Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 91,568 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 29, 2014, 11:40:33 PM
They're simply a different tribe, one even more menacing, but they are still predators.

Being of a different tribe doesn't mean that they are the same species either. If you're going to compare tribes and explain why they look physically different, then you might as well compare say member of the Sioux tribe with a member of the Apache. Physically speaking, they'd be the same and almost indistinguishable but culturally.. the differences are vast. So the whole different tribe explanation is not accurate to an extent. They're a different species. I mean we've been shown different clans/tribes in the movies before, and they looked almost similar to each other generally speaking.

Comparing two different humans to two different Predators is not really a fair comparison. You're better off comparing different species of canine than humans.. Or if you want to compare humans, compare modern man to homo neanderthalensis, you'd get a better comparison.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 30, 2014, 12:09:46 AMBeing of a different tribe doesn't mean that they are the same species either. They're a different species. I mean we've been shown different clans/tribes in the movies before, and they looked almost similar to each other generally speaking.
Nope. Same species, different race, that's how I see it.

Or perhaps not even a different race, you know, for example the orangutans, they get those protruding ear flaps only when they become the Alpha Male, same for the lions, the movie says after a Predator accomplishes certain rites de passage, it comes back "different", it might be the same case, their bodies become modified by the action of hormones or something like that.

We really don't know, the different aspect of the "Super Predators" might be too some kind of scarification, straight genetic manipulation or something like that. But they're still pretty much the same creature, only with an enhanced physique or perhaps a little variation.

Russ

Quote from: SiL on Jun 29, 2014, 10:32:12 PM

You've never heard of hyperbole ... ?

Spoiler
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 30, 2014, 12:11:31 AMNope. Same species, different race, that's how I see it.
Stan Winston said it best when he likened them to snakes. All snakes are snakes, but some are different.

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Jun 29, 2014, 12:29:20 PM
Quote from: Russ on Jun 29, 2014, 11:53:31 AM
I'm not convinced that fans and critics were the only people that went to see the movie.
Casual cinemagoers vaguely aware of the series were also disappointed by the gore.

You can't argue it's a well-loved, well-received movie when it clearly wasn't and a major hangup people had was the lack of gore. There's a reason every filmmaker after made a point of saying they wouldn't be doing that -- they know they'd alienate their audience if they did.

The added gore in AvP:R was nice, but it didn't help the overall film. I'm not saying that diminishes your argument, but rather, it's one thing the sequel did better.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 30, 2014, 11:05:18 AMThe added gore in AvP:R was nice, but it didn't help the overall film. I'm not saying that diminishes your argument, but rather, it's one thing the sequel did better.
It isn't just about the gore though, it's the overall tone.

Even if you removed the blood and gore from Alien, it would still be an extremely hard, intense movie. Similarly, if you threw bucketloads of blood and guts into the first AVP, it wouldn't automatically become a thrilling, edge-of-your-seat film, it would still be a shitty emotionless drama - just with extra blood splashing around.

Requiem showed this better than anything. After the first film, they tried so hard to make the sequel more brutal, and they did it by simply throwing in a ridiculous level of gore. But there's so much more to making a film intense than just splashes of claret, and at the end of the day the movie was still a dull, uninvolving teen drama, it just happened to have gross levels gore. There was no tension whatsoever.

DoomRulz

Yes, of course. The film still had a buttload of problems but it was still nice to see some blood considering the first film was so tame.

Master

I think first AvP with all of its problems still makes more efective film, which is interesting and gives us something new to watch. None of new in universe film since 2004 gave us better. AvP-r was plain bad, Predators are repetitive and Prometheus was a mess (beautiful mess).

Spoonman101

Predators was better than AvP...
The cowriters for AVPR was planetavp  :laugh:

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I'd rank Predators over AVP by a long way. Predators at least entertained me, even with all its faults. AVP was just plain crap, and needlessly messed with the continuity to boot.

Spoonman101

The reason why Weyland Effects exist today  >:(

Master

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 30, 2014, 12:41:28 PM
Yeah, I'd rank Predators over AVP by a long way. Predators at least entertained me, even with all its faults. AVP was just plain crap, and needlessly messed with the continuity to boot.

Ot each his own I guess. Predators gave us what? Dogs, one cool sky shoot and (not so) super predators. AvP gave us whole new environment, both Bovotoya and Piramid, preds hunting creatures different then humans and beautiful predburster. On quality those films are equal but when it comes to rewatch value I`d pick AvP. 

Magegg

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed