The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 466,213 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: nanison on Jun 18, 2022, 08:25:55 PMOverall I didn't like the supernatural elements, once the zombies and dragons showed up the shkw lost the intrigue.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. When I realised it was just about politics and relationships with minimal magic and monsters (ie; when a book fan explained that to me before the show even aired) is when I stopped giving a f**k. Fantasy as a genre should be a bunch of scenes that look like 80's heavy metal album covers, and with GoT when those finally start happening it had apparently already taken a serious dive in the writing department, so I dodged a six year long bullet by skipping it.

BlueMarsalis79

Shit opinion but fair enough lol

Local Trouble

I thought it was only Legion that he wouldn't watch.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 18, 2022, 09:08:39 PMShit opinion but fair enough lol

Says the girl who loves LotR which is exactly what I described; near-constant monsters, magic, sprawling visuals and iconic setpieces.  :P

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 18, 2022, 09:10:00 PMI thought it was only Legion that he wouldn't watch.

Most TV and Film is utter garbage. And rarely the fun kind of garbage.

Local Trouble

Isn't Warhammer Fantasy even more so up your alley?

[cancerblack]

Yes, it is. Because it's very literally a bunch of 80's heavy metal nonsense strung together with stolen Tolkein and Moorcock stuff - a kitchen-sink mishmash of things I already like with the unique part being it's grotesque and grubby charm.

BlueMarsalis79

Ingwar

Ingwar

So HBO cancelled one of the best modern sci-fi series Raised by Wolves but they're gonna make spin-off which has nothing to do with the books (still waiting for the last two) of ruined GoT series? Nice one.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 18, 2022, 09:14:41 PMIsn't Warhammer Fantasy even more so up your alley?

Warhammer is B-class Tolkien on steroids :)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 18, 2022, 10:07:17 PMWarhammer is B-class Tolkien on steroids :)

That's why it's still somehow better than most of the trash that gets made.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 18, 2022, 10:07:17 PMSo HBO cancelled one of the best modern sci-fi series Raised by Wolves but they're gonna make spin-off which has nothing to do with the books (still waiting for the last two) of ruined GoT series? Nice one.

I totally completely agree.

I mean what even does a Jon Snow spin-off even mean?

Isn't that just Game of Thrones?

How do you even fix it apart from just getting rid of Season 7 and Season 8 entirely?

Do you use f**king time travel?  :laugh:

Wait... hold on a minute.

:o

Ingwar

They're gonna do to GoT exactly the same what they're doing to Harry Potter and LotR right now. They're gonna f**king milk it big time. At the end of the day it's just a business.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 18, 2022, 09:06:32 PM
Quote from: nanison on Jun 18, 2022, 08:25:55 PMOverall I didn't like the supernatural elements, once the zombies and dragons showed up the shkw lost the intrigue.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. When I realised it was just about politics and relationships with minimal magic and monsters (ie; when a book fan explained that to me before the show even aired) is when I stopped giving a f**k. Fantasy as a genre should be a bunch of scenes that look like 80's heavy metal album covers, and with GoT when those finally start happening it had apparently already taken a serious dive in the writing department, so I dodged a six year long bullet by skipping it.

I first read the books back in the late 90's. George had only written the first two novels by then. I was quite impressed by the books but also confussed as to why nobody was talking about them, lol.

What I liked about the books, was that it wasn't the usual, ubiquitous high-fantasy Tolkien rippoff. It was history (War of the Roses) with the serial numbers filed off and dailed up to ten.

nanison

nanison

Fantasy as a genre should be a bunch of scenes that look like 80's heavy metal album cover.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I have not once seen a movie doing justice to those awesome vhs or heavy metal artworks.
The film Mandy had its moments looking like it but it isn't a sword and sorcery flick.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed