Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time.

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 06, 2019, 03:43:04 PM

Author
Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time. (Read 48,262 times)

SM

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 17, 2024, 10:28:55 AMIt's kinda ballsy that they actually went with the whole "killing Ripley" thing in 3. I feel like filmakers  played with viewers expectations in that regard: there're even 3 fake-out death scenes: first, when Dragon goes face-to-face with Ripley in the infirmary, second, when she goes looking for it in the "basement" and third, when Dillon swings his axe. Each time it seems this is it for our beloved hero ... until it isn't. It's almost as if these scenes serve the purpose to reassure the audience that even though they killed Hicks and Newt they're not gonna kill Ripley, right ? There's a chestburster inside her but she's still gonna make it, right ? No matter what Ripley will be fine, right ? Right ? And then BAM - she falls in a fiery void

As I was typing this ^^^ I also realised it's quite poetic that Ripley falls in the same pit where Hicks' and Newt's bodies were cremated. She's finally reunited with them ...

I read the novelisation before the film came out in Australia and she literally dies on the last page. I read it and re-read half a dozen times because I couldn't believe it.

BigDaddyJohn

Yeah I remember that was a huge deal back then. But it was the perfect ending IMHO.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Apr 17, 2024, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Apr 17, 2024, 10:28:55 AMIt's kinda ballsy that they actually went with the whole "killing Ripley" thing in 3. I feel like filmakers  played with viewers expectations in that regard: there're even 3 fake-out death scenes: first, when Dragon goes face-to-face with Ripley in the infirmary, second, when she goes looking for it in the "basement" and third, when Dillon swings his axe. Each time it seems this is it for our beloved hero ... until it isn't. It's almost as if these scenes serve the purpose to reassure the audience that even though they killed Hicks and Newt they're not gonna kill Ripley, right ? There's a chestburster inside her but she's still gonna make it, right ? No matter what Ripley will be fine, right ? Right ? And then BAM - she falls in a fiery void

As I was typing this ^^^ I also realised it's quite poetic that Ripley falls in the same pit where Hicks' and Newt's bodies were cremated. She's finally reunited with them ...

I read the novelisation before the film came out in Australia and she literally dies on the last page. I read it and re-read half a dozen times because I couldn't believe it.
Alan Dean Foster and really abrupt endings to his Alien Trilogy novelisations, name a more iconic duo. I reread Alien last week and the entire last half hour or so is a single chapter.

Prez

Took me a long time (before the interwebs and proliferation of home releases) to remember in Alien3 if at the end the queen burst out or not. I saw the film on it's original theatrical release in the cinemas. Genuinely thought I was imagining it when I saw the Assembly cut and thinking to myself `hey. Didn't ripley grab the queen as it burst out?'

Elmazalman

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 12, 2024, 08:48:30 PMI do remember him being very stubbly at certain points, but not full facial hair.

Parker, has a light beard throughout the film. Watch the 4K, and you'll also notice Lambert's hairy forearm during the start of the chestburster scene - a nicely-detailed 4K image.

[cancerblack]

Would that I had a 4K player.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed