Origin of the Xenomorph

Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 02, 2018, 02:10:12 PM

If you could choose, how did the Xenomorph come to be?

Engineers created them
David created them
Space Jockeys or 'Alpha' Race created them
Yautja created them
Naturally occurring species originating from Xenomorph Prime
The cosmos manifesting itself as a universal wave of extinction to keep technologically advanced races in check
Author
Origin of the Xenomorph (Read 6,627 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, correct.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

In the Aliens Genocide novel it explains that Xenomorph Prime, the planet visited during Female War and Grant's expedition, is wrongly referred to as a Homeworld.

"Not homeworld sir," a supernumery corrected. "Hiveworld."

"The source of all the aliens that have been encountered in this quadrant of the galaxy, from all signs. The source of the queen mother that was brought to Earth - not of the race." tendered another expert.

The extent of the spread of xenos had not yet fully been determined. So far they had been found only on isolated planets; all the clues pointed back to this so called Hiveworld. The Hiveworld had been the source of the Alien-Earth War.

This is the kind of eldritch mystery that needs to return to the series. How did the xenomorphs first spread across the galaxy? Do they even have an actual homeworld out in the furthest reaches of space? Were they seeded by Engineers or Space Jockeys? Have they appeared across the galaxy as some sort of super space plague or cancer? Or have they just always been out there waiting for sentient species to reach the stars?

PsyKore

PsyKore

I like multiple origins, though it's hard to decide. Having the Alien being unknown suits horror extremely well, as the most frightening things are unknown or incomprehensible. But I also like David creating them because it is then strictly anti-human which makes the creature more personal and has its own horrific nature.

The Old One

The Old One

I prefer anti-life myself.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 03, 2019, 12:24:54 PM
I prefer anti-life myself.

Agreed. They do take on traits from their hosts do they not?

The Old One

The Old One

I just think them
being specifically
anti-humanism is
a little...
self centered. lol

PsyKore

PsyKore

Well, I mean, the facehugger is coincidentally a perfect fit for a human, so... It is frightening to think there'd be something out there specifically designed to destroy us. As opposed to the "David the creator" origin as a lot of people are, it does actually fit very well.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Its also a perfect fit for an Engineer. I think it'd be cooler if a race above the Engineers (Space Jockeys) created the Engineers but then some event occurred and they created the Xenomorphs to wipe them out. Just like how the Engineers created us and then intended on using the Black Pathogen to wipe us out.

A cycle of life and death.

Creation and destruction.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 04, 2019, 10:30:26 AM
Well, I mean, the facehugger is coincidentally a perfect fit for a human, so... It is frightening to think there'd be something out there specifically designed to destroy us. As opposed to the "David the creator" origin as a lot of people are, it does actually fit very well.

After realllly mulling it over, and I really did, I actually quite like the idea of David as the creator of the big chap and the life-cycle as we know it. Yes, it upends everything we thought we knew, but, I like how the sexual imagery of the creatures themselves is born out of the creator's inability to sexually reproduce and create life with a mate. That's a bold and compelling explanation and wonderfully Giger-esque.
I'm glad Logan/Scott had the balls to go with it.

Also, evolutionarily speaking, a parasite has to become familiar with the human immune system in order to incubate, and we see that it's a pre-adapted parasite in Alien, now this obviously could have been established with the Engineers since they seeded life on earth, etc, and initially it is as the pathogen/motes, but the classic xenomorph life-cycle harbours so many elements that are too evocative of human genitalia to have been a "naturally" evolved creature, nor would there be as compelling an explanation as to why the Engineers or something else would have cock, etc, so much on their minds; creating something that forcibly rapes hosts via the throat only is a tad too specifically anti-human/anti-mammal, etc, for an interstellar species.

That they are the design of a mad, sexually deranged android is clever and as I said, in keeping with Giger's aesthetic, which wasn't so much predicated on "mystery" but on perverse transfigurations of human sexuality fused with machinery. And I've said this before but it recontextualises the androids in the saga, eg. Ash forcibly shoving a magazine down Ripley's throat, Bishop being in a daze as he admires the "magnificence" of the facehugger, etc, the point being, Androids - good or bad - admire the damn thing, besides Call.

And the company's motivations to secure this "weapon" have been recontextualised as well, they want it because they see it as their "property."  Genetically it's still an alien, technically, its phenotype is just moulded in the image of David's sexual neurosis and mad dreams of "perfection." The sum total of all that still makes it a scary creation, because so much of its deep nature genetically is still mysterious; all David did was take a raw, natural banana and made it more phallic and perversely suited for human (or mammal, etc) violation, which is only logical.   

PsyKore

PsyKore

Very well said. And you're right on the money. I can't always explain why I like certain things about it, so I'm glad people like you are around to do it for me. ;D

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

The prequels may not always execute things perfectly, nor have the best human characterisation, but the world building and the thought put into it conceptually and thematically can't be denied.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jan 10, 2019, 09:59:12 AM
The prequels may not always execute things perfectly, nor have the best human characterisation, but the world building and the thought put into it conceptually and thematically can't be denied.

You must be new here.  ;)

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

:D
Well obviously it can be denied   :D But concepts and thematic ideas can be appreciated without having to like the sum total of all the parts, I think that's what I really mean here.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jan 10, 2019, 09:59:12 AM
but the world building and the thought put into it conceptually and thematically can't be denied.
Ehhhh.... the "world building" is inconsistent from movie to movie. I see it more like Ridley Scott trying to have his cake and eat it too, but on a movie-by-movie basis. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but "world building" implies some sort of over-arching consistency or grander master-plan.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed