Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 52,024 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: judge death on May 09, 2021, 10:24:19 PM
I just laugh when he says how he dislike alien 3 and its wrong to kill off children or main charachters in the beginning of a movie.
Enter: terminator dark fate he produced and cowrote: in the beginning kills off john connor and have terminator fans hating it from the start, cameron doing the same thing he says he dislike xD

I hope one day an interviewer points out the irony to him.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Well, some Terminator fans hate it. ;) Dark Fate isn't as good as the first two, for sure, and Tim Miller is no James Cameron behind the camera, but by and large it is the first time I got any actual enjoyment out of a Terminator movie since Judgement Day. :D

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 09, 2021, 09:34:23 PM
Quote from: Huggs on May 09, 2021, 09:09:30 PM
The unrated cut felt like an improvement.

It just felt like the same lame movie, with a tad more CGI blood, to me.

It was more of a combination of the extra gore and extra footage. The difference wasn't enormous, but it did feel like a more complete film. Still a rough movie, but more complete. Instead of just broccoli and mashed potatoes, you finally had some steak to go with it.

Of course, it should've been an R rated production from the beginning, given the subject matter. PG-13 is an archaic rating that is detrimental to the art, imo.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I thought the AvP-R unrated cut was a huuuuuge improvement to the theatrical cut, and it actually had nothing to do with the additional gore for me... but rather the additional scenes and rearrangement.

Huggs

Huggs

Basic AVP made me enjoy AVPR more because AVPR was...well...as brutal as you'd expect an AVP movie to be. AVP unrated felt equal to basic AVPR. and AVPR: Unrated just made a good thing better. I've no desire to watch the theatrical cuts of either again.

And the little things in AVP Unrated aren't much, but the new human interest stuff like the extra dialogue between verheiden and dude kinda slowed things down and added some substance where there wasn't really any before. And yeah, when somebody gets slashed open, it kinda helps the believability to have some blood come out.

I enjoy both movies quite a bit now, and I don't think that would've been the case without the unrated cuts.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 09, 2021, 03:35:51 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on May 09, 2021, 01:10:34 PM
Politically correct?

Yeah PG-13 and stuff, no profanity and almost family friendly. The botched "you're one ugly mother..." is awful in that regard. PG-13 is no matter what a blasphemy for those films.
None of that is "politically correct", that's just ratings guidelines ???

Were they allowed one f-bomb per PG13 back then, or was that after?
They were allowed, but it has to be a non sexual context. Hence "I hope it kills every last f**king one of them", not "ugly mother f**ker".

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Politically correct?

Yeah PG-13 and stuff, no profanity and almost family friendly. The botched "you're one ugly mother..." is awful in that regard. PG-13 is no matter what a blasphemy for those films.

Good question. Possibly after, it would be a shame not using it when you're allowed to. But I can't find any confirmation of that.

SM

SM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 09, 2021, 09:34:23 PM

It just felt like the same lame movie, with a tad more CGI blood, to me.

Ye gods that CG blood...

SiL

SiL

And a whole bunch of scenes that were cut for good reason.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 09, 2021, 11:33:58 PM

Politically correct?

Good question. Possibly after, it would be a shame not using it when you're allowed to. But I can't find any confirmation of that.

I didn't even remember half of these.

SiL

SiL

And they didn't even include AvP's.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on May 10, 2021, 03:19:05 AM
And they didn't even include AvP's.

3:39

SiL

SiL

Argh, I even checked the list! :D

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

The thing that makes The Predator worse than AvP-R for me is mainly the absurdity surrounding the "autism".

Admittedly there is bias from myself having autism when making this choice, but I also say it's a fair bias considering how they massacred my boy, like, autism just doesn't work like that.

To think there are probably some people out there who actually watch this movie and then unironically think "So that's what autism is". Yes like how Isabella of France and Pocahontas were totally not children at all at the time when Mel Gibson fought proud Edward's army and explored colonial New England respectively.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 09, 2021, 09:38:05 PM
Apparently James Cameron's third favourite... ergh...

James Cameron has fine taste

Quote from: judge death on May 09, 2021, 10:24:19 PM
I just laugh when he says how he dislike alien 3 and its wrong to kill off children or main charachters in the beginning of a movie.
Enter: terminator dark fate he produced and cowrote: in the beginning kills off john connor and have terminator fans hating it from the start, cameron doing the same thing he says he dislike xD

Yeah, that's big bloody irony, If ever seen one

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed