Which is the best ALIEN 3: Original, directors cut, or unshot monk script?

Started by Originalsin, Jun 06, 2007, 08:13:33 PM

Author
Which is the best ALIEN 3: Original, directors cut, or unshot monk script? (Read 3,611 times)

Originalsin

I honestly think that FOX tottaly bent David Fincher over when they released the original ALIEN 3. The Directors cut is the way it should have been released. In my opinion, ALIEN 3 :the directors cut is by far the best ALien movie story, image and alien style wise.

War Wager

I agree. I like the Directors Cut alot more...

Keyes

Quote from: War Wager on Jun 06, 2007, 08:21:46 PM

Well, it's not actually a "Director's Cut" because Fincher had walked by then and what was construced was an "Assembley Cut".... but I'd love to see a proper Director's Cut by Fincher that included re-done CGI alien scenes instead of some of those dogey alien-on-a-stick FX.

SM

Something in between the Workprint and the Theatrical cut would be best.  Include some of the Golic stuff, etc. but ditch other slower stuff.  I'd love to see Ward's monks but it'd need a bit more explaining.

Alienseseses

Quote from: DazAvP01 on Jun 06, 2007, 09:31:34 PM
Quote from: War Wager on Jun 06, 2007, 08:21:46 PM

Well, it's not actually a "Director's Cut" because Fincher had walked by then and what was construced was an "Assembley Cut".... but I'd love to see a proper Director's Cut by Fincher that included re-done CGI alien scenes instead of some of those dogey alien-on-a-stick FX.

You believe in me too! I made a whole topic about the alien corndog on a stick!

xeno_alpha_07

I've re-read the Vincent Ward script and i still don't like it.  I'm glad it wasn't filmed.  If memory served me correct (thats funny) wasn't Vincent Ward being screwd by fox at some point going behind his back etc?

SM

His line producer was reporting everything back to Fox behind his back.

xeno_alpha_07

I see...cheers...Seems to me even if Vincent Ward DID make his verson of Alien 3 he would of been screwed himself.  And prob would of had a mess of his verson to. 

SM

I don't think so somehow.  He seemed to know exactly what he wanted and what he was doing - for good or ill.  The producers however didn't, and this was passed onto Fincher.

xeno_alpha_07

He seemed to know exactly what he wanted and what he was doing...

Well thats true, never thought of that really.  Still theres elements of Wards script which i thought was a bit far fetched.  For example the whole wooden planet for starters, first read that and thought what the hell??? Another element that i wasn't keen on was the whole Alien blending in with it's surroundings  :( sorry thats spoilt it for me.  And the way on of the monks makes Ripleys embryo leave her and enter him.  To much like the exorciost for me.

SM

Well that exorcism bit wouldn't have been in it.  Ripley would've walked into the flames which would've been a brilliant ending.

The wooden planet would've been the main sticking point.  A lot of the other stuff you could get around.  I've often thought how you'd get around the wooden planet - like what if the monks purpose built it themselves generations before the film took place?  Then you'd have to work out why?  Why does it have this inbuilt obsolescence?  If they were exiled to it - why didn't they just dump on some terraformed planet?

If they coulda found a solid backstory for Arceon - it could've worked.

SiL

It's explained in the script. How they're stuck on a planet which will, ultimately, eat itself apart until there's nothing left, they'll all die, problem solved.

SM

I didn't find any adequate explanation in the script.  It never fully explained where it came from in the first place.  Building something like that wouldn't have been cheap or easy.  And since the concept of money is quite prevalent in the two previous films, it'd come into question again here.

xeno_alpha_07

Well...in my opinion even if they did come up with an explanation for the wooden planet i'm still not convinced it would of been a good movie  :( I suppose after looking at the original Alien concepts that sealed it for me. 

Corporal Hicks

Ward's script was just plain stupid. One of the most painful reading experiences I have ever had! Sure, there were some good ideas and some that even made it into the final product but still....Wooden planet? Sheep Alien? No thanks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed