Recent posts

Prey / Re: Prey Critic Review Thread
Last post by CANNON - Today at 12:39:38 PM
Quote from: SiL on Today at 09:46:45 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Today at 09:28:57 AMAlso, the hunchback look bothers me. Yes I know why it's like that, but still.
He moves like a movie monster. He looks like a movie monster. Everything that makes the Predator unique as an alien is replaced by a hunched, lumbering space orc with a half decent pirouette.

Absolutely agreed
General Film/TV Discussion / Re: All Star Wars
Last post by TilotnyWorshiper28 - Today at 12:39:04 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Yesterday at 04:34:32 PMThere is going to be footage of something on STAR WARS day ??? 👀👉👈?!
new trailer for acolyte  (and whatever is gunna be attached to the rerelease of phantom menace ) could be the same thing could be a backstage video for acolyte attached to phantom menace or both are a trailer .
Music / Re: Who is your favourite DJ '...
Last post by oduodu - Today at 12:35:13 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Today at 11:38:18 AMDJ Shadow.

real late 80 s vibe. very good.
Alien Films / Re: Favourite Alien Movie?
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 12:35:00 PM
I consider Shaw very much their own character, no matter how you felt about their characterisation. 

Daniels, definitely intentionally a Ripley like, because the film subverts that through David winning.
Last post by Slutty Badger - Today at 12:29:00 PM
Quote from: gold on Today at 11:53:31 AMYes, casting actual Ellen Ripley as opposed to a brunette Hollywood clone.

Again, Noomi Rapace's hair in Prometheus is red, not brunette.

Also, both Ripley and Daniels carry guns because they want to survive against an alien creature.
Last post by gold - Today at 12:07:04 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Today at 11:59:46 AM
Quote from: gold on Today at 11:10:45 AM"Here's yet another bunch of people, led by a female brunette, getting eaten"TM

Like badly copied Chinese car designs that try and copy BMW and Mercedes, the brunette actresses on Prometheus, Covenant and Romulus are even cast to LOOK like Sigourney Weaver.

Noomi Rapace's hair in Prometheus is red. Also, neither her nor Katherine Waterston look anything like Sigourney Weaver.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Today at 12:02:29 PM1. Alien 1979 will likely never ever be beaten.

This thread poll says Alien was beaten by Aliens by nearly a factor of 2.

2. Did you watch to the end of the video? Nothing good about that project.

That's your opinion. Mine is different.

3. Earth War, Colonial Marines, William Gibson's Alien³ novel, comic and audio drama. You have a lot of alternate sequels to Aliens actually.

I meant a movie/videogame moving visual media.

4. I only began to exist in 1997 so can not speak to the reception in 1992 in America, but I do know that Alien³ made more in Europe than Aliens or Alien.

I am European. I speak in terms of European viewers back in 1992. Again, put yourself in the time period. You've seen Alien and Aliens, and nothing else existed. Where did you think and hope it would go? The comics people, while being very out there, had a good artistic idea. In any case, more than more endless metal corridors of people getting eaten.
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 12:02:29 PM
1. Alien 1979 will likely never ever be beaten.

2. Did you watch to the end of the video? Nothing good about that project.

3. Earth War, Colonial Marines, William Gibson's Alien³ novel, comic and audio drama. You have a lot of alternate sequels to Aliens actually.

(People keep trying to outdo the real sequel, they can not in my opinion, hence the prevalence of them existing. They can not accept we got the best possible outcome already in film form.)

4. I only began to exist in 1997 so can not speak to the reception in 1992 in America, but I do know that Alien³ made more in Europe than Aliens or Alien.
Last post by Slutty Badger - Today at 11:59:46 AM
Quote from: gold on Today at 11:10:45 AM"Here's yet another bunch of people, led by a female brunette, getting eaten"TM

Like badly copied Chinese car designs that try and copy BMW and Mercedes, the brunette actresses on Prometheus, Covenant and Romulus are even cast to LOOK like Sigourney Weaver.

Noomi Rapace's hair in Prometheus is red. Also, neither her nor Katherine Waterston look anything like Sigourney Weaver.
Alien Films / Re: Alien returning to theater...
Last post by CANNON - Today at 11:57:07 AM
Quote from: GrimmVision on Today at 05:44:23 AMI was able to get a group of 20 friends and co-workers to see the last screening at an AMC on May 1st for my very late birthday celebration ;D So far, we're the only people in the theater for that showing. There's a handful of people in my group who have never seen it either! 

I got to see the director's cut for the 40th anniversary in a theater, but I'm positively thrilled to finally see the original theatrical release in theaters for the first time!

Here's hoping we get a screening with the interview of Fede and Ridley.

Yeah they had the interview for my showing - was a very nice addition to hear Ridley's insight on the movie.
Last post by gold - Today at 11:53:31 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Today at 11:24:44 AMYou ought to watch this gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskxKtU0ZHQ

@SiL: Yes, casting actual Ellen Ripley as opposed to a brunette Hollywood clone.

@BlueMarsalis79: Thank you so much for that link. What an awesome video.

Neil Blomkamp is me.

It's hard to explain the cognitive dissonance that I sometimes feel when discussing the franchise with people. But for people like me (of my age) who saw these movies as they were released to cinemas there was a -tremendous- let down that happened in 1992. Alien (Scott) was 1 Alien, Aliens (Cameron) was multiple Aliens. We all had such great hopes for A3.

It was going to be all out war on Earth? A venture to the Aliens home planet? More lore? Was the Xenomorph a manifestation of a realm beyond the universe where raw emotions with no logic reigned? Was that why the sexual Giger shapes were so repulsive and attractive at the same time? Why humans couldn't really "place" them?

No, Hicks dead, little Newt dead, all in the opening minute. Ripley comitting suicide at the end.

What a let down.

I know for a fact that this is what we all felt back in 1992.

Blompkamp felt exactly the same thing (there were so many of us). It seems like he really understood where this franchise had needed to go after Aliens. Where it wanted to go.

Say what you like but Blomkamps Alien 5 would haven been an EVENT. The entire fanbase would have looked foreward to it years in advance (and we did).

All we have now of that parallel timeline sequel to Aliens is the 2013 Aliens: Colonial Marines game. Which (at least on PC with TemplarGFX) scratches the itch somewhat.

But man would Blomkamps Alien have been special.

Think about it, it would have been different but- a true sequel to Aliens. Alien 3 was different (way different to what we expected) and has its fans. Blomkamps A5 would have had its fans for decades to come.

In all honesty I think in that parallel dimension, internet polls would be divided between Aliens 1986 and Blomkamps A5 being the single best movie in the franchise.
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed