The Fitness Thread

Started by DoomRulz, Feb 27, 2014, 07:26:32 PM

Author
The Fitness Thread (Read 26,527 times)

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 14, 2016, 03:45:21 AM
I'm back to working out after nearly a full year away from the gym. I had one session last week; an hour of legs. Between that and a 16 minute metcon routine at the end, I could barely walk for the next four days. This week however, last Monday, I repeated the exact same thing, barely felt it!
Its annoying when you break your workout for some time.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jan 14, 2016, 05:23:20 PM
I'm back to working out after nearly a full year away from the gym. I had one session last week; an hour of legs. Between that and a 16 minute metcon routine at the end, I could barely walk for the next four days. This week however, last Monday, I repeated the exact same thing, barely felt it!
Couldn't be helped. I was sick last year, had surgery, and a shoulder injury.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 14, 2016, 05:33:30 PM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jan 14, 2016, 05:23:20 PM
Couldn't be helped. I was sick last year, had surgery, and a shoulder injury.
How did that happen.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Perhaps you could be more specific.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 14, 2016, 10:25:57 PM
How did the injury's happen

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

http://sixpackshortcuts.com/desktop/mm//?afid=4761&click_id=102ada66848ccd7576c2ef809997a4&offer_id=18&c1=pickwhatyouwant_mm&c2=&c3=&source=

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jan 16, 2016, 05:27:17 PM

I missed this! Sorry bud.

I was working on my shoulder muscles. I don't know what the exercise is specifically called, but it involves tying a TRX around a chin up bar on the wall, and pulling myself up at an angle with one arm for X number of reps, to be repeated with the other arm. I ended up tearing my left pectoral muscle and was out of action for almost two months. Let me tell you; it hurt like a son of a bitch. I couldn't raise my arm at all.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 22, 2016, 07:04:55 AM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jan 16, 2016, 05:27:17 PM

I missed this! Sorry bud.

I was working on my shoulder muscles. I don't know what the exercise is specifically called, but it involves tying a TRX around a chin up bar on the wall, and pulling myself up at an angle with one arm for X number of reps, to be repeated with the other arm. I ended up tearing my left pectoral muscle and was out of action for almost two months. Let me tell you; it hurt like a son of a bitch. I couldn't raise my arm at all.
Dont worry,ouch must have hurt.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Oh yeah. My shoulder was on fire. I was popping Tylenol and Advil like they were going out of style.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

So if anyone is interested  in joining the RAF regt:

broughtpain

broughtpain

A few pointers from someone with years and years experience...

1. Don't get sold on funky dieting. Adequate nutritional intake is priority #1. Vitamin supplements should be well balanced and not in excess of the "daily value". A lot of supplements will have a shit load of B vitamins. Avoid those. Stick with balanced multi-vitamins that don't have 100X what you need. Protein shakes work okay, but nowhere near as good as meal replacement drinks. Anything like instant breakfast that has protein, carbs, calories, vitamins will work better. Your nutritional intake should be based on two to three stages of energy production:fast and medium and slow. Energy production considerations should include protein. When your body's fuel is adequately structure, your body's performance will be optimal.
2. Rest. PLENTY OF REST! You won't find anything that can supplement rest and without it you won't gain nearly as much. Your body will always be recovering to some extent without enough rest. Especially your immune system.
3. Your body fits a more static design than you realize. The mechanics are such that each rage of motion involves multiple muscles and naturally developed along range of motion oriented paths. Don't try to compensate by working one group more to have what feels like or seems to be more even impact. Focus on how you're body moves more than what specific muscles are being used. A huge deal is realizing that there's two separate aspects to how your body moves. There's the joints and the muscles. Avoid using your joints. Focus on using your muscles. Most plateauing comes from using the joints instead of the muscles. Your joints don't develop so you don't gain beyond what your muscle memory involves your joints. You won't suffer as much because your muscles were designed to heal as your joints were meant for motion.
4. Work towards having your own gym. Bit by bit and piece by piece it will happen.
5. Advanced supplement construction: once you understand what your body needs, what your body does best with and what works, you can begin stacking effectively. Augmentation using actual food sources(ie: adding peanut butter, raw eggs and instant breakfast to a whey protein shake) is one side of the coin with using various supplements to make a supplement custom tailored for you being the other. Regardless of who says it and what they are trying to pitch; there's no getting away from actual food for the best results.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Then there is age... and age is a bitch.  :'(

Thankfully we have drugs. :)

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Stitch

Stitch

This is an old thread, but I figure it's better than starring a new one!

I used to run loads, but a bad knee (caused by running, of all things) kinda put paid to it until I could get my fitness back in shape, working around it. Recently I've managed to get back to a decent point (I think), and I've started running again.

I'm hoping to do the Birmingham and Manchester half marathons this year, if I can get to that point. Just did 5.5 miles in 70 minutes.

Anyone else entering those?

Retropocalypse

Retropocalypse

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 19, 2023, 06:21:05 PMThis is an old thread, but I figure it's better than starring a new one!

I used to run loads, but a bad knee (caused by running, of all things) kinda put paid to it until I could get my fitness back in shape, working around it. Recently I've managed to get back to a decent point (I think), and I've started running again.

I'm hoping to do the Birmingham and Manchester half marathons this year, if I can get to that point. Just did 5.5 miles in 70 minutes.

Anyone else entering those?

That's a really good time for 5.5 miles. I've only recently managed to hit 10 kilometers in about 62 mins - on a treadmill.

I struggled to reach 5K just a few months ago.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed