Newt and Ripley Play a Game

Started by NecronomIV, Jul 20, 2023, 12:36:04 AM

Author
Newt and Ripley Play a Game (Read 1,331 times)

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Another question about ALIENS, a film I've watched far too many times in the last 2 months.

There's a child's game that Newt plays on Ripley, just before she goes to sleep in the OR. She points to a spot on Ripley's chest, Ripley looks down and as she does so, Newt lifts her finger and touches Ripley's nose.

This is called back to later at the end with the Hypersleep pod and Ripley plays the same trick on Newt.

Obviously this is a common child's game.

Is there a name for this game?

SiL

SiL

"Got ya".

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Cheers. Asking the hard questions here!

It's interesting that it's not scripted, but it's a clear and structured call-back / mirror.

They both talk about dreams ("scary dreams" / "can I dream") and physically mirror the scene with the game.

I wonder if that was something the actors came up with; I can almost imagine Carrie trying it with the cast and then it being incorporated.

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jul 20, 2023, 04:30:14 AMCheers. Asking the hard questions here!

It's interesting that it's not scripted, but it's a clear and structured call-back / mirror.

They both talk about dreams ("scary dreams" / "can I dream") and physically mirror the scene with the game.

I wonder if that was something the actors came up with; I can almost imagine Carrie trying it with the cast and then it being incorporated.

It's just supposed to symbolise the bond. With the Director's cut we realise Ripley lost her own daughter. With the theatrical cut we realise Ripley just isn't into children being left to die. I don't think it was the intention to know the specifics.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Growing up, I always heard this referred to as "beebopping." When you get someone to look down, you touch their nose and say "beebop."

I have no idea how regional this was.

Corporal Hicks

It was always "made you look" in my little corner of the UK.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 27, 2023, 02:01:06 PMIt was always "made you look" in my little corner of the UK.

Thank you. That's what I'd put it down as, but I was wondering if I'd just made it up.

Obviously, it seems to be a common game around the world with various names.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed