Questions for Dark Descent Narrative Designer/Writer

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 06, 2023, 08:33:34 AM

Author
Questions for Dark Descent Narrative Designer/Writer (Read 1,959 times)

Corporal Hicks

You know the drill.

BlueMarsalis79

Spoiler
How on Earth did you get approval to go ahead with your own interpretation of the Pilot race civilization from Alien 1979 separate from the Engineers?
[close]

bobby brown

what the hell was
Spoiler
"Xenosynthesis" or, what was Marlow's plan?
[close]

Also, I would just like to say thank you for the final act in terms of inventiveness and execution.

Still Collating...

Basically, what others here have asked already with a pinch of my own ponderings:

Spoiler
Are they really Space Jockeys? I'm almost sure they are, but there are a lot of folk on the Alien RPG discord that aren't convinced just cause the aesthetic ain't a 100% recreation and cause they are in denial of anything that ain't the Engineers, so some confirmation from the other would help with that.

Second, the Nostromo like ship, the Bison, it's named the Montero. Exactly like the one in the RPG. The same class of ship. But by the timeline we know it's not possible for it to be the same ship. So was that just a mistake in the timeline, a nod to the RPG or that the game was originally set years earlier and the Montero thing fit in then, but was forgotten to be changed later?

The telepathy with the Aliens, what's up with that? From the old comics or the Sea of Sorrows novel?

The Xeno Titan we see, was it a normal drone variant or a Queen variant? Were the eggs laid by the Titan version of the Queen or engineered by the Jockeys?

Why leave the ending of the plot that much unresolved? Is it plans for a sequel or story DLC?

Why did Casandra sound ominous in the Montero/Bison ship level, yet later was shown to be unwilling in all of this. How was she helping the Darwin Era communicate with the Aliens? In the last level she said before the final Xeno Titan appearance that something felt wrong, is that a sign that not everything is as it seems in the end?
Why did Marlow, after trying so hard to prevent the marines from taking Casandra, in the end just let them do it without resistance? Told them to take care of her like she'll be continuing his plan or something. Is there something more sinister involved? Cause that seemed like Marlow made a plan b) and is using Casandra for something in the future.

Was Marlow the first chestbursted guy that started the infestation on Lethe? Cause he seemed to have been dead for quite some time.

The Space Jockey city was huge. How big does it get underground and what was the city used for? What are the huge eggs for? Since they're in the stasis field, does that mean they were being planned to be used against their own Space Jockey people?

How the hell did the Space Jockeys move around in you interpretation if they don't have legs?

Since there's so much love shown here for the RPG, why hasn't Gaska been consulted on the story (his name wasn't in the credits)?

Is Pryce a synth...? :P

WY has been shown too many times, almost cartoonishley incompetent. Part of the story had a more realistic portrayal of a mega company which was great even though some tropes at the later part of the betrayal arc were disappointingly expected. Done well, but still, the original more nuanced take from the beginning of the game was let go.

When WY was shown so often as incompetent, why did they have such an OP defense system for a planetary quarantine?
[close]

I know it's a lot in here, you choose Hicks which questions you find here most interesting to you if you can't ask all of them. Mostly interested in the lore about the last level and what was Marlow's plan all along.

Love this game, thank the writer from the bottom of my heart for making something like this! This is to Aliens what Alien Isolation was to Alien. I damn well hope for a sequel or story DLCs.

Nightlord

Looks like most of the best questions already got asked but I have a couple if this still hasn't happened:
Spoiler
So did our marines all die at the end? That final cutscene only has Cassandra and Maeko get onto the dropship.

Why wouldn't Pryce be able to deactivate the Cerberus protocol? Wouldn't WY want to keep a planet like Lethe available for research knowing that it has a Space Jockey city within it no matter how many aliens are running rampant on it? It's not as if collateral damage has been a concern of the company before.
[close]

Still Collating...

Nice, great question about Pryce, Nightlord!

I know you can't ask all of these questions probably Hicks, but I've remembered one more thing I'm a bit interested in:

Spoiler
Marlow says in his lab that he knows Harper. Studied him in hypresleep so that's why harper doesn't remember. Was it just that simple, or was there a more extensive history of testing and research and later just wiped the mind of Harper? What was Marlow's research on Harper and the colonists about before the Alien outbreak, and when was that research done?
[close]

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 06, 2023, 09:55:02 PMBasically, what others here have asked already with a pinch of my own ponderings:

Spoiler
Are they really Space Jockeys? I'm almost sure they are, but there are a lot of folk on the Alien RPG discord that aren't convinced just cause the aesthetic ain't a 100% recreation and cause they are in denial of anything that ain't the Engineers, so some confirmation from the other would help with that.

Second, the Nostromo like ship, the Bison, it's named the Montero. Exactly like the one in the RPG. The same class of ship. But by the timeline we know it's not possible for it to be the same ship. So was that just a mistake in the timeline, a nod to the RPG or that the game was originally set years earlier and the Montero thing fit in then, but was forgotten to be changed later?

The telepathy with the Aliens, what's up with that? From the old comics or the Sea of Sorrows novel?

The Xeno Titan we see, was it a normal drone variant or a Queen variant? Were the eggs laid by the Titan version of the Queen or engineered by the Jockeys?

Why leave the ending of the plot that much unresolved? Is it plans for a sequel or story DLC?

Why did Casandra sound ominous in the Montero/Bison ship level, yet later was shown to be unwilling in all of this. How was she helping the Darwin Era communicate with the Aliens? In the last level she said before the final Xeno Titan appearance that something felt wrong, is that a sign that not everything is as it seems in the end?
Why did Marlow, after trying so hard to prevent the marines from taking Casandra, in the end just let them do it without resistance? Told them to take care of her like she'll be continuing his plan or something. Is there something more sinister involved? Cause that seemed like Marlow made a plan b) and is using Casandra for something in the future.

Was Marlow the first chestbursted guy that started the infestation on Lethe? Cause he seemed to have been dead for quite some time.

The Space Jockey city was huge. How big does it get underground and what was the city used for? What are the huge eggs for? Since they're in the stasis field, does that mean they were being planned to be used against their own Space Jockey people?

How the hell did the Space Jockeys move around in you interpretation if they don't have legs?

Since there's so much love shown here for the RPG, why hasn't Gaska been consulted on the story (his name wasn't in the credits)?

Is Pryce a synth...? :P

WY has been shown too many times, almost cartoonishley incompetent. Part of the story had a more realistic portrayal of a mega company which was great even though some tropes at the later part of the betrayal arc were disappointingly expected. Done well, but still, the original more nuanced take from the beginning of the game was let go.

When WY was shown so often as incompetent, why did they have such an OP defense system for a planetary quarantine?
[close]

I know it's a lot in here, you choose Hicks which questions you find here most interesting to you if you can't ask all of them. Mostly interested in the lore about the last level and what was Marlow's plan all along.

Love this game, thank the writer from the bottom of my heart for making something like this! This is to Aliens what Alien Isolation was to Alien. I damn well hope for a sequel or story DLCs.

Pretty much this. Questions regarding the last level of this game and stuff.

OH AND IS IT CANON ?

Wweyland

Is there any more story-based DLC planned?

BenditlikeBeckum

sgt. alvarez had gotten the spot light with the official reveal trailer. Why all the secrecy? We got one datapad with his name on it but he has a voice actor and visual appearance. Will we ever see more? I liken his voice to Peter Weller. Did a side by side audio comparison and believe firmly he's the guy!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed