Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel

Started by ikarop, Aug 01, 2012, 04:01:38 PM

Author
Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel (Read 89,276 times)

PsyKore

PsyKore

The point I'm making is the style of the design. Directors can't control that. Think if Stan Winston had designed the A:RES aliens; they'd probably be very different from ADI's style. They both may adhere to the directors requests but you're still gonna end up with different looks depending on who's designing. This is why I think if ADI did the Deacon, it'd be not as good.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: PsyKore on Aug 03, 2012, 12:07:39 PM
The point I'm making is the style of the design. Directors can't control that.
They can and do -- hence the example above.

This is why I think if ADI did the Deacon, it'd be not as good.
No way to tell.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 03, 2012, 12:18:30 PM
The point I'm making is the style of the design. Directors can't control that.
They can and do -- hence the example above.

Think if Stan Winston had designed the A:RES aliens; they'd probably be very different from ADI's style. They both may adhere to the directors requests but you're still gonna end up with different looks depending on who's designing.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yes they would. Don't see how it has anything to do with 'ADI can't design something like the Deacon' or 'it's ADI's fault for [supposedly] turning the Alien into a generic monster'.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 03, 2012, 12:31:16 PM
Yes they would. Don't see how it has anything to do with 'ADI can't design something like the Deacon' or 'it's ADI's fault for [supposedly] turning the Alien into a generic monster'.

Because some design teams design better than others, like any art form. ADI have shown pretty horrid design work throughout their time.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 03, 2012, 12:31:16 PM

Your not getting what he's saying. They do take instructions but a perfect example would be the Predator. KNB couldn't even copy stan winston's version in Predators, it still looked off.

The designers use specific techniques and textures to create. It's like asking two people to draw a portrait. They will be very similar but one could well be better than the other.

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 03, 2012, 08:21:01 AM
Quote from: chrisr232007 on Aug 03, 2012, 04:33:15 AM
According to Boxoffice Mojo Prometheus is the highest grossing movie for Fox this year, so far.  Which I am not surprize they want a second one to happen but I dout it will get a budget on par with the first.

Domestic, in total Ice Age made double and a bit more.
Anyway, that is actually really bad for FOX.

you are comparing a r rated horror sci-fi that only gets a 18+ audience and not to many females, to a familly movie where the audience is comprised of kids, parents,teens,young adults amd older folks.
i'm thinking if they make a sequel, they will either make it with the same budget as this one but with a hard r rating this time, or a pg13 movie but with bigger budget to atract the massive teen population and make more money this time

acrediblesource

Another huge Fox project is Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, which if it's story timelines indicate, it will be another  philosophically shocking movie. So it may be an Apes, Avatar and Aliens summer.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 03, 2012, 08:21:01 AM
Quote from: chrisr232007 on Aug 03, 2012, 04:33:15 AM
According to Boxoffice Mojo Prometheus is the highest grossing movie for Fox this year, so far.  Which I am not surprize they want a second one to happen but I dout it will get a budget on par with the first.

Domestic, in total Ice Age made double and a bit more.
Anyway, that is actually really bad for FOX.

Why do people keep on saying that given that the movie made over 300 million worldwide? People forget that R rated films don't make that much money unless they have a lot of hype behind them (300) or they are sequels (Matrix's 2 and 3).

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 03, 2012, 12:02:37 PM
It certainly has not. Its potential has just not been used to its full extent since and including the third film -- and before anyone jumps on me, I love/like all the films with the exception of the second AvP film --. I'm surprised Scott didn't realize that.
What's being referred to is that the creature just isn't scary anymore. It's been so over-played and put out in the open that nobody finds it frightening or its presence to feel 'alien' anymore. Well, aside from the first movie, and to it's best, in Aliens and Alien3 (luckily the movie didn't focus on the creature as much). Anything beyond that has attempted to add new layers just exploited what had already been established, and could hardly be taken seriously. The Deacon had/has that very problem.

The creature has effectively gone from terrifying to "Oh".

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The Deacon is the result of very specific directions given by Ridley Scott. No one can say he could not have given ADI the same directions or that they could have not come up with something like it.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Aug 03, 2012, 07:20:48 PM
Well, aside from the first movie, and to it's best, in Aliens and Alien3
Do not get me wrong, as I love Alien3, but it arguably was the start of the 'unscary' Alien. Aside from the brilliant design, the Runner wasn't used as well, and didn't have the same presence or menace as the Aliens from the first two films.

That'd be because there has not been a 'terrifying' Alien film after the second one, as no one managed yet to replicate, or even come close to (which is undoubtely not impossible) the wonder of Alien and Aliens.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 03, 2012, 07:43:15 PM
Well, aside from the first movie, and to it's best, in Aliens and Alien3
Do not get me wrong, as I love Alien3, but it arguably was the start of the 'unscary' Alien. Aside from the brilliant design, the Runner wasn't used as well, and didn't have the same presence or menace as the Aliens from the first two films.
I think we could both agree there, but that would be because it had two options: follow the similar behaviors and presentation of the previous aliens and lose most of the effect or deviate and lose the effect altogether. Each movie has moved farther and farther away from scary, and that's because the creature only has so much steam in it. The first movie was clearly meant to be a horror film, but a large part of that was with the stunningly horrific alien qualities of the creature and it's dark sexual undertones. Now it's "been there done that", and during re-watches the fear comes from that creature originality and the masterful filmmaking that went with it.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 03, 2012, 07:43:15 PM
That'd be because there has not been a 'terrifying' Alien film after the second one, as no one managed yet to replicate, or even come close to (which is undoubtely not impossible) the wonder of Alien and Aliens.
And the point is that it can't be replicated because that level of fear that came from the creature was a one time thing, and worked seeing the creature in a different light in Aliens. No matter how you capture the alien now, we'd have already seen it. All the jump scares and all the dark lighting in the world wouldn't do it again. It's time to move on, and that's the point. For the same creature, it's undoubtedly impossible.

Unless you're a fan of repetition, it's time to move on and contribute to the universe instead of rehash. One of the best things about Prometheus was that there was no xenomorph presence to affect the story, and therefore made it feel like something new.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Aug 03, 2012, 08:04:39 PM
Each movie has moved farther and farther away from scary, and that's because the creature only has so much steam in it.
No, that's due to a combination of factors which includes the misuse of the creature -- not the fact it does not have potential anymore.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Aug 03, 2012, 08:04:39 PM
For the same creature, it's undoubtedly impossible.
Unlikely, yes, because coming close to that level is pretty difficult.
Impossible? That's a pretty absolute.

I am not saying anything against bringing new dishes to the table; I am the first to welcome the expansion of a universe, as long as I like what's being offered. I like the Deacon and a film revolving around it would be interesting.

The Alien still has its charisma and cosmic terror embedded into it, though. It just needs the right talents.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

This is what I get for coming to the Prometheus section.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Differing opinions are boggling indeed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed