The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 466,187 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

While the story doesn't deviate like The Walking Dead does from the comics in the show (for the most part) the books have so much more happening than the show.  Dozens of characters have been left out of the series so far.  One of the best things about the second book left out in the show
Spoiler
was Balon Swann fighting with Tyrion at the battle of blackwater
[close]
.  For everything the show adds (the Eddard vs Jaime fight in season 1) they leave out three things.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Welcome to the world of novel adaptations.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'm fairly certain I've dealt in the world of novel adaptations longer than many forum members on these boards have been alive.  I'm just saying that your missing lots of the world Martin built if you limit yourself to the show.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 05, 2012, 03:09:00 PM
I'm fairly certain I've dealt in the world of novel adaptations longer than many forum members on these boards have been alive.  I'm just saying that your missing lots of the world Martin built if you limit yourself to the show.
Most definitely. The whole Rhaeger and Lyanna and Tower of Joy etc thing is only mentioned in the first episode, I think. The books do so much.

Shasvre

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Shasvre on Dec 15, 2012, 06:12:59 PM

I thought that was a dinner plate at first glance. Damn...  :o

Shasvre

Shasvre

Each episode in Season 3 will be a bit longer.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=71477

Quote"There's almost another full episode's worth of extra minutes spread across the season," says Dan Weiss. "One of the great liberties with HBO is we're not forced to come in at a specific time. We can't be under 50 minutes or over 60, but that gives us a lot of flexibility." David Benioff adds, "A super-sized season, as befitting Storm of Swords. Last year we had a lot of 52-minute episodes. This year is a lot of 56, 57. So for people clamoring for another episode, it's in there, It's just been cut into tiny pieces."

Valaquen

ace3g

ace3g

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Michelle MacLaren?

...YES. Best director of television currently out there; f**k yes.

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

Quote from: Shasvre on Dec 18, 2012, 06:24:27 PM
Each episode in Season 3 will be a bit longer.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=71477

Quote"There's almost another full episode's worth of extra minutes spread across the season," says Dan Weiss. "One of the great liberties with HBO is we're not forced to come in at a specific time. We can't be under 50 minutes or over 60, but that gives us a lot of flexibility." David Benioff adds, "A super-sized season, as befitting Storm of Swords. Last year we had a lot of 52-minute episodes. This year is a lot of 56, 57. So for people clamoring for another episode, it's in there, It's just been cut into tiny pieces."
Not as good as it's sounds, One of scenes in every episodes is good but I think they won't add any sublots or make room for more characters but just expand slightly on the plots/characters they are using.

I have completley forgot, which books are two seasons again? I am half way threw re-reading storm of swords at the moment but I might wait untill after this season (if it's half the book) to read the rest

Valaquen

Valaquen

It also broke a few days ago that the actor who plays Ilyn Payne has terminal cancer.

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

Oh shit really???

Watching british tv f**ks with your mind as you see the cast of game of thrones in everything, I saw the guy that plays ilyn payne the other day, I think he spoke? Awfull business, very sad

Eva

Eva

I think this coming season is only based on the first half half of book 3. Don't like this arrangement one bit, but I guess it comes down to economics. :-\

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

(I don't know how much you've read) but there is a natural cut off point in book 3 that even though isn't half way exactly could be moved. Also after 2,- 3, 4 and 5 all take place very close with very little time between each (2 of them aren't even split by time but location, which I hated), the story spreads even further apart not just in location but in the characters objectives that it becomes sensible to do it this way, (also explains why one of the series in the future is adapting to books.

It is great I think anyway as there is so many characters that are underdeveloped that it could really help. I don't think they will have many more charaecters than they would have if they were just doing 1 series but I am still glad, series 2 really grinded my gears with the pacing and such and just cutting to stuff that isn'tt relevant untill further episodes. Also this is 100% taste related but it depends about what you liked from the book as to whether you liked the adaption of book 2 as it really made choices early on that they just lost entire sup plots and characters and for some fans that was what they were looking forward to the most, I think that will help that enormously

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed