. We're not that far from some of our neighbors. As I said earlier, things like the microchip, quantum physics, and landing a man on the moon almost seem like whims for us when you compare them to the basic concept of intelligence. Apes, Dolphins, other animals on this planet do in fact have quite substantial intelligence. They're limited by how they've evolved. They are built to do other things.

Which brings us to a better question... What do you think holds the second smartest animal back from being right there with us?

Their design. Dolphins are limited by their design. If they had hands and the ability to forge things from fire they too could probably be an advanced civilization. In terms of the billions of years on this Earth, they are a blink of an eye away from being on our playing field. Apes, too, are not that far removed from us. They have the intelligence of small children. That's more profound than people give credit. It's so easy for us to take for granted how the small things are actually very important. Very ironic, even, that David himself says "Big things have small beginnings" yet the theory of an alien coming down and giving us these gifts seems like just another cultist new age religion than an actual serious scientific concept. It's basically saying humans, and all of our perceived accomplishments are basically chalked up to an alien sticking his finger in the primordial ooze and stirring every few centuries until we were ripe.

T Dog

Which brings us to a better question... What do you think holds the second smartest animal back from being right there with us?

My answer to this question is that mankind holds back the second smartest animal from being right there with us.

Maybe it's the caffeine kicking in but I've begun to fantasize that maybe all those beached whales and mammals that we push back into sea were actually trying to evolve into becoming land creatures and we are interfering with the course of nature.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 23, 2012, 11:19:31 AMMaybe it's the caffeine kicking in but I've begun to fantasize that maybe all those beached whales and mammals that we push back into sea were actually trying to evolve into becoming land creatures and we are interfering with the course of nature.
Could be, except for the fact that they all die after beaching themselves. And we don't push them back, we blow them up, because that's just hilarious.

OpenMaw

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 23, 2012, 11:19:31 AM
Maybe it's the caffeine kicking in but I've begun to fantasize that maybe all those beached whales and mammals that we push back into sea were actually trying to evolve into becoming land creatures and we are interfering with the course of nature.

They kinda need the water.

I like ChrisPachi's answer though.

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 23, 2012, 11:45:52 AM
Could be, except for the fact that they all die after beaching themselves. And we don't push them back, we blow them up, because that's just hilarious.

This is just so...wrong, on so many levels.   :o

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 23, 2012, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 23, 2012, 11:45:52 AM

This is just so...wrong, on so many levels.   :o
Ironically, if we don't blow them up they kind of do it themselves.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 23, 2012, 03:36:52 PM
Ironically, if we don't blow them up they kind of do it themselves.

LOL.  I remember seeing footage of the aftermath from that Taiwanese "suicide bomber" whale.

In all seriousness, it is incredibly sad to realize how often these wonderful animals beach themselves.  Yes, sometimes they can be saved, and that makes for a great story...but I suspect that in the vast majority of cases (world-wide), these poor creatures die a slow death.  :'(

By the way, I believe that explosives are still sometimes used to destroy whale carcasses.  However, the clean-up crew usually has the good sense to tow it out to sea, before blowing it up into tiny bits.  ::)

Capovin

Capovin

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 23, 2012, 05:16:35 AM
Quote from: Capovin on Apr 23, 2012, 04:28:28 AM
Hmm did I say anywhere it was because of Aliens? No because I don't believe it was. I'm simply stating it's a POSSIBILITY, and there are enough things unexplained to warrant that. The burden of proof is not on me. But your rational of we just "happened" to follow the right path, irks me a little. There's such a massive amount of coincidences to have gotten us to the point we are now. If that doesn't make you scratch your head and ask "why" I don't know what to say. Just luck? It just happens? I'm sorry, not good enough. I guess being inquisitive is just my nature. I know how science hypothesizes our development, you missed the point, why did we "happen" to follow the path, why just us?

Capovin, contingency is an integral feature of Evolution via Natural Selection.  Refer to my previous reply post #111.  There is no goal or ultimate "direction" of Evolution towards developing organisms with greater intelligence, finally resulting in Homo sapiens.  Wind the "tape of Life" back a few million years, and hit "replay", and it is entirely possible (perhaps even probable) that nothing remotely resembling human intelligence and consciousness would have arisen.  The specific contingencies that were required, all along the process, are incalculable.  Although not completely accurate, you could substitute the term "coincidence" for "contingency", here, without seriously affecting the argument.  Alternatively, going back even further, if certain mass extinctions didn't occur, or any number of other contingencies...it is entirely possible that a "human" level of intelligence and consciousness might have arisen millions of years ago, in some other species.

Note that I am speaking exclusively on scientific terms, here.  My personal Catholic beliefs add a much richer and deeper layer of nuance to this picture.  However, religious faith and belief does not have a place in a purely scientific argument.

I see what youre saying, but I personally believe (and I will break out if the scientific argument guidlines here) things happen for a reason, I've seen evidence in my life of it both subtle and not so subtle at all, now you don't have to believe that, but I do, more than I believe anything else really, because it's not secondhand information, it's my own personal experience. And it goes to follow that I don't believe much in coincidence. However in regards to your post, I speculate that's possible, maybe another species did evolve to our intelligence and we just have no record, but so far in the here and now (which is all one can truly know) we are the only and forgive me if I'm curious about it and am not satisfied with the scientific explanation. Just as I'm not satisfied with the big bang theory (which is a whole other discussion) I am also curious as to how youve reconciled Catholicism with your strict adherence to these beliefs. I imagine there's a lot of "take what you want and leave the rest" involved or no?

And open maw

"The issue with the idea is that it tries to explain things that don't really need another explanation. Like where the pyramids came from, or how we developed speech, or civilization. It totally ignores and rejects all the hard work human beings have put in over the centuries, all the good fortune, and all the people who died trying to learn things from our very beginnings right on through to present day.  I mean, it's quite literally based on bullshit and ignorance.

Did it ever occur to you that our design is the thing that makes us special? Our bodies have naturally evolved. We were the fortunate ones. Why is that hard to understand? One species had to be. It could just as easily be the apes evolving the better brain and the ability to stand up straight while we were locked in cages playing pictionary and drawing with crayons. Which, by the way? There's your answer. We're not that far from some of our neighbors. As I said earlier, things like the microchip, quantum physics, and landing a man on the moon almost seem like whims for us when you compare them to the basic concept of intelligence. Apes, Dolphins, other animals on this planet do in fact have quite substantial intelligence. They're limited by how they've evolved. They are built to do other things."

So any alternatives to our established history comes out of "bullshit and ignorance" you take for example the pyramids. We have found the quarries, the tools used to make them but even still you act like we know exactly how we built the pyramids, when we straight up don't.  Like I said I'm not trying to prove Aliens did it, I'm just simply pointing out, if there were in fact aliens visiting earth, then it's POSSIBLE they helped out.
In fact let's just assume for a minute (purely hypothetical) that aliens do exist, and have visited us in the past. Now the question is, did they interact or not interact with us? They could just as easily been observers and had absolutely no interaction with us, but if I knew Aliens did exist and visited us in the past I would be more inclined to believe it was a possibility that they helped us out.

And to your next question "did it ever occur to you it was our design" first off, i dont like your tone, its a bit patronizing, secondly yes of course, isn't that what this is all about? How exactly did we become that "design", just through the process of evolution it was bound to happen? Or we are just very lucky? Coincidence? This is not a question out of ignorance i simply do not think "evolution and a shitload of coincidences" is an all encompassing satisfactory explanation. Like I said above I don't buy that. You may, I don't. But like I said much earlier on no one will convince each other of anything in this thread. You want to hold on to your beliefs so badly. I don't even believe AA "theory", I'm just stating it's a possibility.

And here "The issue with the idea is that it tries to explain things that don't really need another explanation."  if we took everything at face value we would never progress, you're basically saying "close the book on that one, no room for other explanations anymore" no, that humans themselves did all these things is the most likely situation given our current knowledge but let's say twenty years from now we find a flying saucer buried 200 feet below the sphinx, are you going to say "I still think humans did it all" or are you going to change your beliefs. Fact is, we make new discoveries every day, I'm not saying that's gonna happen but it is a possibility. You don't know what our future discoveries might be, and we definitely haven't discovered everything there is to discover. It's a possibility, and a far more probable one than the earth being made of pudding or breathing nails. Give it a rest.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed