Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 184,495 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Just think of all the shows that Fox cancelled they could bring back

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 15, 2017, 11:47:50 AM
Just think of all the shows that Fox cancelled they could bring back

Firefly!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'd be a dream come true.

Quote from: Xenomania on Dec 15, 2017, 11:36:35 AM
I wonder what this means for the videogames (if anything)? Are we any closer to Isolation 2 now? :'(

I don't know where Sega stands with the Alien license atm. I don't know if they still own it or not. Fox was working on a VR game for their FoxLand Theme Park but who knows what's going to happen with that now.

Ultramorph

Disney now owns part of Boom! Studios, right? Maybe Cthulhu will show up in Marvel comics now. :laugh:

0321recon

I'm scrolling across audience reactions on RT and other websites to the Last Jedi, and boy I'm fearful of what Disney will pull with Alien.

Londez84

Honestly, I don't care what Disney does with the Alien franchise as long as they don't let senile old Ridley touch it ever again.   

Hyperdyne120-a2

What does he mean when he says there's a place for R rated content if we let audiences know what's coming? I don't like the sound of that...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 15, 2017, 08:43:41 AM
Can the baby queen from Alien 3 be a Disney princess now?

Well, they already have a "Bambi burster" in Alien 3 so why not?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Hyperdyne120-a2 on Dec 15, 2017, 04:25:53 PM
What does he mean when he says there's a place for R rated content if we let audiences know what's coming? I don't like the sound of that...

As in all those daft folk who went to see Deadpool with their little kids not realizing what it was.

DaddyYautja

Quote from: SM on Dec 15, 2017, 06:39:08 AM

Looking at the reviews and box office, the world doesn't want to breathe.

i meant the story world not the real world.

From what im hearing the story of the new SW is a mess. People enjoy the pew, pew, but it doesnt even look like they saw the previous film to continue some storylines.

This looks exactly like transformers which each film retcon something from the last.

Prof. a

Everybody should remember that this deal still has to clear a few legal, regulatory hurdles. It is possible that several different government agencies could block this transaction. Considering that the current climate is very uncertain with regard to mergers and acquisitions (AT&T and Time Warner's merger is currently facing a regulatory hurdle), this deal could face some scrutiny.

From my own personal analysis, if the deal goes through, a lot will depend on who stays and who goes in the leadership positions. Stacey Snider, currently heading the film division, has hinted another Alien will go forward. But, rumors are swirling in the trade magazines that she will be leaving her post.

So, we have several different possibilities:
1) Within the next 12-18 months, there is a transition period where many of the same staff will stay in place. The current staff quickly greenlights the next Alien film and it moves into production
2) Snider, Emma Watts, or some remaining deciders stay and move ahead with the next Alien film.
3) Disney puts on the breaks and brings in someone new. This new person will do an evaluation and what happens is anybody's guess.

If they are following their current model, we could see:
a) Star Wars-like soft reboot/sequel with many of the same formulas of the previous entries
b) Indiana Jones-like status - working with the original talent (Spielberg, Marshall, Ford) with a "promise" to make a film but no serious work commitments
c) Or obviously the film gets shelved.

0321recon

Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 15, 2017, 05:46:15 PM
Everybody should remember that this deal still has to clear a few legal, regulatory hurdles. It is possible that several different government agencies could block this transaction. Considering that the current climate is very uncertain with regard to mergers and acquisitions (AT&T and Time Warner's merger is currently facing a regulatory hurdle), this deal could face some scrutiny.

From my own personal analysis, if the deal goes through, a lot will depend on who stays and who goes in the leadership positions. Stacey Snider, currently heading the film division, has hinted another Alien will go forward. But, rumors are swirling in the trade magazines that she will be leaving her post.

1) Within the next 12-18 months, there is a transition period where many of the same staff will stay in place. The current staff quickly greenlights the next Alien film and it moves into production
2) Snider, Emma Watts, or some remaining deciders stay and move ahead with the next Alien film.
3) Disney puts on the breaks and brings in someone new. This new person will do an evaluation and what happens is anybody's guess.

a) Star Wars-like soft reboot/sequel with many of the same formulas of the previous entries
b) Indiana Jones-like status - working with the original talent (Spielberg, Marshall, Ford) with a "promise" to make a film but no serious work commitments

Boy, I hope Ridley finishes Cartel fast and starts production on Awakening before Disney takes over because just reading this morning of what happened with Last Jedi, I can't fathom what they'll do with the franchise.

Dan

I think they can move forward with Scotts final movie or they can cancell it because Disney sees more potential in Blomkamp's alredy pre producted (by ADI as well)film.Cameron  reviewed the script good so he could say a few word in the favour of Blomkamp.
Maybe they doing both and planning more sequels and Avp sequels also. If The Predator and the next Alien is a success that could move things forward.

Alionic

Quote from: 0321recon on Dec 15, 2017, 06:19:40 PM
Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 15, 2017, 05:46:15 PM

Boy, I hope Ridley finishes Cartel fast and starts production on Awakening before Disney takes over because just reading this morning of what happened with Last Jedi, I can't fathom what they'll do with the franchise.

What happened with The Last Jedi? I haven't seen it yet, so if it's spoiler related, please don't tell.  ;)

Xanadu

One question. I am not very knowledgeable on business stuff. Why did Fox with such a long history, now decided to sell itself to Disney? I thought Fox was doing great and its movies were making money.

Nukiemorph

Last Jedi was incredible.  It may be my new favorite Star Wars movie.

And I thought Scott claimed that Blomkamp's movie never got past a short treatment.  There was no full script yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed