Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 137,260 times)

vikingspawn

happypred

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 16, 2015, 09:04:47 PM
Not really thrilled about the continued cross-over between Aliens and Predator.  That idea failed with the last two movies.  The novelty wore off a decade ago.  Now I find myself having to read through predator comics to get at some Aliens stories.  I mean it is obvious that there is an Aliens connection here, yet it is referred to as a predator comic.  Not cool.  I don't think this has Ridley Scott's support...

Don't buy Predator Life and Death (not sure whether there are aliens in it...seems like a Predator/Prometheus story).

Instead, go buy Aliens Defiance.

The two movies failed to capture the potential of the concept, doesn't mean it's a bad concept...you are however, entitled to your personal taste

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 16, 2015, 09:04:47 PM
Not really thrilled about the continued cross-over between Aliens and Predator.  That idea failed with the last two movies.  The novelty wore off a decade ago.  Now I find myself having to read through predator comics to get at some Aliens stories.  I mean it is obvious that there is an Aliens connection here, yet it is referred to as a predator comic.  Not cool.  I don't think this has Ridley Scott's support...

As much as I liked the AVP crossover and the films in general... I am sort of agreeing here. I mean if I want a Predator story, I have to tredge through this Prometheus bull but it doesn't feel like I'm reading a Predator or AVP story. As a matter of fact, I might as well say that Prometheus... kind of took over in a hostile manner and effectively killed AVP. I think SiL said it best, it's not the Alien-Predator universe anymore, it's the Prometheus universe.

And considering that Ridley Scott didn't like the concept of Alien vs. Predator, I don't think he is entirely for this as well. I've heard some claims on this forum that he was a bit apprehensive when being told about Fire and Stone. So, if he is apprehensive about it-- he still doesn't think highly of the concept. I doubt we will see Predators in the upcoming Prometheus sequels.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 16, 2015, 09:38:58 PM
I see your point. It seems every company is in a rush to catch some "cinematic universe" lightning in a bottle, but at least DH is giving us an Aliens series (Defiance) that seems to be its own thing, as well.

See, this is a problem with I have with the current canon and how it's being handled. Alien-Predator DOESN'T need a shared universe because it has BEEN a shared universe since 1989.. 1990 if you don't count the comics, and was further solidified in 2004-- regardless if anyone liked the film or not. Now it seems like every studio out there is trying to do what Marvel Studios has done-- but Marvel Studios has the privilege of having actual comic writers and content creators working on their material... Alien-Predator doesn't. Never did. They were originally two separate universes until the original and TRUE AvP came out, and solidified in Predator 2. And now it seems like every studio out there is trying to emulate what Marvel's done... I can understand Warner Brothers with the DC Cinematic Universe, but now I'm hearing of a Hasbroverse which... is just a bit ridiculous.

In the case of Alien-Predator, well.. as I said, it's BEEN a shared universe. No need to market it as being a new shared universe. It's been one for over twenty six years. There are many shared universes out there that apparently... studios are pretending don't exist, or have forgotten that they do, and are trying to market them as new, wild, untried concepts... selling them to us, and we fall for it. It's kind of hamfisted.

In the case of the AVP concept, with new light being looked on Anderson's statements on the AVP franchise essentially being a stand-alone and not so much a continuation of the Alien franchise, then what the hell does that make them and the concept entirely? Their own separate but parallel canon, an AU, or never was canon in the first place?

In the case of the comics, I have a feeling we're never going to get a stand-alone Predator series that has NO Prometheus or Alien references, nor will be set in the past or the present. And as a Predator fan... that... kind of upsets me.

I'm passing on this one..

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 16, 2015, 09:04:47 PMNot really thrilled about the continued cross-over between Aliens and Predator.

Is it a crossover? It mentions Marines and Engineers but no Aliens. We have no idea what's on the ship.

happypred

Yeah, don't think Life and Death has Aliens

I'm all for having Predator stories, Aliens stories, Prometheus stories, and all of the possible combinations. I'll stay away from what I don't like but I won't be praying for its abandonment.

I really don't think quality is tied to whether the story is a cross-over. It's really tied to the skill of the writers and artists...and the extent of Fox's meddling.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: happypred on Dec 17, 2015, 09:44:22 AM
I really don't think quality is tied to whether the story is a cross-over. It's really tied to the skill of the writers and artists...and the extent of Fox's meddling.

Indeed. Those are the real factors when it comes to quality.

Ultramorph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 17, 2015, 08:47:12 AM
Is it a crossover? It mentions Marines and Engineers but no Aliens. We have no idea what's on the ship.

That's a good point, and the title I used for the thread might have been a bit unclear. All we know is that it's the first part of a "story cycle" involving the Aliens, Predators, and Engineers. It could turn out that each of those is confined to their own series, and never cross over.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 17, 2015, 10:16:52 AMAll we know is that it's the first part of a "story cycle" involving the Aliens, Predators, and Engineers. It could turn out that each of those is confined to their own series, and never cross over.

That's what I took it to mean. But it could be interpreted either way.

Perfect-Organism

Whether its a cross over in terms of multiple-series intertwining is immaterial.  It is already a cross-over of sorts by the sheer fact of the Predator from the Predator universe appearing on a cover with the Juggernaut ship which originated in the Aliens universe.  Now since the Prometheus film basically wrote the AVP films out of canon co-existence why are we having more Aliens / Predator stories, while featuring Prometheus elements no less?  I am very surprised that Ridley Scott tolerates this.  Perhaps he just doesn't think comics are worthy of being dignified by his attention..

I guess I just like the old way of things.  Aliens comics were Aliens comics.  Predator comics were Predator comics.  AVP comics were AVP comics.  You knew what brand you were in for when you picked up the book based on the title.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I hope that this series focuses more on the Engineers' other technology aside from the accelerant. The humans and Predators competing over Engineers' guns and FTL technology would be pretty cool.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 17, 2015, 06:37:47 PM
I hope that this series focuses more on the Engineers' other technology aside from the accelerant. The humans and Predators competing over Engineers' guns and FTL technology would be pretty cool.

Me too. Their focus on the accelerant - despite not being able to play with it properly - was one of the things I did dislike about Fire and Stone.

Perfect-Organism

The focus on the accelerant was not really a problem.  I mean they were on LV-223 so accelerant is expected,  But to suggest that is all the Engineers have in their arsenal is really lowering the expectations.  I am sure they have lots more goodies.

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 17, 2015, 07:02:41 PM
Me too. Their focus on the accelerant - despite not being able to play with it properly - was one of the things I did dislike about Fire and Stone.

The accelerant is a fine concept and an interesting plot device if used well IMO...Sebela just f*cked up the AvP comic and Olivetti's art was bad (guy could not draw Predators or Aliens at all)

I thought the accelerant was used well in the Prometheus comic

Ultramorph

As long as it doesn't turn into a black goo cluster like AvP did, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I imagine they'll probably have an interview with Abnett promoting the whole thing after the holidays and the Star Wars hype dies down.

happypred

Hulk Francis vs. Hulk Predator vs. "Hello, I'm Elden"

...the very essence of Aliens vs. Predator. Thank you Sebela

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed