Is the alien as strong as we make it out to be?

Started by littlesprout, Jun 19, 2023, 07:20:36 PM

Author
Is the alien as strong as we make it out to be? (Read 7,359 times)

SiL

They evacuate the town after the power plant gets damaged. You see the traffic jam in the infamous "people are dying, we need guns" scene, then rows of empty cars when the National Guard arrives.

Xenomrph

Huh, I don't remember that at all.

Eal

Has there ever been an Aliens shooter where the Aliens are a threat? Like, you can kill them at range, but if they get their hands on you, you're screwed basically?

426Buddy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 21, 2023, 03:10:10 PMHuh, I don't remember that at all.

Well, its not a memorable movie I suppose.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jun 21, 2023, 03:29:00 PMHas there ever been an Aliens shooter where the Aliens are a threat? Like, you can kill them at range, but if they get their hands on you, you're screwed basically?
Technically Fireteam elite and AVP2 if you aren't on normal/standard

Like, on AFTE, if a Drone or Warrior gets too close and you are by yourself, you are basically screwed, SPECIALLY if you are on Intense+

Eal

Eal

Quote from: SiL on Jun 21, 2023, 09:50:04 AMThey evacuate the town after the power plant gets damaged. You see the traffic jam in the infamous "people are dying, we need guns" scene, then rows of empty cars when the National Guard arrives.

Surprised that any details are remembered by anyone of that particular film.

Then again, I remember details of The Room and a 1980 Fulci film, so I shouldn't be that wow'd or amazed.

SiL

In the theatrical version there's also a shot from Wolf's POV watching the cars (replaced by Molly and Kelly in the cemetery in the extended edition.)

I know me AvP films, what can I say

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jun 21, 2023, 09:53:43 PMI know me AvP films, what can I say

I think I saw AvPR more than once and the only thing I can truly remember is the eggbarfing scene.

Eal

Quote from: SiL on Jun 21, 2023, 09:53:43 PMIn the theatrical version there's also a shot from Wolf's POV watching the cars (replaced by Molly and Kelly in the cemetery in the extended edition.)

I know me AvP films, what can I say

Huh...to be frank, the only thing I remember was the scene where the dad's arm was melted off and the kid and him get Merc'd by a couple facehuggers. I remember watching the scene and giggling. Not cause the tone was funny, it's pretty mean and dark, but over how over the top and violent it is (the acid is at least realistic for once!).

SiL

Also fun fact, at the time of the evacuation there are only three Aliens including the PredAlien. Carrie, the first host of fresh Aliens, doesn't pop until after the power goes out.

Acid_Reign161

The alien is incredibly powerful. Aside from being able to adapt to any environment, we see it crushing Parker's head with its bare hands before it finishes him with a bite, lifting Bret up into the vents balancing only on its tail. We see them battering metal doors in the 2nd movie.

The problem first arose with 'Aliens' - as soon as you include more than one of them, the writers don't know what to do with them besides turn them into fodder. Sure, explosive-tip caseless light armoured piercing rounds... but it kick started a trend which was repeated in Resurrection, and every videogame since bar 'Isolation'(only Creative Assembly gave the creature the respect it deserved).

'Alien 3' doesn't get enough recognition... sure you can argue the prisoners had no weapons... but this is supposed to be a facility holding double-y chromo boys...murderers, rapists, and as we see during the attack on Ripley, guys like Dillon can handle themselves... not one of them was anything when faced with the xeno. AvP movies the Alien is always nerfed for the sake of the Predators.

Yes, the Alien is powerful - I hope Romulus shows it the respect it deserves.

Necronomicon II

I think despite the explosive rounds Cameron still made them a nightmare just by virtue of capitalising on the acid spray. You don't dare kill it but if you do, well, you're still possibly f**ked.

SiL

The Aliens aren't cannon fodder in Resurrection.

One gets blown up in an EEV after slaughtering the occupants.

Ripley shoots one.

One gets blown up underwater.

Another gets shot on the ladder.

That's 4 Aliens killed the whole movie (not counting the ones the Aliens killed, obviously).

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 24, 2023, 12:52:03 AMI think despite the explosive rounds Cameron still made them a nightmare just by virtue of capitalising on the acid spray. You don't dare kill it but if you do, well, you're still possibly f**ked.

Apart from Dwayne Hicks. Who lived to die another day.

SiL

Considering most of the acid hit his armour, the fact it put him out of commission with mostly just splash back is still pretty impressive. Last seen doping himself to the eyeballs on painkillers.

Hudson got off the lightest.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed