Ridley Scott Says The Alien FX Series Will Be 8-10 Hours Long

Started by seattle24, Nov 22, 2021, 09:57:55 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Says The Alien FX Series Will Be 8-10 Hours Long (Read 26,787 times)

SiL

It was also always about the Alien. Cameron may have repurposed another script, but he didn't throw in a completely separate alien entity and sideline the main creature.

BlueMarsalis79

Alien Resurrection, Prometheus and Alien Covenant all did, but I do not think Noah Hawley will.

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2022, 07:44:19 PMIt was also always about the Alien. Cameron may have repurposed another script, but he didn't throw in a completely separate alien entity and sideline the main creature.

He kinda did with Alien Queen

BlueMarsalis79

Fair point, he changed the fundamental nature of the beast, and the genre entirely.

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 27, 2022, 08:40:21 PM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2022, 07:44:19 PMIt was also always about the Alien. Cameron may have repurposed another script, but he didn't throw in a completely separate alien entity and sideline the main creature.

He kinda did with Alien Queen
He made the Queen part of the Alien lifecycle, he did not make a separate alien species the focus.

The Newborn, likewise, is not a new species. It's a mutated Alien and stems from the story's focus on the relationship between Ripley and the Alien.

The prequels if anything prove my point.

BlueMarsalis79

The Newborn's a new creature entirely, we do not deal with real Aliens, or real Ripley in that film at all.

Proves your point that half the franchise has focused on other things?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 27, 2022, 05:24:36 PMIt's a bit strange to me, as I have always felt this was Alien's strength as a franchise in the first place, it adapts to the host author.

It was always a changing thing from the very beginning.

But at their core, they're all (barring Prometheus and possibly Covenant) about big slimy f**kers ganking people, with anything else ultimately being window dressing.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 27, 2022, 08:54:08 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 27, 2022, 05:24:36 PMIt's a bit strange to me, as I have always felt this was Alien's strength as a franchise in the first place, it adapts to the host author.

It was always a changing thing from the very beginning.

But at their core, they're all (barring Prometheus and possibly Covenant) about big slimy f**kers ganking people, with anything else ultimately being window dressing.
Exactly this.

Prometheus dropped Alien from the title because of the lack of Aliens, and it was the right thing to do. Covenant probably should've followed suit.

The whole plot of AR is the military trying to get Aliens. Even if you want to do mental gymnastics to say they're not "real" Aliens, the Aliens are driving the bus.

Social commentary and existentialism elevate what are otherwise unpretentious stories about face raping space monsters eating people's brains, and the revisionist history that this was ever not the case is getting increasingly annoying.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

They certainly involve that, and so will Noah Hawley's Alien, but they have all been about different things.

"The Alien stories are always trapped," Hawley told Vanity Fair. "Trapped in a prison, trapped in a spaceship. I thought it would be interesting to open it up a little bit so that the stakes of 'What happens if you can't contain it?' are more immediate."

SiL

All about different things in ways that are driven by interactions with the Alien.

Until Hawley actually starts talking about how the Aliens actually play into his Peter Pan allegory I have no interest.

BlueMarsalis79

"Even if the show was 60% of the best horror action on the planet, there's still 40% where we have to ask, 'What are we talking about it, beneath it all?' Thematically, it has to be interesting. It's humbling to get to play with the iconography of this world."

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 27, 2022, 09:11:18 PM"Even if the show was 60% of the best horror action on the planet, there's still 40% where we have to ask, 'What are we talking about it, beneath it all?' Thematically, it has to be interesting. It's humbling to get to play with the iconography of this world."

He's going to have to get more done on it and show us some receipts before I trust him.

SiL

I hope for the best but the state of modern shows being increasingly self indulgent wank spread out over too many hours is making it hard.

[cancerblack]

Huntsman

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 27, 2022, 09:04:08 PMThey certainly involve that, and so will Noah Hawley's Alien, but they have all been about different things.

"The Alien stories are always trapped," Hawley told Vanity Fair. "Trapped in a prison, trapped in a spaceship. I thought it would be interesting to open it up a little bit so that the stakes of 'What happens if you can't contain it?' are more immediate."
In theory I like the concept. Wary of the execution.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed