Ridley Scott Gives Update on Prometheus 2

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Sep 24, 2014, 04:05:16 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Gives Update on Prometheus 2 (Read 49,627 times)

Eva

Quote from: Xenolove on Sep 27, 2014, 02:21:27 AM
The Prometheus line is meant to move away from the Xenomorph storylines, while still being a part of the same Family. Let me use the Motorhead family of bands as an example: Motorhead is a brother band to Black Sabbath. Same family, different styles. Motorhead is the father-band to Metallica, While Megadeath is a brother band to Metallica. Metallica is the father-band to A7X, with Motorhead as their Grandfather, and Black Sabbath as their Great Uncle, while Megadeath is off doing their hermit uncle thing. Alien is Motorhead. Prometheus is Megadeath.

Spoiler
[close]

orchidal

orchidal

:D

Xenomorphine

Is he really so lacking in imagination that he thinks "snarling" is all there is to the Alien? I'd like to imagine it's a quote which has been taken out of context, but given all the strangely off tangent interviews we witnessed during 'Prometheus', I can sort of believe he literally meant it. He's technically proficient, sure, but the creative passion seems to have been left in yesteryear.

This is the same guy who felt bald albino men would be better and more interesting to see on screen, than the original Space Jockeys. The same guy who wanted the 'bio' removed from the 'biomechanical' aesthetics of the Engineer sets.

And, most hypocritically of all, was saying this same stuff about the Alien, while 'Prometheus' was being made - only to wind up including the far inferior (and fake-looking) Deacon, because... What? He found that scary? Impressive in a way Giger's creation somehow couldn't be?

Yes, the Alien's been over-exposed in popular culture, but portray it in the right way and the magic is just as potent as it's ever been - something which hasn't been done successfully for something like thirty years.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 27, 2014, 11:05:03 PM
What? He found that scary? Impressive in a way Giger's creation somehow couldn't be?

he never claimed that. But he's on record as wanting something "different". wich it is.

Anyway, the deacon was just used for a cameo.

This is the same guy who felt bald albino men would be better and more interesting to see on screen, than the original Space Jockeys.

How many sentient strange alien creatures have we seen in big budget scifi? How many "greek god-lookalikes"? :P

orchidal

orchidal

Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 27, 2014, 11:45:34 PM
What? He found that scary? Impressive in a way Giger's creation somehow couldn't be?

he never claimed that. But he's on record as wanting something "different". wich it is.

Anyway, the deacon was just used for a cameo.

This is the same guy who felt bald albino men would be better and more interesting to see on screen, than the original Space Jockeys.

How many sentient strange alien creatures have we seen in big budget scifi? How many "greek god-lookalikes"? :P

It's not only that...the Engineers are a letdown and may feel lazy design-wise when it comes down to them being the SJ's of the Alien Universe, but when you consider the story RS was trying to tell in combination with the mythology (Nephelem, the "Mayan Astronaut") of our forefathers this alabaster humanoid design works perfectly. Within the franchise/continuity though I'm in the camp that wanted it to be more alien in culture/communication/design. Hopefully in the sequel the more modern Engineers we meet will have continued to modify their bodies with technology to the point that they are truly biomechanical and non-humanoid.

p1nk81cd

Is he really so lacking in imagination that he thinks "snarling" is all there is to the Alien? I'd like to imagine it's a quote which has been taken out of context, but given all the strangely off tangent interviews we witnessed during 'Prometheus', I can sort of believe he literally meant it. He's technically proficient, sure, but the creative passion seems to have been left in yesteryear.

This is the same guy who felt bald albino men would be better and more interesting to see on screen, than the original Space Jockeys. The same guy who wanted the 'bio' removed from the 'biomechanical' aesthetics of the Engineer sets.

And, most hypocritically of all, was saying this same stuff about the Alien, while 'Prometheus' was being made - only to wind up including the far inferior (and fake-looking) Deacon, because... What? He found that scary? Impressive in a way Giger's creation somehow couldn't be?

Yes, the Alien's been over-exposed in popular culture, but portray it in the right way and the magic is just as potent as it's ever been - something which hasn't been done successfully for something like thirty years.

ThisBethesdaSea

My hope is that Ridley is able to find the next Giger.....some one who can create a new monster that's worthy of the world of Prometheus; a monster that keeps us awake at night...something completely separate from the alien we know and love.

I would agree with the sentiment that Ridley has lost his mojo. It's a painful process to watch. He's all function with not much form.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Sep 28, 2014, 10:32:49 PMI would agree with the sentiment that Ridley has lost his mojo. It's a painful process to watch. He's all function with not much form.

He hasn't made anything great since Kingdom of Heaven, and even that got raped by the studio.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: orchidal on Sep 25, 2014, 12:43:08 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 25, 2014, 12:40:26 AM
QuoteMost fans were dissapointed

You base this on?

Your face  :'(

Seriously? Please don't post nonsense replies such as that.

Quote from: Crazy shrimp on Sep 26, 2014, 11:34:40 PM
How about this?  8)

just found it recently  ;D

Just fan art, I'm afraid.

Personally I'm all for Prometheus 2. It doesn't need Aliens in it to make me happy. I like the exploration of the Space Jockeys - I just want a coherent story for the next one and maybe less rocky environment and more true biomechanical.

orchidal

orchidal

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 29, 2014, 08:10:11 AM
Quote from: orchidal on Sep 25, 2014, 12:43:08 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 25, 2014, 12:40:26 AM
QuoteMost fans were dissapointed

You base this on?

Your face  :'(

Seriously? Please don't post nonsense replies such as that.

But it is serious. He was trying to lure me into statistical intercourse and I just wanted to let him know that I didn't like him like that. But it shouldn't happen again; I see how it is now.

ThisBethesdaSea

By the ways, I hope there is no 2 in the sequel film. I've always found that as a lazy way to title a sequel.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Sep 29, 2014, 06:34:45 PMBy the ways, I hope there is no 2 in the sequel film. I've always found that as a lazy way to title a sequel.

Prometheuses?

Eva

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Sep 28, 2014, 10:32:49 PM
My hope is that Ridley is able to find the next Giger.....some one who can create a new monster that's worthy of the world of Prometheus; a monster that keeps us awake at night...something completely separate from the alien we know and love.

I would agree with the sentiment that Ridley has lost his mojo. It's a painful process to watch. He's all function with not much form.

I think Ridley made it pretty clear that he had no intentions on repeating himself with Prometheus or any sequels he's involved in. Prometheus isn't a monster movie in the same way ALIEN was. It's more about ideas and exploration of those ideas.

Blacklabel

in terrible, unimaginative ways :P

Gash

Well it certainly did things that no one expected. When you read some of the fan-fic ideas, Prometheus does appear to be at the very least a pleasantly leftfield examination of unfathomable alien gods, and that is certainly more interesting than the cul-de-sac of alien hordes and a Queen, and facehuggers, chestbursters etc that supposedly tick all the boxes.

The are character flaws, the odd editing issue, no denying it, but the basic idea opens up the alien universe decently. Personally I found it the first 'alien' film since 79 that felt like it was truly connected to that cold, desolate space previously established (with the possible exception of Outland). The planet environment might have been different but the daylight still felt cold and hostile in a desolate foreboding way; the Prometheus may have been pristine compared to a weary refinery ship, yet even a ship built for purpose can't save the humans within from the inhumanity of their first alien encounter.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed