"Enter Vent" and "Transition" as an Alien

Started by VEF214, Jan 21, 2010, 02:04:18 PM

Author
"Enter Vent" and "Transition" as an Alien (Read 16,341 times)

VEF214

VEF214

Press A to Enter Vent and press RT to Transition.

I find the "Press A to Enter Vent" part deeply disturbing.

Hopefully this is just an option that can be enabled or disabled in campaign. I don't want marines lining up perfect shots every time I go for a vent in multiplayer. I want the motion to be fast and fluid, but not fluid and predictable. Let me try to explain that better.

If you've seen the Alien gameplay (PM GrimyGhost for it :P), #6 goes up to a vent and cannot pass through it without pressing A. The Alien lines up for a brief second and then promptly pounces through while making a sound. The whole motion takes about a second. Now, this could be a good feature for newer players who are unsteady with the Alien's controls and movement. The bad side is that it's extremely predictable and if the entering motion is the same every time then the Alien will be shot dead every time it goes for a vent. It also seems to slow down gameplay, you have to aim at it and then press a button, why can't we just simply crawl into it ourselves while sprinting on the ceiling? I don't know. You decide if this is a good or bad thing. My opinion is it's bad.

Transitioning, I'm okay with it. As I see it, you aim at a surface and then press RT to jump to it and, well, transition to it. Doesn't seem bad from going to floor to ceiling, but going from the floor, to the side of the wall, to the ceiling, to the side of the wall, to the floor again? Pressing RT four times just to do that? I would much rather free crawl.

I think there should be a button you press that enables free crawl, you would simply toggle it on and off. If on, the Alien will scale any surface it comes to. If off, the Alien will remain on the current plane.

Another point I'd like to bring up, could these features be console only? Obviously it's being played on a 360 because of A and RT. Will PC players have a different system?

Anyway, just thought I would bring this up since it seems to be a big gameplay mechanic for the Alien.

safetyman

I think the walljumps /transitioning is fine, because it's something you could benefit greatly from using in AvP2, yet it was so hard to pull off because wallwalking was disorienting to begin with.

The ventilation enter/exits are just idiotic. Someone in this forum already put it well, he said something along the lines of 1 button to enter/exit a vent leaves you in a mini cutscene with no control over what happens. You could be getting shot by a marine or predator because they saw you before you came out of the vent, and you wouldn't be able to stop it, because you're stuck in a cutscene, as opposed to simply backing up into it again.

Brother

Already discussing this in other threads.

Xeno dude

Xeno dude

Can u link that? Cuz i havent seen any discussion of that sort

Revenant

I'm sure we will have both ways of entering . .. .

Tomar

Quote from: Revenant on Jan 21, 2010, 02:38:31 PM
I'm sure the pc will have both ways of entering . .. .

I fixed it for you ;).

Revenant

EC jay

EC jay

I completely agree with OP
my favorite species is the alien, and I'd really hate it if there would be no freecrawl
and wtf is up with the invisible wall blocking you from going into a vent directly?  ::)
I'm sure it's nice for inexperienced players, but I'm pretty sure players who are already used to playing as alien (such as myself and many other alien players from avpgold/avp 2) will find the lack of freedom annoying
not to mention fkin deadly

imagine this situation:
you're playing as an alien, running through a vent, nearing the exit
just as you start going through the exit, you see a marine approaching, now, at this point you're stuck in the animation of exiting the vent, obviously head first
during this time there's absolutely nothing you can do
while you're stuck in the animation you're already getting shot at and you decide the only way to survive is by going back into the vent

the only way to do this is to turn 180 degrees to get the 'press x to use vent' button to pop up, then sit through another animation where there's nothing you can do, all while getting shot in the ass

how is this better than freewalking out of the vent, noticing the marine and backpedalling?

I would be surprised if the guys at rebellion didn't think of this, and I hope they came up with a better solution than to scratch vents from multiplayer maps (as we haven't seen any in multiplayer maps yet iirc)

Giger_Incubator

I don't see how this will be any different than other games that do something similar.  You just get used to hitting the button pretty fast and it makes no difference.

I would think with a character this fast you'll be able to do cooler things that you couldn't before.  Like running along a wall at top speed and knowing a vent is up ahead you can just tap A at the right time and do a crazy fast 90 degree turn.  You would have to slow down to do that in a normal game, not considering the very large  chance to get stuck on a corner or something if its a small opening.

EC jay

never had any problems with that in the previous game
the point is now you have to push button for something that can easily be done without manually
although I can imagine it being harder with a controller when moving that fast (no, not trying to start something here) it's perfectly doable with mouse and keyboard
they said in a recent vid the current technology allowed them to do stuff they only dreamt about with avp 1
if anything they should have used the current technology to make the going into vents smoother, rather than limiting your movement and making you press extra buttons

Private W Hudson

Quote from: EC jay on Jan 21, 2010, 03:08:49 PM
I completely agree with OP
my favorite species is the alien, and I'd really hate it if there would be no freecrawl
and wtf is up with the invisible wall blocking you from going into a vent directly?  ::)
I'm sure it's nice for inexperienced players, but I'm pretty sure players who are already used to playing as alien (such as myself and many other alien players from avpgold/avp 2) will find the lack of freedom annoying
not to mention fkin deadly

imagine this situation:
you're playing as an alien, running through a vent, nearing the exit
just as you start going through the exit, you see a marine approaching, now, at this point you're stuck in the animation of exiting the vent, obviously head first
during this time there's absolutely nothing you can do
while you're stuck in the animation you're already getting shot at and you decide the only way to survive is by going back into the vent

the only way to do this is to turn 180 degrees to get the 'press x to use vent' button to pop up, then sit through another animation where there's nothing you can do, all while getting shot in the ass

how is this better than freewalking out of the vent, noticing the marine and backpedalling?

I would be surprised if the guys at rebellion didn't think of this, and I hope they came up with a better solution than to scratch vents from multiplayer maps (as we haven't seen any in multiplayer maps yet iirc)

Amen brother... amen... i feel your pain.

Giger_Incubator

Anyone think maybe they have a reason for doing all these things, and they're not just trying to piss you off?

And the reason is not to make it more console friendly, plenty of games play fine on the console without transition buttons and such.

Private W Hudson

Private W Hudson

Quote from: Giger_Incubator on Jan 21, 2010, 03:45:13 PM
Anyone think maybe they have a reason for doing all these things, and they're not just trying to piss you off?

And the reason is not to make it more console friendly, plenty of games play fine on the console without transition buttons and such.

Are you 12?, i mean seriously were on about how it will effect the PC gamers it will be so annoying i hope there is a option to change that damn thing. I like the AVP1, AVP2, Classic ways thank you very much. Ofcourse it's console friendly and if it's included in the PC release then we know it's been ported copy and paste ftw?

To giger

Replace the word charlie with "giger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M3VjzoBnnc&feature=related

skull-splitter

Welcome to the era of mainstream...

Huol

I hate it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed