The Fitness Thread

Started by DoomRulz, Feb 27, 2014, 07:26:32 PM

Author
The Fitness Thread (Read 26,525 times)

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

That was probably it, then. I only drink water now, but still not enough.

In middle school and high school, I wouldn't even eat breakfast or lunch, and between going to bed and coming home from school, I'd probably go 13-15 hours without water. I hated public bathrooms.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Just superhydrate yourself.  Besides having to piss every twenty minutes which is annoying you'll be surprised at how much better you feel overall.

And by superhydrate I don't mean drink a gallon in twenty minutes or anything.

Sabby

Sabby

Believe me, adjusting to water is a trial xD I'm an on and off Cola addict. The migraines you get trying to quit can reduce you to a curled up crying mess at first. It's bad enough that I don't want to relapse just to avoid the withdrawals of getting back off of it.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I've got several buddies obsessed with getting Arnold big.  To bad none of them can pass the run on the pt test.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups, while getting cardio from basketball is all I need to do for fitness.

Topazora

Topazora

I really need to work on the muscle building,  my upper body strength is horrible.  Maybe take a break from cardio since I'm feeling a stress fracture in my foot where I broke it before. This will give me chance to get more muscle and raise that metabolism.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

If your considering Navy cardio is probably the most important thing to work on but you'll need to develop your upper body and core strength as well.

Limit your reasons for getting yelled at by whatever the Navy equivalent of a drill sergeant is.

We had one female in bct who couldn't do one situp on the first pt test.  Every time a DS would walk into the room they'd drop her for situps and pushups until finally she was beast moding them for the final pt test but I'm sure she didn't appreciate all the extra attention.

viendammage

viendammage

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Feb 27, 2014, 09:55:50 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 27, 2014, 08:38:21 PM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Feb 27, 2014, 08:21:24 PM
Good thread.

Got a question. I've been doing cardio 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes for a little over a month now. When I first started I weighted in at 93kg and I'm now down to 91kg. After this weigh in. I've noticed I'm not gaining weight nor losing weight. Do I need to start dieting in order to lose weight or can I just continue eating shitty food but increase my workout amount? I really hate dieting, I can't for the life of me get excited over eating a cold dry salad or cold grilled chicken 6 times a day every day.

Vary your workout.  In all likelihood you've plateaued and are merely sustaining your body with your current workload.  What is your cardio routine?

Also you'll be surprised at how much you'll lose lifting as your body eats its fat stores to turn them into muscles.

I exclusively use the elliptical machine for at least 30 minutes, 3 times a week. I'll throw in a 45 minute session to mix things up or if I skip a day, I go for an hour. I use the "rolling hills" mode.

1.80 meter height at 91kg. My goal is to get down to 68kg but that's a pipe dream for now. I'd love to have a Johnny Weir body type...absolutely minimal body fat LOL.

Definitely consider throwing in weights or a body weight program.  Lifting weights ups your metabolism during training and also while at rest.  If I remember correctly it's something like cardio boosts metabolism for 4 hours after a session while weights raises it for 24 hours.  So you're literally burning calories while just sitting.  Basic compound moves like squats, deadlift, clean and press, bench press, chin ups and push ups work your entire body and up your testosterone, which also helps burn calories.  Marathon cardio is tough mentally so consider doing a full body workout followed by 15 minutes of interval cardio 3 times a week, I bet you'll feel and look better than if you just keep doing cardio only.  After weights your body has gone through its sugar and is more apt to burn fat for energy.  Intervals burns more because the body doesnt know what to expect and stays in a higher burn zone. 

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Feb 27, 2014, 10:06:22 PM
I've been trying to lose weight since last November. I started around 205, but now I've been stuck in the mid 180's for about 5 weeks. I'm 6 feet tall, so I'm wondering if I should actually lose more weight or just try to convert fat to muscle at this point.

All I've done so far is eaten less and have alternated between 3-6 miles walks, and using my elliptical on highest incline and resistance for about half a mile.

It seems like everyone that has single digit body fat almost exclusively lift weights. I just want to see my abs at least once in this life   :laugh: :'(

I'm also going to have a sleep study done, as I have absolutely abysmal cardiovascular performance, showing very little improvement over time. Although I've never been obese, and I'm no longer above 25bmi, sleep apnea is rampant in my family and I've awoken gasping for air many times in a semi conscious haze.

I cannot even fathom how it's possible to run a mile. I'm not even sure I can manage a quarter mile simply jogging. It took me 17 minutes to "run"  a mile in 7th grade, which averaged out to a walking pace. I just hope I don't have permanent damage from oxygen deprivation if it turns out I really do have sleep apnea

6', 185 lbs sounds slim to me as I'm 5'8" and weigh 200, I've lifted for 2/3 of my life, wear a L shirt and have a 31" waist.  Have you ever incorporated air squats or push ups into your routine?  Simple exercises like that will strengthen your core and help you with defining abs.  To up your running, just jog for a 1/4 mile or until you get winded, walk until you catch your breath and jog again, you'll build up in no time!

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Great thread! :) i need to start hitting the gym again.

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 01, 2014, 05:14:27 AM
If your considering Navy cardio is probably the most important thing to work on but you'll need to develop your upper body and core strength as well.

Limit your reasons for getting yelled at by whatever the Navy equivalent of a drill sergeant is.

We had one female in bct who couldn't do one situp on the first pt test.  Every time a DS would walk into the room they'd drop her for situps and pushups until finally she was beast moding them for the final pt test but I'm sure she didn't appreciate all the extra attention.

No doubt, I've been working hard on cardio.  I also have to be careful to not hurt myself and ignore a pain in my knee or a stress fracture in the foot.  I need to balance my work out better.  Lessen my cardio and do more weight training: do elliptical with weight training one night, then do the treadmill and weight training the next night, instead of doing treadmill and elliptical every time I go to the gym and ignoring lifting.  I'm also working on HIIT, especially upper body.
I'm actually pretty gym stupid to be honest ^_^;;  cardio's easier to do and I can do it mindlessly, where weight lifting requires more keeping track.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

So I had McD's last night for the first time in two weeks, and that comes after a week of sticking to my diet plan and working out three times this week. It tasted like crap :P

On cardio vs. weight lifting, it's important to find a good balance between the two. Strength and cardio training is what it's literally called. It's what pro fighters do. It's what I began with when I first started training and I felt great. It won't sculpt you too much but will do wonders for your overall fitness.

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 01, 2014, 04:09:34 PM
So I had McD's last night for the first time in two weeks, and that comes after a week of sticking to my diet plan and working out three times this week. It tasted like crap :P

I know how that is, after years of dieting, there are sugary foods I can no longer eat without getting sick.  I hate going out with friends and they're getting milk shakes and soda, and all I get is a cup of coffee or ice tea.  Not that that's a bad thing, a milk shake is like 800-1000 calories a serving... so I'm not missing anything.
Yeah, my problem is I'm putting too much emphasis on cardio, not enough to weight training.  I'll go on the treadmill for 20 minutes, do some weight lifting, then 30-60 minutes on the elliptical (some of the machines allow 60 min) and then go home.  I know that's not good and is unbalanced.  I've been going online to look for some good HIIT workouts that'll give me a variety for lifting.
Just out of curiosity, what are some good workout that'll help towards getting better at situps and pushups?  I'm already doing those (well, angled pushups), I'm just curious as to what else would help.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Military is more muscular endurance than anything else.

If you are considering it an option (you'll usually have like three or four months before your ship date after swearing in) look at the PT standards for both your gender and age (but be careful because they are about to start using some gender neutral standards) and try to hit them before you go to bed or something.

You want to do everything possible not to draw the ire of your DS whilst there because everybody else is going to get you dropped for "corrective training," enough already.

Weight training won't hurt you, but its about how many repetitions you can do with your body more than overall strength levels. 

Pushups/situps/pullups/flutter kicks/air squats/burpees/8 count pushups (my personal non favorites)/power jump etc.

Also study some facing movements (left face, right face, about face, etc) to be ahead of the game.

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 01, 2014, 05:25:03 PM
Military is more muscular endurance than anything else.

If you are considering it an option (you'll usually have like three or four months before your ship date after swearing in) look at the PT standards for both your gender and age (but be careful because they are about to start using some gender neutral standards) and try to hit them before you go to bed or something.

You want to do everything possible not to draw the ire of your DS whilst there because everybody else is going to get you dropped for "corrective training," enough already.

Weight training won't hurt you, but its about how many repetitions you can do with your body more than overall strength levels. 

Pushups/situps/pullups/flutter kicks/air squats/burpees/8 count pushups (my personal non favorites)/power jump etc.

Also study some facing movements (left face, right face, about face, etc) to be ahead of the game.

thank you

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed