New candidate?

Started by Ja, Jun 16, 2009, 05:26:41 PM

Author
New candidate? (Read 3,872 times)

Ja

Ja

Maybe just a rumor, but...

Last week it was reported that Doomsday director Neil Marshall was in talks with Troublemaker Studios to direct Predators, the much ballyhooed sequel to the 80s Predator franchise. Well, it appears that Marshall may not be the only Brit in talks for project as Michael Bassett, director of the yet released (but so far extremely well received) Solomon Kane, has been hinting at his own meetings on a project that sounds awfully similar. Here's what Bassett's been saying on his site:

I'm going to be in LA for Monday through Thursday next week to meet with a producer about a project I'd love to be involved with. I think I'd do an awesome job – sci-fi, action, aliens and violence – everything I became a director to do.

and then...

"I pitched my little heart out for it. I met with the producer... and spent a pleasurable few hours chatting about his work and achievements as well as this project. He's a director as well and it was really interesting listening to some of his war-stories. He's not much older than I am but has been far more productive in his time and I was pretty blown away by that sheer heads-down determination and work ethic he's got."

"Though he'd seen Solomon Kane and really liked it, the film of mine that he dug most was WILDERNESS. He responded to the strong performances of the young cast and sheer ferocity of the kills which I think plays to elements of this project.

Not much, but there are a couple of clues here. First, the fact that the producer/director responded well to an indie thriller like Wilderness says a lot about his own sensibilities. Rodriguez certainly fits that profile. Also, how many large profile films that fit the "sci-fi, action, aliens and violence" profile are out there and director-less right now? Predators certainly seems to fit the bill here. And lastly, Bassett has tweeted in the past that he respects Neil Marshall. He comments that "I think I know who's most likely to get the job out of the other names I've heard and if I'm right, then we'll all get a great movie;" which makes me think that the two are in line for the same project.

http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2009/06/16/Is-Solomon-Kane-director-Michael-J-Bassett-in-line-for-PREDATORS

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Thanks for the news, but I still want Neil Marshall to direct it. It's gotta be him, I pray he gets the job.

But it's also good news that there seems to be a lot of talented directors out there that are fighting over Predator 3 lol, thats awesome ;D

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

Ugh i want to see Solomon Kane so so bad, still gotta agree with PHANTOM though, Neil just seems too perfect for the project in eyes.

Darkness

Darkness

If you look on his blog, he also mentions Bill Duke (AKA Mac from Predator) was sitting a few seats away from him. Presumably, Bill Duke is a contender for the director's chair too?

http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/

War Wager

War Wager

Thats cool, he wants to do an Alien movie too.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 16, 2009, 06:07:14 PM
If you look on his blog, he also mentions Bill Duke (AKA Mac from Predator) was sitting a few seats away from him. Presumably, Bill Duke is a contender for the director's chair too?

http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/

Bill Duke directs?

Still more keen on Marshall, but I'm going to check out what this guy's done.

Darkness

Darkness

Yeah, I didn't realise he directs either but he's got a lot of director credits on his IMDB profile.

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 16, 2009, 06:29:15 PM
Yeah, I didn't realise he directs either but he's got a lot of director credits on his IMDB profile.

I did the same, while i'm sure he's incredibly talented i'm just not convinced he'd be up to it.  I just dont see the same styles in his directing.

Hybrid PM

Hybrid PM

It looks like Fox is actually taking this seriously.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Michael Bassett isn't a bad choice either, I've seen some of his work, pretty low budget stuff but he does show potential as a director. So far he has three decent films, far from bad, hes got the experience.

I'm sure his new film Kane will be really hardcore like his past work, just bigger budget this time. Not bad.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jun 16, 2009, 08:01:14 PM
Michael Bassett isn't a bad choice either, I've seen some of his work, pretty low budget stuff but he does show potential as a director. So far he has three decent films, far from bad, hes got the experience.

I'm sure his new film Kane will be really hardcore like his past work, just bigger budget this time. Not bad.

Through AICN (and Harry can be harsh), its been said Kane is meant to be amazing. If so, and I was taken by the review, I would also be really excited to see this guy direct the film. If the list is full of directors like this, then I have high hopes for the film.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Its nice to see Rodriguez really cares for this and auditions directors that seem very ambitious. I'm still traumatized by his horrible script though, but my hopes are slowly rising that this wont be a disaster.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Hopefully he's aware of how bad it was and got it re-done.

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 17, 2009, 09:55:02 AM

Pretty sure thats been confirmed, not sure the source though.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Peteysodes on Jun 17, 2009, 12:23:10 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 17, 2009, 09:55:02 AM

Pretty sure thats been confirmed, not sure the source though.

Ditto, RR himself said they're working on a new script.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed