Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 363,281 times)

Mr. Weyland

Wow man, is this debate still going. I think I have my 2 cents on here from like 7 years ago. I gave up debating in the end, I came to the conclusion that he's either a descendant of C.B. Weyland (with his facial features skipping a number generations) or a freaky Life model decoy. Prototype droid to trick Ripley, who knows.  ;)

Crazy Rich

This thread has been revived time and time again over the ages, it is always the same.

Mr. Weyland

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 21, 2015, 02:12:28 AM
This thread has been revived time and time again over the ages, it is always the same.

I think to be honest is, the people to blame for this, and any other movie type continuity is the filmmakers themselves. They know about these problems and when it comes to the next movie, or a new film in the series, which gives a chance to fix the question, end the debate, they don't. They all always to want to create new cannon, new things, instead of answering the old questions, then moving on.

Its not just this series of movies, it goes to all, and I think it is selfish (as somebody who has done, and still is, involved in some filmmaking) each director/writer who comes along wants to be remembered for his art, whether it makes sense within the context, rather its "I want this sequel to have this and that, even if it means f**king up the canon, I want them to remember me for what I added" and this was Paul Anderson "I will cast Lance as Charles Weyland, he can be the guy who designed the robot in the 2nd movie, but I never cared for the 3rd, so I don't count that one, never mind the errors it will cause, but hey, what a twist".

So basically, its down to what the filmmakers likes and dislikes rather than what the fans like.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Mr. Weyland on Jan 21, 2015, 02:26:41 AMThey know about these problems and when it comes to the next movie, or a new film in the series, which gives a chance to fix the question, end the debate, they don't.

Except there really isn't anything to fix. He's human.

More to the point, ACM confirmed that he's human, for whatever that's worth.

Corporal Hicks

Remind me? I seem to remember a Weyland android being shot.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, they catch up with Weyland on the FTL ship, Hicks executes him, everyone else complains, Hicks says something about there being more than one of them, and he knew this one wasn't real because he wasn't breathing. Something like that.

Corporal Hicks

Doesn't seem very solid.

AvP also shows there being multiple Weyland droids. I can't recall exactly but don't the audio recording allude to it being something to do with Charles' memories.

HuDaFuK

It was a long time ago that I played, but I remember the implication being the Alien 3 Weyland had been a real guy.

The Weylands in AVP2010 didn't really look like Henriksen to me... There was a subtle resemblance, but I don't think they were meant to look exactly like him. But maybe that was just graphical limitations.

Mr. Weyland

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 21, 2015, 10:44:44 AM
But maybe that was just graphical limitations.

Maybe, but at the very end, you see a much more realistic, older looking Lance than the one you fight, so, I don't know. I would like a new AVP game though.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

I think it's open to interpretation for the viewer. Whether the audience believes it to be a droid or a human is simply open to interpretation. I recall Henrikson saying that he believed that the character he played in Alien 3 was an advanced type model or something along those lines when he was out promoting Alien vs Predator. But some other sources out there say otherwise such as the shooting script and others from what I happen to know.

In regards to AvP2010, Karl Bishop Weyland is definitely a synthetic or... so we are lead to believe. The one which players happen to fight in the Marine campaign is definitely a synthetic, but the Karl Bishop Weyland who appears at the end of the Marine campaign.. for me anyway is ambiguous. I mean the endings show now indication to me that he is a synthetic unless I had happened to miss something in the audio logs. Speaking of audio logs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7NTcLS3SQ#ws

Quote from: Mr. Weyland on Jan 21, 2015, 02:36:44 PM
I would like a new AVP game though.

I would love to see a continuation of Rebellion's AvP2010 video game. I absolutely would love to see that particular continuity which hails from the AvP films to be continued and ended properly with a sequel to AvP2010. But something tells me we won't get a continuation but a reboot game or a stand alone game which coincides more with the post PREDATORS and Prometheus material Fox is pumping out.

Doktor Wunderbar

The Karl at the end of the Marine campaign refers to the one you shoot as his predecessor, suggesting that he's another in a long line of droids.

In regard to A:CM, my interpretation was that Hicks noticed that the Weyland torturing him wasn't breathing, and that Weyland is the one he eventually shoots.

I don't consider either of them canon to the films.

RakaiThwei

I consider AvP2010 to be canon with the AvP continuity, but I don't consider Aliens: Colonial Marines to be canon with the Prometheus-Alien continuity.  :laugh:

Local Trouble

Has this thread ever changed anyone's mind?

Vermillion

Android.

Pretty obvious. 

An RKO knocks people out, but oh no...not a lead pipe...it just takes your ear off and you keep speaking sanely. 

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 22, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
Has this thread ever changed anyone's mind?
No, but it's fun to talk about.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed