Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 155,107 times)

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

Here are my problems with the new trailer.

- While the characters in the original were funny, it was dry wit, and it was their interactions with each other and in situations together that brought the comedy. They themselves weren't having a great time, just trying to make some money in a job like any other. It was only Ray who seemed to get some childish pleasure out of busting ghosts. The characters in this remake are written like those of an Adam Sandler movie. Individuals are wacky, stupid, and a fall from a great height or slammed against a wall and get straight back up like they didn't feel a thing. I see Melissa McCarthy did a cartwheel Matrix-style while zapping a ghost in one of the trailers... Just... no. Keep it grounded in reality as best you can with supernatural events.

- The ghosts look awful. I've seen lots of people say that it reminds them of the Scooby Doo movie with it's special effects but it's true, they really look dated. They remind me a bit of the ghosts in the 2009 video game. This was fine on my 360, but not in a current blockbuster. Did no-one learn anything for the praise the new Star Wars and Mad Max got for practical effects use?

- People at the rock concert are not afraid of the ghost dragon... thing. Some even get a selfie with it. I suppose they could explain it like the crowd think its a gig hologram like Tupac but are we meant to expect they are that dense? There is a problem when the only people who are scared of a ghost is the Ghostbusters themselves.

- The inevitable gender issue. I am fine with female ghostbusters and female actors taking centre stage. Rey was great in Star Wars, I found Furiosa a much more interesting protagonist than Max and the Alien franchise is my absolute favourite. But did we have to have such a major shift to the opposite end of the spectrum? Could 2 guys and 2 gals not have made up the team instead to please everyone? The only male star in this now is a bumbling idiot who, thanks to giving away too much in the trailer, gets possessed and becomes the movie's bad guy.

- Sony. God, these guys are just the worst. I read the leaked emails on this film, saw how much they simply wanted to make a quick buck, trivialising Ramis' death and seeing it as an opportunity, threatening Bill Murray with a lawsuit if he didn't appear for a cameo, deleting negative posts under their trailers and leaving only sexist bigotry and saying the negativity comes from that alone...

The approach to this movie seems to be to get a new generation into ghostbusters. But in doing so, have ignored the established fans. Deadpool showed studios that R rated movies are hits. I hope this shows that rehashing classics with little respect for the source material will be a financial disaster.

genocyber

genocyber

genocyber

genocyber

I wonder how much he got payed to shill this turd.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Then explain the trailers, Dan.

Are nerds misogynist? I mean they are afraid of girls and gamers seem to be the same way... the movie still looks likes shit but I mean there may be a point.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

Imagine you have a regular drinking location that you frequent. You've been going there for years, some of your favourite memories have taken place there. You know that when you go there you will get a friendly welcome in fun, reassuring surroundings.
Then one day you go in, The name above the bar is the same but suddenly its all different. There are neon lasers projected onto walls, smoke machines, foam makers and the place is full of women, apart from a brainless stripper on stage, who is topless and eating a lump of wood while the women cheer and scream, slipping on the floor and falling through windows.
You look across at a crystal cup that used to be mounted on the wall, must have had some historical significance. Maybe it was a trophy. Perhaps someone famous once drank from it. You don't know, but it's something symbolic of the place. Now it's being used to catch the vomit of one particular woman who's had a few too many.
You see one solidarity black woman in the corner, but decide to avoid her as she seems to be mentally unstable. The stripper begins taking a buzzsaw to his own arm while the women begin to cheer louder. You're miserable and covered with party foam. Which gets everywhere. In every crack.
You go outside and talk to the bouncer.

"What happened to this place??"

"It was changed."

"Why?"

"To accomodate a newer fresh audience. It's more progressive."

"But it was great the way it was! Why change it? Look in there! There are women smashing plates over each others heads, falling over, breaking through walls..."

"They are having fun aren't they?"

"... Well yes... But you don't understand. I LOVED this place. I absolutely loved it. So did so many people I know! I used to talk late into the night with people about this place! And it looks like a generic club now! You've stripped it of all its character. It looks so cheap! And yes people in there are having fun, but it's not my kind of fun!"

"Well maybe you are getting too old for this place, did you think of that?"

"No, it's not that at all! The place used to have an older demographic anyway. People grew up knowing this place. But it's completely changed it's target market, it's unfair to the regulars who come here. For one thing it's full of women..."

"Oh so THAT'S it, is it? Can't stand seeing women having fun? Women can party just as hard as guys. You know I encounter misogyny like yours all the time. You scum."

"WHAT?? It's not that they are women in there. I love women! It's just full of women going CRAZY. Were you handing out free cocaine at the door? They are off their TITS. There is one guy in there, true, but I don't think him and myself would get on. I watched him trying to feed a carrot to the condom vending machine. And where is Bill that used to help run this place?"

"He's still here. He cleans the crap off the walls at the end of the night."

"THAT'S what Bill is doing now?? He made this place! You can't make him a Janitor, he deserves more! Besides, I know Bill would absolutely despise working here! Why did he accept that position??"

"That's confidential. Look, this is the way it is now, so you better learn to like it. It's still the same place. You can either pay up, swallow that misplaced male ego and try and enjoy yourself or you can bugger off, you sexist prick."

You leave, but turn and look back at the place one last time. You feel the bass through the ground mixed with the never ending screams of hysterical women, and through the ever-changing tone of the glass windows, the silouette of projectile vomiting. You look up at the name of your once-loved home from home mounted above the door. It looks the same, but someone has taken it into photoshop and stuck a bevel emboss on it. It reads: GHOSTBUSTERS.

A single solitary tear rolls down your face as you walk home.

genocyber

genocyber

ace3g

ace3g

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

sigh

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

Does anyone else think this is really shitty? Long time fans of a beloved movie hate the direction it's going, so the cast insult their target audience, calling them sad losers.

Are critics going to be scared to give it negative reviews? And are the cast going to apologise if the movie gets slammed? I've never seen anything like this before.

Magegg

Magegg

I wonder how more open the audience would have been if the new Ghostbusters were female supermodels...

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 10, 2016, 08:21:19 PM
I wonder how more open the audience would have been if the new Ghostbusters were female supermodels...

Bad jokes are bad jokes no matter who delivers them.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2016, 08:41:41 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Jun 10, 2016, 08:21:19 PM

Bad jokes are bad jokes no matter who delivers them.
I'd like to think that the hate would be even worse. Let's be honest, the Ghostbuster weren't exactly hot guys. The women and the properties of their characters are exact copies of their male leads. McCarthy's Venkman is probably as much of a creep as Murray's. None of whom are all that hot either. Inserting hot chicks would have really set off a firestorm.

Jango1201

Jango1201

My only complaint about this film is its a remake. Women have had starring roles in many films for the last 30+ years. I'm not familiar with any of the new leads except for Melissa and I'm still not sold on her because I don't think shes that funny. She plays the same kind of character in almost all of her movies. Spy I think was her best work. I hope this movie gives her an opportunity to be more then just the same. Other then that I hope I'm wrong that this is going to be another crappy waste of money remake. 

ace3g

ace3g

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed